Valentines Day Meal

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by schweik, Feb 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So in a moment of utter stupidity I told Mrs Schweik that I'd cook for her on Valentine's Day. Trouble is the rugby kicks off at 5.30, and I'm not missing it for anything.

Any ideas for a nice meal that I could knock up that would be deemed suitably romantic by the Mrs, but involves both maximum pre-preparation, and minimum post match effort?

2. M&S are doing a 3 course + Cava for £20, bet it's all pre-prep'd...

3. Dial-a-pizza is for winners. OR, you bin the good lady for someone that appreciates a good rugby match, and realises it's priority.

4. Easy answer :twisted:

Or do something that can keep, a lasagne and salad - warm it during the second half and serve - Mrs happy and rugby watched.

5. We will be at the pub squaffing pints of fresh lager watching the match, and therefore have agreed beforehand to try and burn some enormous steaks upon our return as is just within expected capabilities.

He is Welsh, I am English, and the loser cooks.... so probably me then.

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Sandwiches and tea @ 4:30pm. Dinner at 8 for 8:30 pm. Sorted. Gives time for the port to breath also.

7. Mrs Volts and I are having the M&S 3 courses.

Coquille St. Jacques - Scallops in a white wine sauce, potato & Parmesan

Rump steak in a peppercorn sauce
    Ceasar vegetables with butter & parmigiano reggiano shavings

Belgian chocolate souffles

A bottle of Cava

Bloody good value for £20 :)

8. I think M&S is the answer. Thanks all.

And I hope you all enjoy the rugby.

9. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

10. A friend is in for a treat tomorrow. :D
    Her husband is going to collect some new wheels for his car. :roll:
    He suggested it would be nice for her and the kids (aged 3 years and 6 months) to go with him. :wink:
    He thought they might go for a Valentine's meal on the way back. :roll:

Her response:
    "Wonderful!
    You can go in and find a nice table .....
    ..... while I get the kids out of the car and bring them in.
    You can look at the menu and order .....
    ..... while I get the kids organised.
    You can eat a lovely hot meal .....
    ... while I feed the kids their's.
    I can rush my (now) cold meal, serenaded by you and the kids getting restless.
    You can exchange pleasantries with the waitress and pay the bill .....
    ..... while I struggle to get the kids back in their carseats."

11. Children, why oh why would you have them. :roll:

12. Ungrateful bitch deserves a slap

13. Waitrose are doing a three course meal for £10 but without wine.

14. We shall be in the boozer watching the rugby. The doris will be getting chicken-inna-basket and a pint, while I dust off my horned helmet and quaffing jug.... lucky tart

15. Here's something that can be knocked up in advance and heated up in a couple of minutes.

Sweet, hot and sour king prawn curry and pilaf rice for two:

Curry:

2 large onions finely chopped or grated.
    3-4 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped.
    3-5 green chillies, finely chopped.
    1.5 tsp cumin powder
    3/4 tsp coriander powder
    1/2 tsp turmeric.
    3/4 tsp of chilli powder.
    1 tsp garam masala.
    4 medium sized tomatoes, chopped.
    1 tsp tamarind paste diluted in 150ml of warm water.
    1 tsp brown sugar or jaggary.
    Handful of coriander leaves.
    10 curry leaves.
    King Prawns (the uncooked, grey ones).

Cook onions in 2 or 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil until deep pink. You don't want them going crispy on the edges. You want a nice them nicely caramelised. It can help to steam them first by having the pan on a medium heat with the lid on. After 2 - 3 minutes remove the lid and increase the heat and stir constantly for 3-4 minutes. Then, turn the heat down to low and cook gently for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.

To the garlic add the green chilli and 1 tsp of cumin powder to make a paste. Once the onions are done, turn the heat up to medium and add the garlic paste. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.

Add the rest of the cumin, the chilli powder, the coriander, the turmeric and the garam masala to the pan and stir constantly for 1-2 minutes (adding a few drops of water to prevent sticking, if necessary).

Add the chopped tomatoes and bash them a bit to help break them down. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times.

Add the tamarind water, the coriander leaves and the curry leaves and the brown sugar and 1 tsp of salt. Add 250ml of water and let simmer for 5-10 minutes but no longer. You want a think shiny sauce.

This sauce can be made beforehand and stored. When the time comes to adding the prawns, heat the sauce gently up with a lid on. When piping hot, add the prawns and cook for 2 minutes on the heat, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat off and put the lid on. The prawns will finish cooking in their own heat. Serve soonish.

Rice:
    200g basmati rice.
    225ml boiling water.
    1/2 finely chopped onion.
    4 green cardamoms.
    1 bay leaf.
    4 cloves.
    pinch of saffron.
    pinch of salt.
    knob of unsalted butter.

Wash the rice in 5 or 6 changes of cold water in a bowl, getting most of the starch off. Soak rice in cold water for 45 mins. Then drain using a sieve.

In a moderately preheated saucepan, add the butter, and fry the onions on a high heat, stirring constantly. When onions are browned, add the cardamoms, the bay leaf. the cloves, and saffron. Stir fry for a minute.

Add the rice, water and salt.

Seal pan with foil and put lid back on. On the lowest heat cook for 10 minutes. Then, turn the heat off and allow the rice to sit in the pan for a further 10 minutes. Remove the foil, et voila, perfect rice. Gently fork the rice out of the pan into a dish and store covered with foil.

Re-heat the rice by frying in some unsalted butter in a frying pan, on a medium heat, not stirring too much.