VAT Back to Old Limits

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Norfolknchance, Sep 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone noticed that not many retailers have actually dropped their prices due to the reduction in VAT from 17.5% to 15%? The only one that springs to mind is M&S where the prices are still shown with the old VAT rate on the shelves but a deduction is made at the till.

A couple of months ago, me and the present Mrs Chance were in PC Wxxxx or something like that (there are other computer retailers available) and bought a computer book, list price on the back £20 or so. When I was charged that amount, I queried with the young lad on the till about the VAT reduction. "I knows nuffin about that" he replied.

A pound to the proverbial pinch of sh1t that come the day of the rise to 17.5% VAT again (1 Jan 10), how many retailers will stick a few extra pence on the price and blame the readjustment, even if they've been pocketing the reduction for the past 6 months or so.

OK, now you can bring me the new box nurse.
  2. Argos lowered their prices in the initial two weeks but then a lot of the prices have gone up to the usual vat price and also stuck on a few quid as well.
  3. It's all part of Brown's inflationary master plan. Why not borrow £175Bn, if it's only going to be worth 80% of that in 5 years' time?
  4. 'kin silly me. And there's me thinking Broon's pinching pennies again!

5. 'kin double silly me. Due to Broon's raid on my pocket money, I can't afford a fukking taxi!

6. I don't blame retailers for not dropping printed prices on shelves, the cost of making that change is massive. That I pay a slightly less when I get to the till is fine by me.

IMHO they should have left it at 17.5% in the first place.
  7. I'd be happy too TB if they charged you less at the till but that's my point, in the great majority of cases, they don't. Want to buy a new telly at Currys, pay the price you paid 8 months ago. Likewise a lot of other places.
  8. Don't forget the VAT on petrol/diesel... :pissedoff:
  9. Will this push oficial rates of inflation up by 2.5% thus allowing Bank of England to raise interest rates to keep inflation in check. Bankers are by their nature wary of low interest rates - it makes it difficult to hide their profits.

10. ....if that's all it goes up by.
  11. Spoilsport. :D