Values and Standards - Actually practicing it

Spud930 said:
Richard_Hannay said:
Spud930 said:
Having been in a similar situation (being the injured party), the system of Values and Standards including AGAI allways comes down to the service question before any form of punishment or retribution can be brought forward. This can take an age to be processed. If the service question has been failed then the Officer in question should be brought before the bench and the appropriate action taken. However in a TA unit it would be difficult to put the service question into it's correct perspective.
I would argue that if any Officer is involved in social misconduct, then it does affect the operational effectiveness of his unit as he is no longer fit to carry out administrative action on those under his command.
I agree entirely with you but the service question will be hard to put into practice in a situation as this. Was the relationship in question started through links to the TA or from outside the unit?
An officer is always subject to military law, so if it started outside the unit, it matters not. If he is shagging the partner of another soldier and / or committing adultery he is no longer fit to carry out his disciplinary duties as an officer.

What would I do? Go to an officer I know and trust to do the right thing (could be the CO, 2IC or TM or the OC) and make my complaint formally. Either way, its doing right by the injured party and ensuring this to$$er is no longer commanding soldiers.

Richard_Hannay said:
Spud930 said:
Richard_Hannay said:
Spud930 said:
Having been in a similar situation (being the injured party), the system of Values and Standards including AGAI allways comes down to the service question before any form of punishment or retribution can be brought forward. This can take an age to be processed. If the service question has been failed then the Officer in question should be brought before the bench and the appropriate action taken. However in a TA unit it would be difficult to put the service question into it's correct perspective.
I would argue that if any Officer is involved in social misconduct, then it does affect the operational effectiveness of his unit as he is no longer fit to carry out administrative action on those under his command.
I agree entirely with you but the service question will be hard to put into practice in a situation as this. Was the relationship in question started through links to the TA or from outside the unit?
An officer is always subject to military law, so if it started outside the unit, it matters not. If he is shagging the partner of another soldier and / or committing adultery he is no longer fit to carry out his disciplinary duties as an officer.

What would I do? Go to an officer I know and trust to do the right thing (could be the CO, 2IC or TM or the OC) and make my complaint formally. Either way, its doing right by the injured party and ensuring this to$$er is no longer commanding soldiers.
Thats what I did and was commended for not battering him into the next dimension!

Spud930 said:
Richard_Hannay said:
Spud930 said:
Richard_Hannay said:
Spud930 said:

Thats what I did and was commended for not battering him into the next dimension!

Good for you mate and IMO, battering the to$$er just lets him off easily, much better to let have have the life long reputation as a cnut.

There was a very capable officer of my acquaintance who had made another officer's wife pregnant. Amazingly, he wasn't kicked out, although had to transfer to another cap badge. His history followed him, his career was screwed and he went no where. In the end he took the hint and resigned. Sometimes these things take a while to come to fruition. But if you cant wait, just shoot the cnut. ;)

Richard_Hannay said:
There was a very capable officer of my acquaintance who had made another officer's wife pregnant. Amazingly, he wasn't kicked out, although had to transfer to another cap badge. His history followed him, his career was screwed and he went no where. In the end he took the hint and resigned. Sometimes these things take a while to come to fruition. But if you cant wait, just shoot the cnut. ;)
That'll happen in a year or two!

However back to the thread. If the officer is brought before the bench it will take a long time to process. The guidelines for timings in AGAI are a rough timeline. A regular investigation and processing can take upto six months so don't expect any outcome to happen overnight. My situation started in Feb and still hasn't been resolved!!! :evil:

Why are there so many sex related scandals in the army and TA in comparison with the other services, for example the Andrew? Do the RN just reign it in more, despite being in close quarters with one another for months on end, or is it just not publicised as much?

Re values and standards in the TA, I think there is more incidences of relationships between OCs/officers and lower ranks for example, simply because we are not full time soldiers. As long as its kept in civvy street, isnt adulterous and noone else in the unit is made acutely aware of it on drilli nights/training exs/ops, then I dont see a problem with it. (Obviously, in the regs it is very different, as you are subject to military law 24/7).