Vanishing tricks

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Does anyone apart from me notice that useful things suddenly stop being sold?

Lately I have been unable to find in either supermarkets or cheapo shops (1) mothballs plain and simple other than moth repellents in snazzy plastic cases at extra cost and (at all) (2) those small yellow pan scourers.

Thought I would ask ARRSE before writing to the Times.

I think not only are they toxic to children, cats dogs, gerbils and moths but also tend to put holes in many man made fibres. Hence the cover so that those who don't read labels and safety instructions won't sue them.

BTW other useful things that you can't easily by in the shots these days are the old fashimnded flying saucers in decent colours and "hot" sherbet. Now it is pastel colours and hardly fizzy sherbet with no added artificial colours etc.

The other thing you can't get in the shops these days is full bore self loading pistols and rifles :-(

Get with it, what you need is Cedar Wooden Moth Ball, available from most online places and DIY stores

And they are very cheap ( from around 2.50 for 24 balls )

Does anyone apart from me notice that useful things suddenly stop being sold?

Lately I have been unable to find in either supermarkets or cheapo shops (1) mothballs plain and simple other than moth repellents in snazzy plastic cases at extra cost and (at all) (2) those small yellow pan scourers.

Thought I would ask ARRSE before writing to the Times.

Try Wilco's, also they have newer better pan scourers there which are far prettier (and more efficient):

go on Amazon and type what you want.

I find its best to get odds and sods/ironmongery etc online . I have found quite a few people who sell stuff on ebay that you cannot easily find nowadays for a reasonable price . I have a local place that also sells quality cookware but most stuff is completely over the top price wise eg 3-1 oil would be £4.99 compared to £1.99 in a diy store .

One thing that drove me nuts was not being able to find a decent can opener ! I bought ones ones from Tesco which were something like £6.99 and they didnt even work . Eventually i found traditional metal ones , British made online for .99p so bought 4 of them .

Daz

LE
I'm doing a bit of blacksmithing as a hobby (built my own forge). I tried to get borax powder for mixing a flux for forge welding, but can't get it anymore in Germany due to the Chemicals Act. Since it is slightlytoxic, it can only be sold to commercial enterprises, not to private persons anymore. Thanks for the internet I bought a few kilos from a source in the UK.
The same applies to zinc chromate primer I need for the restoration of anold airplane. While it is still available in the US, it is banned in Europe for private persons. Only thing is that I am a licenced aircraft maintenance engineer and doing the same thing I do at work in my off time for a friend.