VAT Numbers

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by oldbaldy, Oct 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Does anyone know if it is possible to find out if a person/company is VAT registered. I know I can check a VAT number to see if it is genuine but I need to look at it from the other end. That is someone trying to charge VAT without the number on the invoice. A the moment I a refusing to pay until I have it but I think there may be a scam!
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

You may well be right. Sounds as if they're charging the VAT and not passing it on.

Talk to the HMRC National Advice Service

National Advice Service

Our national enquiries help line is open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday for all general questions relating to the former HM Customs and Excise only.

So if you have a question about Customs, Excise, VAT or any of our other taxes or duties, please feel free to call us on 0845 010 9000 (+44 2920 501 261 outside UK).

If English is not your first language, we can offer an interpreting service to help with telephone enquiries, and a translation service for written enquiries.

We can help you with queries about the following:

Aggregates Levy, Air Passenger Duty, Climate Change Levy, Customs, Excise, Insurance Premium Tax, Landfill Tax, Money Laundering Regulations, Rebated Oils and VAT.

Rules and procedures.
    Disclosure of confidential VAT information (now Form 64-8).
    Rates of duty or tax.
    Requests for publications, eg forms or notices.
    Duplicate VAT Returns requests.
    Contact details for an office in your area (this may depend upon the nature your query).
    Unfortunately our advisors cannot deal with enquiries relating to case specific transactions. We are also unable to answer enquiries regarding:

Clearing an existing debt.
    The progress of a VAT registration.
    Specific import entry enquiries.
    Matters arising from a visit by one of our officers (please contact the officer).
    Enquiries relating to the former Inland Revenue enquiry helplines.
    Enquiries related to Charities or Disabled Reliefs.
  3. As someone who previously had a very small business, I can tell you that you cannot charge VAT if you are not VAT registered. You can include the VAT in the total price, but it cannot be broken out to show it as a seperate line item on the invoice.

You doo not have to register for VAT if turnover is less than £40,000 in the 1st year, if you expect te exceed that in the 1st and 2nd year of business then you must register for VAT. Then you will be able to charge VAT and also claim VAT back on goods purchased to provide the service.

Hope this helps.

4. OB, from my experience as a small business owner a few years ago, you dont have to be vat registered unless your annual turnover is >£50k. You still have to pay vat though on all your sales/services and in turn collect that vat from your customers. I did it without a vat number and the responsibility to forward the vat to the IR is with the company, not the customer. If you want to dob the company in because you suspect they are not paying vat to the IR then you will always find a listening ear at your local IR office.
    Alternatively, ask them to knock the vat off for a quick deal :twisted:
  5. If the invoice shows a VAT charge and there's no VAT number on the invoice then they're breaking the law. You're right - it's a scam.
  6. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Thank guys. I do know how the Vat system works. I can't go into too much detail & I'm not as far down the road as reporting them yet. I just want to check on the Company/individual. The internet throws up nothing & looking at VAT is next.
    The scam I suspect may not only be for the VAT & it may be an attempt to rip off a charity!
  7. Oldbaldy

Just checked with my financial people on your behalf.

They say there should be a VAT reg no on the invoice/correspondence. Usually in 123 4567 89 format.
    It is also usual to show the registered office address and the organisations registration number.

Their advise is to proceed with caution.

Hope this helps

Kind regards
  8. AM,
    I used to charge vat and pass it on to the IR and i didnt have a vat number. As i said, it depends on your turnover.
    Maybe i am wrong and thats why i was such a shoite businessman!!
  9. A quick google for vat charging threw up this:

C&E linky

If you are after knowing more about the company, have you tried companies house?

Companies House
  10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Sorry to be pedantic guys but I already know all the information you are giving me.

What I am looking at is a reverse look at VAT registration. Now this may be difficult as a Company can be registered in one name but trade in another.
    If I had the VAT number it is easy & I have checked registration from a number with C&R before.
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

OB, as I said earlier, talk to the NAS they should be able to tell you if it is possible to do what you want.

If not just dob them in to the Customs Confidential Hotline 08500 595000
  12. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

That may be my next port of call.