Value of TEFL to British GDP

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Kromeriz, Aug 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many moons ago, I heard from an UKTI bod that TEFL was worth 20Bn GDP to the British Economy. Does anyone have a more current figure? Can that figure be put into the context of the overall economy?

Given that large sums are spent on TEFL, and in a more general sense higher education, what impact is the current anti Europe campaign, anti immigration stance having on that market?

Cheers

Krom

2. My understanding of TEFL is that Europe is not a significant growth area for this service. The Far East pay decent money to be taught by (usually white) English speakers. In China they pay UK rates for private tuition in Engrish, but if you are not white, or even if you are mixed race Chinese and can add value to a lesson forget it.

English is a key skill in most markets and our own social policies would have a negligible impact on its popularity. German is also growing in popularity in financial markets across Asia.

3. I fully support your point - however, when you combine the training with soft skills for instance and getting people over to the UK, I do wonder if Euro-skepticism is having an impact - people go to other English speaking countries - er... Ireland for example, I know, I know... but there, they can use Euros, and Ireland is maybe a tad more europhile than GB.

As to your point about rates, Prague is shelling out upto GBP40 / 45 minutes, plus the books printed by Oxford and Cambridge et al. Riga is only GBP20 and Bratislava was GBP30. However, it is when combined with soft skills that the rates really ratchet up and it is a market that is supported by EU structural funds; gut feeling is, the UK is loosing market.

4. Well, the days even of Anglophone nations being the big 'I am' of EFL are coming to an end if not actually over.

Blighty is certainly being hit hard by the sheer bawsache of getting a Tier 4 visa and given the government's already squeezed as large a cut in immigration out of those as they surreptitiously can, Student Visitor Visas are the next likely target. This is going to hit short-course learners who're here to polish their skills hardest as complete beginners need longer than this type of visa can be granted for.

Meanwhile, those coming to the UK for fraudulent reasons simply carry on applying for tourist visas for the price of a return ticket they only ever intend to use one half of.

Still, at least our politicians get lovely headlines and "tough on darkies, tough on the causes of darkies" soundbites, so that's alright.

• Like Like x 2