Vauxhall barracks.

There are 3 types of accomodation you could be stuck in depending on rank:

The Corsa - cheap and chearful, clean enough, usually lived in by young lads

The Astra - Still quite basic, but a step up from Corsa block. Has some gucci add-ons like wifi

The Insignia - Normally lived in by the grown-ups, though unfortunatley still quite crap.

In order to bring it into line with the rest of Europe it's being renamed Opel Barracks as of 01/01/12.

Are you gathering intelligence? Has Terry discovered Arrse?

Mods, I think this thread needs to be culled - if not for opsec reasons then to stop it degenerating into the usual cojones about ATs

How about **** off? If you want to know Info about a level 2 security camp then phone the fuckin RSM, I'm sure he'd prefer this method than it being plastered on here......

Anyone want to add some info with any value to the topic?
How can anyone add value if you haven't specified the questions?

Shiny

How about **** off? If you want to know Info about a level 2 security camp then phone the fuckin RSM, I'm sure he'd prefer this method than it being plastered on here......
To be fair, the OP did ask for a PM. It was the silly, follow up question in post 6 that spoiled it.

So a PM means he is coshier?

I suppose I could of PM'd you. But I don't know where Vauxhall Bks is.... :)

Well outside the wire the town is shit.

The local watering hole, The Queens, is a ******* dive and generally inhabited by a few old grumpy people and those who want to play pool unobstructed (it has a pool room). The landlady is generally quite friendly but she's a bit scary and takes a bit of a liking to any young flesh, it can be a bit unnerving when you go looking for a beer and an old lady with teeth like a fighting patrol says she won't serve you without a kiss. Other than that you get the choice between The Wally at one end of the road, which is a small place divided in half, with half like a traditional shit hole pub and half like a modern shithole nightclub, as such it is generally shit. The bar staff are a little more recent as is the music, but the beer is weak and expensive. At the other end of the road is the Prince of Wales (opposite the train station), which is a bit upmarket but does like the army. They support the EOD charity and do events and sell wristbands and stuff so if you want to go somewhere where you're guaranteed not to get shit, it's the best bet. Be prepared to pay for the novelty though. Aside from that, pub choice is poor. Wheatsheaf is basically in somebody's house, the Crown has been taken over by our coloured cousins from India, the Waterwitch shut down, the Sprat is the worst pub in the world, Broadways is full of people on benefits, except after 1am where it turns into the best place in the world to have a fight with chavs, the Ladygrove is half chav sports bar half creche, in fact I truly can't think of a good pub in town. You can get a cab out to the Fleur in Hagbourne which is about your best bet of somewhere nice to drink, but it's not 'upbeat' by any means. You can always get the train to Oxford and get on the lash, **** a student and get a train home in the morning though, so all is not lost.

For shops it's Tesco, Sainsburys, and charity shops. If you're in the market for a house you're in the right place, any shop that isn't a charity shop is an estate agent. There is a town centre with all the usual shitty shops - phone shops, game, argos... and all the pikey cheap shops didcot needs for it's predominantly benefit funded society. Unfortunately the town centre is a bit of a walk from camp. In fact... everything is a bit of a walk from camp. Up a hill. And if you choose to drive, both routes into town involve a speed camera (2 of 3 in the whole town are between camp and town, covering both roads. I think they were trying to say something).

TakeAway is the one thing you're covered by. There is takeaway of every variety, and an abundance of proper chip shops. Like, 5. The Ridgeway one is the best but it's miles from camp, you're better served by the Brasenose one round the corner by the pet shop, or the one by the fire station. The istanbul kebab shop is good but pricey, Delight 2 down the other end is cheaper but more likely to give you a leaky arrse. If you miss breakfast, you can't beat a Keskins burger or bacon sandwich (or both in one) from the marketplace, proper little working class burger bar. Not too dirty, just got that feel to it. Old coca cola signs and milkshake machines etc. Proper. There's some reasonable eating out options in the town centre, but you're far better off using one of the surrounding villages country pubs. The Barley Mow on the way out to Abingdon is a good example, and you can sit by the river.

That's about it for Didcot, there's nothing interesting there. It's predominantly shit, because the town is inhabited 50% by people on benefits with no intention of ever getting a job, 20% by old people, 29% by families who work in Oxford / Reading whilst their kids attend school, and 1% by those at Vauxhall Bks. So the availability of people who can actually spend money on things other than beer and fags is relatively low, hence the reason that Didcot's core businesses are pubs, offys, takeaways, and charity shops. Anything else, you'll want to jump on a train for Oxford or Reading, or at least drive to Abingdon. The other unfortunate result of this, is that you'll predominantly bump into complete cnuts wherever you go. There aren't many nice people in Didcot. Those who are get beaten up for no apparent reason.

So my vote? Go enjoy yourself, Sunday-Thursday are dull as **** but Friday and Saturday you get the choice of cracking burberry-dressed skulls outside Broadways at 2am after a cheaper drink, or out in Oxford plying fit yet broke female students with slightly pricier vodka jelly before smashing their back doors in until time for first train home and a dirty burger for breakfast.

Could be worse.

Medication run out again TRBD? Can we expect all of your posts to return to a 1000+ words each?

That's a fantastic effort, based on a weekend visit with the cadets. How do you know the pubs are army friendly, did you strut about the place in mixed dress, MoD 90 in hand asking for squaddie discount, from every poor ****** who found themselves in your gangly and embarrassingly dressed path?

Medication run out again TRBD? Can we expect all of your posts to return to a 1000+ words each?

That's a fantastic effort, based on a weekend visit with the cadets. How do you know the pubs are army friendly, did you strut about the place in mixed dress, MoD 90 in hand asking for squaddie discount, from every poor ****** who found themselves in your gangly and embarrassingly dressed path?
Go **** a duck you uneducated flid.

I get the feeling the prince of Wales is army friendly mainly on the grounds that it
A) is full of soldiers sporting the "I'm-trying-to-look-like-a-civvy-but-I'm-no-good-at-it" look
B) has the little unit plaques above the bar
C) has a bar covered in collection tins, t shirts and gizzets for the EOD charity at didcot
D) goes out of it's way to tell the press how much it supports 11 EOD

All in all I would say that is reasonably welcoming. Obviously you will disagree, I assume in your books anything short of filling the pub with naked lingerie models offering free blow jobs with every pint (while you drink) to anybody flashing a mod90 should be assumed as hostility.

I've PMd said blerk.

Dinosaur Poo, well done on your synopsis of Didcot, but the OP really needed a squaddies perspective - who gives a **** about the price of ale in a decent pub?

The landlord is ex-booty.

I've PMd said blerk.

Dinosaur Poo, well done on your synopsis of Didcot, but the OP really needed a squaddies perspective - who gives a **** about the price of ale in a decent pub?

The landlord is ex-booty.
I guessed he might have been. I couldn't see any other reason for the RM plague above the bar, the other 2 are from didcot-based units.

As for the price of beer - not everyone is on the compo payment, some people still have to work their money! ;)