Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Various site problems.

On Firefox AD Block isn't causing the problem for me as I've just found out. It's Ghostery that is causing the problem. This site wants me to disable tracking which I am not going to do.

I enable Ghostery and this is what I get on every page.

1.gif

Yeah, I didn't realise at the time but I lost some bookmarks too but, like you, the consent window has disappeared :)
Wots a bookmark ;-);-);-)

Dunno, just thought it sounded quite techy ;-)
It does ... doesn't it .... I had to check to see what a saved Website is called on my Samsung .... Bookmark ... obvious really as I use Google on my Laptop and Mob Tel as default ... hope this is not a wind up .

jg505

War Hero
It does ... doesn't it .... I had to check to see what a saved Website is called on my Samsung .... same as Google .... Bookmark ... hope this is not a wind up .
No, I'm just playing along. I actually don't have that many websites bookmarked, I just keep my most important ones open, as a tab. But I did lose all my open tabs when I cleared the app data.

Click on the padlock beside the URL, a drop down box will appear, click om site settings, when the new window opens click on clear data, it will tell you that you will be signed out of the site, click on ok and then close both windows, log back into arrse and it should work properly again
That worked , my life is saved.

On Firefox AD Block isn't causing the problem for me as I've just found out. It's Ghostery that is causing the problem. This site wants me to disable tracking which I am not going to do.

I enable Ghostery and this is what I get on every page.

View attachment 515814

I have Ghostery as well and I'm getting this too, only started 2 days ago. It's very annoying and I have to whitelist Arrse to get rid of it but it only happens on the Arrse website.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to have Ghostery installed - found it too problematic and there are / were issues with whether it was creating a fingerprint in itself.
I've found uBlock Origin, Canvas Blocker, Privacy Badger & 'I don't care about cookies' to be more than adequate and provides more 'defence in depth'.
Using AmIUnique it 'worryingly' reports "You are unique among the 2798896 fingerprints in our entire dataset." which in reality isn't a problem because variables are changed every page visit. You might realise that at some point this gives a uniqueness of '1' - which is bad, if it were the same uniqueness for the next page, but it isn't. You can have a uniqueness of '1' or more repeatedly, but if the tags are different for each page / site, then it's a different '1' - which is fine, because it'll never be seen again.

Tool

LE
With Adlok Plus on Firefox - logged out of ARRSE, deleted cookies, logged back in. No further issues over the past couple of days.

What's the solution on Edge, please?
Very odd, as the problem is persistent on ARRSE, but no sign of the issue "next door"

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Edge is now based upon Chrome, so anything that works with that, 'should'.......

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Although some implementations are better than others.
No, it's Chrome, entirely developed to shove advertising at you and reap your browsing history / personal data for Google to trade for it's benefit, anything else - like the ability to browse the internets is purely secondary. Same goes for Chromium, but with more 'klunks'.

SWJ99

War Hero
I seem to be getting this one every page on this site I open.

Attachments

• manage options bullshit.JPG
    manage options bullshit.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 16

Good CO

Admin
I seem to be getting this one every page on this site I open.

it's the standard cookie consent dialog that we, like most sites that rely on advertising, analytics, login mechanism etc have been forced to use. The last few pages are full of discussion. If it keeps coming back after consenting, or configuring it, then these posts may be helpful:

Without this no advertising, without advertising, no site

In some browsers ad blocking is automatic by default. This will usually be shown by an icon to the right of the URL field. Implementations vary but in my case I simply click on the icon, A drop down box appears. This shows whether or not protection against adverts is enabled. For ARRSE, I disable it by using the switch in the drop down box. ARRSE ads are not hindering my access or speed. The site depends on this source of income (with ads) and subscriptions (for ad free).

Specific ad block plug ins / add ons usually have a very similar method of managing your preferences, with exclusions on a per site basis.

it's the standard cookie consent dialog that we, like most sites that rely on advertising, analytics, login mechanism etc have been forced to use. The last few pages are full of discussion. If it keeps coming back after consenting, or configuring it, then these posts may be helpful:

Without this no advertising, without advertising, no site
I'm not getting an advert thing but this:

Welcome to Army Rumour Service​

Army Rumour Service asks for your consent to use your personal data to:​

• perm_identity
    Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development
  • devices
    Store and/or access information on a device
expand_more
Learn more
Your personal data will be processed and information from your device (cookies, unique identifiers, and other device data) may be stored by, accessed by and shared with third party vendors, or used specifically by this site or app.
Some vendors may process your personal data on the basis of legitimate interest, which you can object to by managing your options below. You can withdraw your consent at any time by visiting our privacy policy page.

Consent Manage options

Latest Threads