Vasaline as a weapon lubricant ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by woody, Oct 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just back from sunny sennybridge .Some bloke was claiming coating the working parts of a gpmg in vaseline before firing would prevent the carbon sticking to it .Anyone heard of this :?
    Sounds utter rubbish to me imho I 'd have thought the vaseline would burn off with first round down range and either effect function of gun or just add muck to be cleaned off it.

2. He was possibly going to insert it where the DS suggested?. But I have seen it used on weapons in wet conditions. but not on working parts.

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

working parts? Rubbish.

I mean, by all means test it, but if your weapon ends up stinking like a fat slags **** passage then don't blame me..

4. :lol: Men use Vaseline on their weapons dont they?Dont much (cocking) coking up with them,apparently :? :?

5. I've heard of it being used on external bits like the flash eliminator to guard against rust, but not on the working parts. Vaseline just melts at higher temparatures* and turns to a thin oily liquid. Wouldn't be much good as a weapon lubricant.

WD40 was much better at keeping the carbon from building up, but only for short periods. In prolonged firing it just burned off and you were back to square one.

*Look, I just know, ok?

6. If it rains you get wet.

If you fire a weapon you get carbon build up.

7. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

What a disappointing thread! I thought I was going to learn.............well, much more, to be honest.

About keeping weapons clean!.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Goretex... Hello...

so clearly thats the answer, coat your weapon with a bit of Gary and away you go. Or use a bow and arrow.

9. Gore Tex, delaying what is going to happen anyway.

10. Vaseline? Might as well use K. Y. for all the good it will do...

Seriously, any part affected by high-pressure gas will have whatever you put on it burned off really quickly anyway.

11. Or cause a stopage at the moment of truth!!! Not bad in SENTA but a life changer in SANGIN.

12. There might be some merit in coating gas parts in dry lubricant, such as graphite, or one of these newfangled ceramic lubricants, but this anorak's first guess is that the lubricant will be washed off within half a dozen rounds anyway, through sheer mechanical action of the gases.

Personally, I don't scour my SLR gas parts back down to shiny, I just remove any caked on fouling as necessary and haven't had any issues.

13. Best way to keep your weapon clean is to leave it in the armoury.

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Or if you are RM, just drop it over the side when the Iranians look like wanting to nick your iPod

15. !No! FFS, NO!

Vaseline is a petroleum-based lubricant; K-Y is a water-based lubricant. I have known of people who used Vaseline as a post-cleaning coat on their target barrel to prevent rust in storage. I also heard of one lad who tried same with K-Y, only to discover a slightly rusty rifle in his gun case the following week....

Apocrypha: this is also the reason why Durex recommend that you use K-Y and not Vaseline... the petroleum damages the latex...