Paint & Tools Vallejo Model Air Set - Luftwaffe Colors 1941 to end-war

daz

LE
Here’s another paint review, in this case it’s the current go to set for the Lufftwaffe, its the Vallejo Model Air Set - Luftwaffe Colors 1941 to end-war # 71166

download (1).jpg

This set ,as with all the other sets in the range, comes in Vallejo standard box with a top opening flap and loose bottles inside, and the paint range covers the various colours used as camouflage patterns pertaining to Lufwaffe fighters (single-engine, heavy and night fighters) post the 1941 switch over – Vallejo do offer a pre 1941 set as well.​

Inside the box, there’s the standard colour chart applicable to this set with suggested schemes along with 8 bottles of the follow paints:

011 Dark Green RLM83

022 Light Green RLM82

055 Black Gray RLM66

103 Gray Blue RLM84

257 Light Blue RLM76

258 Gray Green RLM74

259 Gray Violet RLM75

264 Brown Violet RLM81

It does lack some colours that do come in handy, RLM02 is the obvious one, along with RLM 04 (Yellow) & RLM 23 (Red) , whites and blacks are something that most people have to hand, so those colours not being in the set is not to much of an issue.

Spaying is fine, no real issues there, ditto for brush painting - handy set to buy if you are just getting back into modelling Luftwaffe aircraft :)

IMG_20180325_194055.jpg

daz

LE
@Stumpy4154, Vallejo Model Air 71.055 Black Grey RLM66 - is the one you need

I used to build the old Kiel kraft balsa aircraft kits, and one day I was was bored wandering around toys are us.
So I splashed out on an airfix Gloucester meteor kit that came with paints.
The paints turned out to be water based and completely useless and unlike what I was used to.
Can you still get the old enamel paints, or has that ship sailed?

daz

LE
I used to build the old Kiel kraft balsa aircraft kits, and one day I was was bored wandering around toys are us.
So I splashed out on an airfix Gloucester meteor kit that came with paints.
The paints turned out to be water based and completely useless and unlike what I was used to.
Can you still get the old enamel paints, or has that ship sailed?
The paints that come with the Airfix sets are not the best in the world , they do need a lot of mixing and thinning to get the best out of them - however, part of the problem you might find is "unlearning" how you used to apply the old enamel paints, and learn to apply modern acrylic paints instead.... it does take some getting used to.

Hobbycraft still sell the old enamel paints BTW

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
@Stumpy4154, Vallejo Model Air 71.055 Black Grey RLM66 - is the one you need
Cheers, mate, a trip to Hobbycraft is on the cards next week so I'll have a look for a bottle. Failing that I'll see about getting one the above sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads