• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Vacuum packing

Alsacien

MIA
Looking for tips.

I do my butchery in a celler/utility room in my place up in the mountains. It has always been cool and constant temp wise, but last year the weather was playing merry hell and the temp often went over 10-12c.
I often am not there for 5-10 days, if I have a small carcass I usually quarter it and take with to butcher/prepare in the week, and leave a big pig or deer hanging in situ. This only works when the temp is constant of course, and the weather is too inconsistent at the moment.
I'm thinking to invest in a serious vacuum packer, butcher within 24 hours then age the packed meat in refridgerators. This means I can also transport it if needed.
So:
I need a packer man enough for the job - how big? Anything to look for or avoid?
How well does aging vacuum packed meat work, how long at 5-7c?
Marinating? Good idea?

Ye gods man, my beef hangs in the shed for up to twenty eight days at that temperature with no problems. I have to say that folks seem to be terrified of eating bad meat. Just shows how the hygiene Nazis have infiltrated the mindset. Even if it is green and rotten, as long as you cook it well it will not kill you.

Alsacien

MIA
Ye gods man, my beef hangs in the shed for up to twenty eight days at that temperature with no problems. I have to say that folks seem to be terrified of eating bad meat. Just shows how the hygiene Nazis have infiltrated the mindset. Even if it is green and rotten, as long as you cook it well it will not kill you.
Which I do.
However I need to flog a lot of it - and green fur is not popular with city folk....

Thats what curry is for!

You're going to have to bite the bullet and buy a chamber vacuum packer - the ones that use ridged bags are shite and at least a third of the bags don't seal properly.

Look for a bankrupt restaurant or butcher to buy one from, otherwise you'll get no change out of two grand if you buy new.

Alsacien

MIA
You're going to have to bite the bullet and buy a chamber vacuum packer - the ones that use ridged bags are shite and at least a third of the bags don't seal properly.

Look for a bankrupt restaurant or butcher to buy one from, otherwise you'll get no change out of two grand if you buy new.
Cheers, I'll hit the net.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

Latest Threads