Vatican in Bold Bid to Attract Anglicans

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Virgil, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hadn't seen this posted on Arrse. With all the angry atheist types, CoE'ers and anti-Catholics on Arrse this thread will be fun to watch!

(Where's the popcorn emoticon?) :p

Vatican in Bold Bid to Attract Anglicans

The Vatican said it will make it far easier for disgruntled Anglicans to convert to Catholicism, in one of Rome's most sweeping gestures to a Protestant church since the Reformation.

A newly created set of canon laws, known as an "Apostolic Constitution," will clear the way for entire congregations of Anglican faithful to join the Catholic Church. That represents a potentially serious threat to the already fragile world-wide communion of national Anglican churches, which has about 77 million members globally.

The Anglican Communion has been strained by fights over its relations with other Christian denominations and the church's growing acceptance of gay and women clergy and same-sex marriage. The 2003 election of an openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church, the U.S. branch of the movement, has sharpened those tensions.

Vote: What do you think of the Vatican's idea to fast-track Anglicans seeking to convert to Catholicism?
    The move comes nearly five centuries after King Henry VIII broke with Rome and proclaimed himself head of the new Church of England after being refused permission to divorce.

The new measures also raised questions in Rome. The Vatican so far hasn't released the text of the regulations governing the new Apostolic Constitution, leading some Catholic canon lawyers to question how Pope Benedict XVI will square Anglican and Catholic teachings.

The Vatican has at times provided dispensations to non-Catholic married priests on an individual basis, including Anglicans and Lutherans. Eastern Rite Churches, which are in communion with the pope, also allow their clergy to marry.

Still, relaxing rules on priestly celibacy for a group as large as the Anglican Communion is more dramatic, said Eduardo Baura, a professor of canon law at the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross and a consultant to the Holy See's Congregation of Bishops. "The Pope wants to make it easier to welcome these priests as Catholics," he said. "What I don't know is what will happen to future generations" of priests who might be ordained under the new system.

The Apostolic Constitution calls for the creation of new church structures, called Personal Ordinariates, that will operate under local Catholic dioceses and be administered by former Anglican clergy.
  2. And...sleep. :sleepy:
  3. they're poaching anglicans back? The counter reformation is back on! It only took them the best part of 500 years, the dozy buggers.
  4. Don't harsh my anticipation dude. :evil:

[Edit: Said in the manner of Hurley from 'Lost'.]

5. I think they are vying for an ever dwindling congregation. This news coming from a conservative Pope surprises me and it will be interesting to see how it will work in practice. Methinks there is some spin-doctoring going on...."fast-track" I like it! Might even consider going back.... :oops: 8O
    ....On second thoughts time spent in confession. :roll:
  6. I think the dwindling is relative to where you're at; in the U.S. I think it--Catholicism remained steady due to Hispanic immigration, but membership has decreased among my kind--2d and 3d generation Southern and Eastern European-Americans. [Except the Boston Irish who hate you English so much they stay Catholic to spite you.]

In Western Europe it's competing with Atheism and probably losing ground. [Although a lot of Euros--Russians and Italians I think--have this weird thing where they are atheists but baptize their children and have priests at funerals of dead--also atheist--relatives. I understand that aspect from a cultural perspective.]

I think while in Africa and parts of Asia it the Catholic church (and Anglican in Africa) seems to be booming and vying with Islam. For ex. Catholics are now 11% of the population of South Korea (!) (Protestants 18%); that's a statistic that surprised me.
  7. I read this today and did not see any major change in RC policy other than to make universal policies that were in place in some countries, including the UK for years but not others.

Being a septic sort I had not heard of the UK policies until visiting my son at an independent RC school in the UK. While touring the school with his housemaster discovered that the chaplain was married to the headmasters secretary. Being a septic sort of RC I was surprised but the housemaster explained the chaplain was a convert who had been an Anglican priest and that it had been the policy in the UK for a while that if an Anglican priest converted he could become an RC priest after a fairly brief bit of retraining.

After I was back in the US I discussed this with a cousin who is an Episcopal (i.e. Anglican) priest here. He was well aware of the policy and said that the Episcopal church in the US has a similar policy for RC priests who convert to Episcopal. It certainly was not something that worried him as an Anglican priest.

Must be a slow news day in Vatican City.
  8. So if an RC priest wants to marry, & to continue as an RC priest, he should:

Become an Anglican priest;

Get married;

Become an RC priest again.
  9. Does this mean the Royal Anglians will have to merge with the Swiss guard at the vatican....?
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Can someone tell me just how they plan to entice Anglicans into confessional boxes?
  11. It'll never work for this proud Anglican, and an awful lot of others. "Bless me Father for I have sinned..." "Say four Hail Maries and be good...." Unless it's not like in the movies? :roll:
  12. Sorry, dude. My bad. :oops:

Ahem...fcuking Catholics! A bunch of child-molsesting IRA sympathisers! We should have wiped the Taigs out after Bloody Mary! AND they betrayed the Knights Templar... :pissedoff: :threaten:

Is that better, mate? :wink: :D
  13. My son's local RC god-botherer in Queensland was a former Anglican and is married with IIRC, 9 children.
    Nothing new, just the potential scale of conversion.
  14. "Follow the Holy Gourd"

"No, It is the shoe follow the shoe"
  15. "Look! I'm NOT the Messiah!"

"I say you are, Lord, and I should know: I've followed a few in my time!" :lol: