Van Gogh museum

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by s***tingInABag, Sep 6, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Tags:
  1. s***tingInABag

s***tingInABag On ROPs

Although I've never really 'got' paintings and art I was more than happy to go along with Mrs Shootinginabag to the van Gogh museum in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago.

Since we got back it's been not far from my mind.

I was not prepared for the effect of actually seeing his work, especially the oil paintings in the flesh, so to speak. When you actually get to within a foot of these beautiful pieces, Sunflowers and especially one of the night sky (the name escapes me), the emotions that this tortured genius was experiencing some 130+ years ago is almost palatable in the brush strokes and the use of colours.

The museum itself is very well laid out, giving you the progression of his artistic career, along with his frankly depressing life story, so that you come away feeling that you know the man fairly well. His mental health issues are well documented and almost certainly led to his untimely demise at age 37.

Are any other arrsers into art? Van Gogh, or any other artists? If so did you discover art as an old git such as I (nearly 50).

Thoughts on the van Gogh museum?

• Like Like x 2
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 2
  2. Van Gogh Museum is very well laid out, I visited some years ago just after a major refurbishment to make it look as it does today, they had a massive collection on display then because they borrowed some of the paintings from other museums around the world.

If you go back to Amsterdam the Rijksmuseum is incredible, especially following its recent 8 year refit. Holland has some incredible art museums if you can get on the train to Haarlem and Den Haag!

• Like Like x 2
  3. s***tingInABag

s***tingInABag On ROPs

Alas, I didn't have time for the Rijksmuseum this time. It has been recommended by a number of people to me though

4. Fish and Chips

Fish and Chips On ROPs

About ten years ago the BBC2 did a brilliant docu drama about him, I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called but since then there has been several on the dutch masters usually presented by Andrew graham Dixon.

Leyden is one of my favourite destination for a short break it is the home to several of the dutch master painters I go every couple of years [its best in Autumn], it is just like The Dam but without the sleaze perfect for families. You are right there is something haunting about their lives and works, and walking around these places you realize you are often looking at what they saw.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

I went to the Louvre on Bastile Day, mainly because it's free then, I am Scottish after all, as the wife wanted to see Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. It was like a Rugby scrum trying to see a tiny painting behind a security screen. However in the massive room there are a lot of Italian Renaissance masters, I spent the thirty minutes she took getting to the front to take a selfie in front of it, standing alone in front of some beautiful paintings. The mass of people there complete ignored all the other paintings.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Next time you're there grab a bit of this:

Rijksmuseum – The Museum of the Netherlands - in Amsterdam

Go to London and do everywhere but especially here:

The National Gallery, London

Brussels and go here:

Home – Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium

Madrid and go here:

Visit the Museum - Museo Nacional del Prado

Give yourself a couple of days at each, don't use tour guides, buy the visitors catalogue and read online before visiting. Don't want to get somewhere and find that they've lent out something you want to see.

Go back again. Visit your local museums and galleries, bit hit and miss but the odd gems are there.

• Like Like x 3
  7. s***tingInABag

s***tingInABag On ROPs

Indeed, he died in poverty, misery and obscurity. He wasn't revered until well after his death.

Fiction, I know. But I rather enjoyed this Dr. Who scene where the good doctor takes Vincent back to the future to see the impact that he had.

Dusty when I see this etc

• Like Like x 1
  8. s***tingInABag

s***tingInABag On ROPs

I did the Vatican museums about 5 years ago one March. It was pleasant weather, but not overly busy and I spent all day drinking in the endlessly beautiful sights that the Catholic church robbed from around the world.

Again, seeing pictures of the cystine chapel on the PC or TV doesn't do it justice. I stood, mouth agape for about 30 minutes until I was hoofed out of there. Truly astonishing. As a highly sceptical agnostic, I don't subscribe to the dogma, but by gum doesn't it occasionally inspire some awesome creations at times

• Like Like x 2
  9. Did the Vatican museums a few years back, utterly amazing, particularly the lead up to the Cistine Chapel, the Gallery of the Maps was most interesting, and the incredible accuracy with which the mariners could draw the coastline around italy without the aid of triangulation or satellite was amazing. You need some form of neck support when you walk down those corridors as the paintings and charts are from floor to ceiling. Cistine chapel is jaw dropping but again likely to cause neck strain from looking at the detail!

Another very good museum in Amsterdam is the Scheepvaartsmuseum (Maritime museum and nothing to do with sheep!) which again has some amazing seascapes and pictures of battles (particularly with the British). Most interesting of all is the charts of "New Arnhem" or the North Western coast of Australia from decades before we "discovered" Australia.

10. One very good one to add to your list - the Fitzwilliam in Cambridge. Excellent museum with plenty of artworks from all round the world, celebrating its 200th year this year.
    The Fitzwilliam Museum |

• Like Like x 2
  11. Without doubt the best art gallery I have been in - unexpectedly - was during the tour of Buckingham Palace. The Royal Collection is almost unbelievable with paintings from all of the Old Masters and all or most of the Impressionists.

Because I wasn't expecting it the impact was huge.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I much prefer the Rijksmuseum if I'm honest but where the Van Gogh scores is in its scale - easy to do in a morning which is not always the case at the other side of Museumplein. As @Graculus points out, the Musees Royaux Beaux-Artes in Brussels are also worth your time and reasonably well-sized.

Here are some pictures from the Van Gogh, taken by my own fair hand:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. s***tingInABag

s***tingInABag On ROPs

The skull is popular with the pot smoking yoof and it's easy to get why.

The middle oriental inspired piece is one of my favorites

14. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Give me a shout if you want to see some stuff from the other places mentioned and I'll bang some up on Imgur or summat. Did two years History of Art at sub-honours level at university (like a ponce).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Got to agree with the OP, seeing them in the flesh is a completely different experience to TV, or photographs. Took the wife a few years ago as she loves the arty bollocks, expected to be bored to tears but really enjoyed it.