Valentine IX dug up

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ViolatorOfVirgins, Oct 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. from Warta river
    Unikatowy czo

This one drowned when tried to cross the river- probably over the ice. It was used by Red ARmy.
    If requested, i'll provide more translation

ps. how many tanks like that did RA get?
  2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Looks in good nick.

Backwards C, ZZ, lots of Ws, upside down R etc.
  3. Nice little find for somebody. Hopefully will find a home at the relevant museum.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. z12741797Q,Unikatowy-czolg-wydobyty-zostal-ze-starorzecza-Warty.jpg
    Didn't take long for the Polish car wash guys to arrive and set up.
    • Like Like x 8
  5. I was thinking this would be about a dead Pope
    • Like Like x 8
  6. 1000s.

Britain sent several thousand.
    I'm sure Canada manufactured approx 8000 almost all went to USSR
  7. Whoever wrote the October 12 update to the wiki entry needs to go back and amend the model number from X to IX.
  8. Think of the journey that tank had. Russian convoys, dodging U-boats, massed bombing raids, mines, surface raiders and the weather. Only for some Ruskie squaddie to go and drive it into a lake!
  9. The Red Army apparently really liked the Valentine. They received just under 4,000 of them, about half of all manufactured. I listened to a presentation last year by a war studies MA on his thesis on the Red Army and lease lend tanks. Apparently the Red Army was the main reason why Valentine production was continued until April 1944

I think it was the most popular because it was small, fairly well armoured and reliable with a diesel engine and a small crew. It was a vehicle that the Russians could trust, unlike any other British Cruiser tank. The 57mm gun was OK at short ranges. The small crew was probably a good point given the soveits manpower problems late war.
  10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I thought this gave the Russian a dilema as although they needed the equipment they refused to say thanks for it or even acknowledge it had come from abroad to their troops despite the obviously foreign nature of the material.
  11. Found this if anybody is interested

• Like Like x 1
  12. Some interesting tales from this site

RAF Hurricanes in Russia

Intantry Tank Mk.III Valentine II

Out of interest, were Foreign awards worn postwar when politics went frosty.
  13. There is an excellent book on the experience of using lease lend Kit, called "Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks: The World War II Memoirs of Hero of the Soviet Union Dmitriy Loza" When they took over a new tank they unpacked the grease from the barrel very carefully. Often there would be a bottle of Scotch with fraternal greetings from the US factory workers. His memoirs are a long peon of praise for the "Emcha". Some of these stories are a little improbably, but his claims that he could take a Sherman over ground that German tanks could not follow is borne out by the report of inspector of Panzer Troops in Italy.

The Russians also must have valued the Sherman as Loza's Battalion was used as the main part of the Advanced Attachment sent to seize the centre of Vienna in 1945. His M4 battalion was reinforced with a company of "tank paratroopers" and a battery of SU152 SP guns. The Red Army only formed mixed arm battlegroups for special purposes and would have selected his unit specifically. If you asked a typical WW2 buff what Red Army troops they would pick for a special mission, my guess is that Sherman's would be well down in their choice of tanks for a 1945 battle! Loza says that his unit was picked because the Shermans were very quiet and the ideal vehicle to infiltrate into Vienna from the West.
  14. ........Very interesting.

Amazing condition considering how long it had been in the lake!

Even the registration plate is in excellent nick!
  15. it was in the river. Called Warta. near the town, also called Warta. ("var-ta")
    and yes, it is in excellent condition. Winter of 1944/45 (because I assume it sank during the last big offensive to the Reich) was one of the coldest winters in the century- so passing frozen rivers wouldn't be a problem (usually- in this case clearly it was)