Vanguard Airborne Pegasus webbing?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by KleenUpGuy, Dec 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking into buying a new set of webbing i'v tried multiple sites and i am still yet to make a final decision. Does anyone have any experience with this webbing or a written review? I can't seem to find any.
  2. Vangard makes good webbing and its all made in the uk and molle makes good sense kit Monster
  3. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

The build quality is excellent and we have sold the various sets for about 9 months with no negative feedback. They are items that we have on our list of equipment to review in conjunction with the review team on ARRse so hopefully we will have a review online in the not too distant future.
  4. Is there anywhere that sells it in store so o can have a look at a physical set? Or how can I get on the review team?
  5. Aren't you just waiting to join up? I think the general rule is Issue Tissue until at battalion.
  6. Still got a couple of years left in cadets, need some more webbing so the plan is buy a set that will last.
  7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Its good that you are keen on your hobby and its good that you are focused on a possible future career, but you need to keep things in perspective. If money is no object then crack on but otherwise there may be other things you could think about spending your money on. Buy a cheap second hand set of PLCE which will serve you well in the cadets. Spend the rest on things that will help you do well at school or with the opposite sex.

On a purely practical note you are probably aware that DPM is being phased out and MTP is coming in. By the time you join the army we will all be in MTP. So if your kit is going to be of any use to you in couple of years time it will need to be in MTP or multicam which is expensive to buy at the moment and will make you look a bit of a plonker in the cadet force.
  8. I'v been wonderring this, will MTP still be used when training in the UK etc.? Or is it just for use on tour?
  9. BuggerAll

MTP is replacing DPM. At the moment it is only being used on Ops whilst stocks of MTP are being built up and stocks of DPM are being exhausted. It is due to start being issued to units in 2012 - a year away and is expected to take about 2 years to fully roll out.

The cynic in me says it will take longer but I've been told by people who claim to know that in fact we are running out of DPM faster than anticipated. So who knows when but the chances are you will be in MTP by the time you join or certainly very soon after.

I notice you stay in Nottingham. You can get lots of cheap PLCE at Anchor Supplies don't waste your money on anything fancier.
  10. The QM at my unit is collecting up the unissued sets to be back loaded. From what he told me there is a shortage of PLCE.
  11. been to anchor, dont liek the kit, i have a set of webbign i just want a better set to be honest. I wont be joining until after college so it will be atleast another 2 years, so MTP seems the sensible choice. Now looking into prices on MTP kit, buying a molle system seems sensible but it's rather expensive without issue pouches, so airborne webbing seems a viable option, found a set for 150 minus yoke on kitmonster, gonna see how much 1157T charge
  12. Running round cadets in a £150 MTP MOLLE rig is going to make you look a complete berk, and it will probably get stolen too.

Setting up a set of PLCE properly is good enough for many (if not most) professional infantrymen in the UK. Thus, I'm sure in cadets it'd suit you fine. In fact, with the cadet syllabus being based on Army training from many years ago, it's probably better suited than modern webbing, which is designed with current combat in mind; as the cadet syllabus was written around the same time PLCE came out.

What don't you like about it? Anything particular or just the fact it's not shiny enough? It doesn't cost close to £150 to replace 1 double ammo with a velcro closing 'airborne' pouch, add a hippo pad and fit it with a wider yoke. They're the only changes I've made to my issue set. If PLCE isn't 'good enough' for you, in cadets, you need to spend time setting it up properly, not just money buying more expensive sets. A set of properly set up PLCE is hard to beat for running around the fields of england without body armour on.
  13. BuggerAll

Good advice from Dinosaur Poo. You don't need it but You can get an issue DPM assault vest for peanuts now which will leave you with money to spend on more useful things.

Buy a suit ( at TK Maxx), host a New Year's Eve party with totty, buy a subscription to the Economist
  14. Ive just stuck to the issue stuff that I managed to get while I was a cadet and added the hippo pad and velcro ammo pouches and it works just as well as all the shiny non issue stuff. The best part is it cost me 20 for the ammo pouch an the rest was free courtisy of the depot in Ballymena when it closed down. Use the money on beer an women!
  15. My current set is kombatuk with piches sewn together and a issue hip pad, I think I'll just go about converting the belt to roll pin and I'll be happy with it.