Van-friendly car parks in Brecon Beacons NP?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by 4(T), Aug 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I haven't been near the Brecon Beacons for years - traumatised from my days of commuting up there in the big white bus...

I'm dragging the missus up there for a bit of fresh air. Female antipathy to mountains/rain/exercise is going to be bad enough, but we're due to drive up in the middle of the night - and flogging around in the dark looking for a parking spot is likely to lead to more marital tension.

Are any of the car parks around Pen-Y-Fan accessible to a high-top van, or do they all have anti-van height limiters these days?
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Park directly opposite the Storey Arms - no height limit.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Yep - and make sure you beast her up Fan-y-big before breakfast :D
  4. Then stop off at the burger van on the next bend on the way to Brecon.
  5. Are you just parkin or over nighting?

Car parks for hightops
    Storey Arms SN 982 203, 988196, both ok but not much good for over nighting, noisy

you can get a hightop up the Talbont road to Torpantau SO 055 175 and there are a couple of carparks/picnic sites along that road to Pontsticill

Also try the carparks on the other side of the Llwyn-on reservoir from the A470

If you want a nice quite over night , try Penwylt , South Wales Caving Club car park SN 855 155 drive up the hill from Craig y nos untill reaching the quarry and bear left through the gates keep going for 1/4 mile and you will find a real nice place, I just might be parked there
  6. Llanthony Priory. Nice place south of Hay on Wye, eastern end of the Brecons.
    Basic car park in the field for camping, fresh water and a pub in the basement.

7. you can over night in the pay and display in the town of Brecon for free , see signs for info. But not this weekend as it is the jazz fest
  8. 4 (T) I recently went on a course at IBS Brecon after many years away - beware, the coneheads have become more militant.

They now have their own parliament so they hate us English even more. This manifests itself in their roadsigns that resemble Chinese Puzzles with loads on gobbledygook on everyone to confuse English Drivers.

TV is full of gibberish - SC4, and they have become more sloth looking - obese, earrings, tattoos etc.

Sarah Siddons is still there though with the resident slappers - the 4 toe variety.
  9. Thanks all - great info!
  10. How safe is the Storey Arms car park if you want to leave your car there for a few days?
  11. Don't it's not a very good idea, Put it somewhere safe and bus it
  12. with a video camera set up no doubt? :wink:
  13. Park where you want in Wales; just black out your windows, and paint a black camera on the back
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator England :wink:

Attached Files: