VAT 20% Anyone...?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by heard_it_all_before, Dec 9, 2009.

?
  1. 17.5%

42.4%
  2. 18%

10.6%
  3. 19%

4.7%
  4. 20%

34.1%
  5. None of the above?

8.2%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Quick ARRSE Poll before Mr Darling gives us Gordon the Dictator's Pre-Budget Report at 1230..

:D

2. As low as possible so voted 17.5% since IIRC from most things I've read VAT is a fairly regressive tax that disadvantages the poorest sections of society the most.

3. Sorry old mucker, But I did put one option of staying at 15% until the 1st April 2010 but it never included it as an option and I don't know how to amend it.

4. Unfortunately, I think the next budget is going to be painful.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Hopefully 19%

6. And you think Alistair and Gordy give a shit about them?

20% on luxury items such as flat screen televisions, sky subscriptions, and introduction of VAT for certain periodicals on the top shelf.

7. I have a number of commercial clients who couldn't care less as they reclaim their VAT. However, I also have a number of charitable clients who have to pay VAT and therefore suffer when the rate goes up.

Personally, I can't understand why the brought the tax rate down. It made no difference to Joe Public, and cost businesses tens of thousands. Whatever they decide to go with, they should stick to it.

8. I think that with one eye on next year's General Election they will keep the rate as it is telling us it's a marvellous boost to the economy and a triumph. They will up the underlying duty on booze, fags and fuel. They may even look at an extra hike on certain alcoholic products to discourage binge drinking but those will be brought in after the New Year so as not to ruin anyone's Christmas.

9. It made no economic difference.

What it did do was show Labour "tackling" the recession.

When your voters are thick as mince, any old dross policies you throw out will help get your core voters out.

10. Alot of places didn't change their shelf prices, what's the betting they find the energy to change them in Jan when it goes back up?

11. Probably another good reason for them not to put the rate back up. Not a good idea to start an election year with 2.5% price rises on Jan 1st! Where the underlying duty has gone up the price rise will be even more because it will be 2.5% of the goods plus extra duty so, if 1 ltr of fuel (assuming fuel costs were stable) cost £1.00 before 1st Dec 2009 it will go up to £1.02 on 1st Jan 2010. Beer and fags will do the same.

12. What a bone statement.

13. Put VAT up and the public stop buying products. Stopping buying creates lack of demand and thus unemployment. He made his bed but we have to sleep in it. Take it his wife looks after the household accounts!!!

14. Thats bollox. Cutting VAT didn't make people spend, putting it back to 17.5% won't stop people spending.

Assuming it goes back to 17.5%, you'd have to buy something big and expensive to notice the difference.... e.g. a 2.5% rise in VAT would add £750 to the price of a £30K car... but if you can afford a £30K car then whats £750??

15. Exactly, bin VAT totally and raise the difference from income tax.