Kit Reviews Vallejo US NAVY & USMC Colours WWII 1940-1945 – Set 71.157

Here’s another paint review, in this case it’s the current go to set for the Pacific Group Build, its Vallejo Model Air Set 71.157 US NAVY & USMC Colours WWII 1940-1945

AV Vallejo Model Air Set - USN Aircraft Set (x8).jpg

This set comes in Vallejo standard box with a top opening flap and loose bottles inside, not quite up to the standard of the AK boxing reviewed before, but it is up to the job and its not really a deal breaker – inside the box, there’s the standard colour chart applicable to this set with suggested schemes along with 8 bottles of the follow paints:

· 71.109 Faded P.R.U. Blue

· 71.121 Light Gull Grey

· 71.277 Dark Gull Grey

· 71.279 Insignia White

· 71.295 USN Sea Blue

· 71.298 M495 Light Grey

· 71.299 Intermediate Blue

· 71.300 Glossy Sea Blue

71157-aircraft-color-schemes.jpg

As noted on previous reviews, colour matching can be quite hard to quantify, as it depends on the source you use, saying that, there’s been no complaints by any of the builds participants as to colour matching.

As to the quality of the paint, I’m had no real problems with them apart from weather related issues – spraying during the hot weather was a bit of a pain due to how quick the paint dried, so I cant blame the paint for that.

If you are going to be using thinners/retarders, the makers do recommend that you use Vallejo’s own items, however, I tend to use whatever’s lying around the workbench, such as Tamiya’s thinners with no adverse effects.

I would recommend that you do use a decent basecoat/undercoat, as with all acrylics they can be prone to chipping & scratching, therefore a clear varnish coat is worthwhile.

The only addition to the set that most modellers might not have in the paint box is Vallejo Model Air 71.091 Signal Blue – You’ll need that if you fancy doing your own markings, see Si’s SBD build for inspiration

5 stars out of 5

side.jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nice thread @daz you answered the question I was going to ask, namely about undercoat. I tend to use a light grey primer spray on all my models or dark grey for anything Olive Drab or darker.

Nice thread @daz you answered the question I was going to ask, namely about underfoot. I tend to use a light grey primer spray on all my models or dark grey for anything Olive Drab.
I've got the standard Vallejo mid grey primer, so I tend to use that, but as it needs to be thinned a bit to get it to spray. I tend to thin it with both thinners and standard paint, either lighter or darker depending on what colours I'm using.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've got the standard Vallejo mid grey primer, so I tend to use that, but as it needs to be thinned a bit to get it to spray. I tend to thin it with both thinners and standard paint, either lighter or darker depending on what colours I'm using.
I use halfords car primer. It dries quickly, doesn't need thinning and one pass generally covers the required area. I wouldn't recommend it for soft plastic models as they tend to melt into a snotty heap.

I use halfords car primer. It dries quickly, doesn't need thinning and one pass generally covers the required area. I wouldn't recommend it for soft plastic models as they tend to melt into a snotty heap.
Tried it once, never again.... me and rattlecans don't get on :)