Valkyrie - New Tom Cruise film

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by the_boy_syrup, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

From todays Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=479979&in_page_id=1811

Dressed in German uniforms and sombre suits, Tom Cruise's character and his co-conspirators look over their plan to kill Adolf Hitler - and end the Second World War.

Cruise's fellow plotters are played by Kevin McNally, Christian Berkel, Bill Nighy, Terence Stamp, David Schofield and Kenneth Branagh.

The rebels from left: Kevin McNally, Christian Berkel, Bill Nighy, Tom Cruise, Terence Stamp, David Schofield and Kenneth Brannagh, who will appear in the film Valkyrie

They form the core of the Nazi resistance in the film Valkyrie, which Cruise has promised will be faithful to history.

It depicts the ill-fated plan to blow up the dictator on July 20, 1944. But he survived, and the plotters paid with their lives.

1. Carl Goerdeler
    KEVIN McNally, 51, plays Carl Goerdeler, the former mayor of Leipzig. He was the son of a Prussian district judge, and after studying law became a local civil servant.

He also became price commissioner in the government of Heinrich Brüning and remained in office when Adolf Hitler came to power in 1933.

Goerdeler resigned in 1934 after disagreement with Hitler over his policies and was a central figure in the civilian resistance to Hitler.

But when the July 20 bomb attempt backfiredhe was betrayed and arrested. He was beheaded in Ploetzensee jail in Berlin in 1945.

2. Albrecht Riter Merz von Quirnheim
    ONE of the few Germans in the cast, Christian Berkel, 49, plays von Quirnheim, once a committed Nazi officer who became disillusioned with Hitler's conduct of the war in 1943.

Drawn into the conspiracy, he was shot in July 1944, when Hitler survived the bomb which went off in his headquarters in East Prussia.

3. General Friedrich Olbricht
    BILL Nighy, 57, plays the general who was one of the main architects of the operation.

He mistrusted Hitler from the earliest days but served with distinction in the campaign against Poland in 1939 and against France the following year.

The general was shot in the Bendlerblock in Berlin, the headquarters of the army high command, where the conspirators had hoped to stage a coup.

4. Count Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg
    TOM Cruise, 45, plays the leading role of the nobleman who planted a briefcase containing two pounds of explosives in Hitler's conference room at his headquarters.

But the briefcase was moved behind a table leg before it exploded, protecting Hitler from the brunt of the blast which killed four others in the room.

The American's character turned against the war after learning about the Nazi's extermination of so many Jews.

Stauffenberg was a driving force in the conspiracy. He too met his end in the Bendlerblock before a firing squad, shouting, "Long live Germany!"

5. General Ludwig Beck
    TERENCE Stamp, 68, plays the General, one of the only officers to stand up to Hitler in the early days of his regime.

As head of the general staff, the British actor's character-knew a war against the West was unwinnable and quit in August 1938.

The General joined the resistance later in the war and was arrested after Valkyrie failed.

He was allowed to commit suicide with his own pistol but managed to blind himself instead. He was killed by a Nazi stormtrooper.

6. Field Marshal Erwin von Witzleben
    DAVID Schofield, 56, who featured in the Pirates of the Caribbean films, plays the Field Marshal, who was one of the conquerors of France in the Blitzkrieg of 1940.

Like Stauffenberg, the British actor's character came to realise Hitler was leading Germany to disaster and joined the conspiracy against him in 1942.

Arrested on August 8, 1944, he was strangled in the Ploetzensee prison in Berlin. Thousands of co-conspirators met the same fate, their deaths filmed for Hitler to watch in the cinema at his Berchtesgaden mountain retreat.

7. Henning von Tresckow
    KENNETH Branagh, 46, plays Stauffenberg's closest accomplice in the plot.

Although he was initially a Nazi sympathiser, the Shakespearean-actor's character became disenchanted with Hitler's war plans.

He planned several assassination plots, but all failed. When he heard that the Valkyrie plot had failed, he killed himself with a hand grenade on the eastern front.

He left behind several papers, one of which said: "Hitler is a dancing dervish. One must shoot him."

My bold

How bad a shot is he ?
    Allowed to shoot himself wirth a pistol and only ends up blind
    Christ almighty even I could have done better :D

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

"Cruise promises it will be faithful to history"

[Stauffenburg] "turned against the war after learning about the Nazi's extermination of so many Jews"

Incompatible. He turned against the war because it was obvious that Hitler was losing it. No noble "save the jews" motive there. Bloody revisionists

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I did think about the faithfull to history bit
    Cruise 5'4 Von Stauffenburg 6'2
    Got that wrong to start with

Imagine thinking one day I will be portrayed on film by a religious fruit loop midget
    He'll be turning in his unmarked mass grave

4. The fact that it states lil' Tom is 45 makes me wonder where on earth the last 10 years have gone to - when I thought he was a mere babyfaced young thing!! Shocking!

5. Bouillabaisse

Yes, and portrayed as a goody goody Jew lover. It'll curdle his Aryan blood.

6. Wrong, Stauffenberg was a sympathiser to the resistance since 1939 and an active member since 1942.

He wouldn't become an active member in 1939 because he had sworn an oath to the leader of his country (bit like the oath of allegiance?) and it would be wrong to break it.

It was only after the death and destruction of Barbarossa that he decided to join.

This film has got the Germans a bit upset, they think that Hollywood and especially the scientologist Cruise will "adapt" the truth.

7. I don't hold out much hope for this Cruise film, but you're wrong in your assertion about Stauffenberg, whose anti-Nazism pre-dated the outbreak of the Second World War.

8. Bouillabaisse

Alright. Neck wound in on Stauffenburg. I take it my cynicism can be applied to the others in the plot? I'm just a little uncomfortable with giving much credence to the German "resistance."

9. Sorry to be a bit bone here, but don't the Scientologist's believe that WW2 concentration camps were fake or was it that psychology was created by Germans during WW2?

interesting article link here http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/jews-die-scn.htm

10. This is a copy of a response to this same topic I made on another forum.

QUOTE:
    Just saw a photo of Tom Cruise dressed as Von Stauffenberg on today's episode of 'Inside Edition'. It's just what you would expect, no real surprises. They did side by side profile shots of Von Stauffenberg and Cruise together, with the hostess gushing at their remarkable likeness.

They also showed previous movie depictions of Von Stauffenberg which included Brad Davis in 'The Plot to Kill Hitler' (1990) and an unnamed British actor in 'The Desert Fox' (1951). Interestingly both Cruise and Davis play the Colonel with the patch over their left eye while the actor in 'The Desert Fox' had the patch over his right. I didn't notice which actor had which arm missing.

This film, 'Valkyrie', also stars Kenneth Branagh although I don't know which character he will be playing. Branagh played Reinhard Heydrich in the movie 'Conspiracy' (2001) which was about the 1942 Wannsee Conference. Cruise should have swallowed his pride and cast Branagh as Von Stauffenberg. That would have been a great casting choice.
    UNQUOTE.

I tried to add photos of Cruise and Branagh. I hope it works.

Dan.

Attached Files:

11. Stunning likeness :roll:

I remember watching a docudrama about the plot on either the beeb or one of the history channels a few years back. Certainly better than the Brad Davis film or what I expect this offering from wee Tommy C will turn out to be.

Attached Files:

12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Do a search on the White Rose organisation and Sophie Scholl for some of the real German resistance, they died for it.