Vacuum packing

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, Aug 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Looking for tips.

I do my butchery in a celler/utility room in my place up in the mountains. It has always been cool and constant temp wise, but last year the weather was playing merry hell and the temp often went over 10-12c.
    I often am not there for 5-10 days, if I have a small carcass I usually quarter it and take with to butcher/prepare in the week, and leave a big pig or deer hanging in situ. This only works when the temp is constant of course, and the weather is too inconsistent at the moment.
    I'm thinking to invest in a serious vacuum packer, butcher within 24 hours then age the packed meat in refridgerators. This means I can also transport it if needed.
    I need a packer man enough for the job - how big? Anything to look for or avoid?
    How well does aging vacuum packed meat work, how long at 5-7c?
    Marinating? Good idea?
  2. You could perhaps also post the query in the cookery forum?
  3. Ye gods man, my beef hangs in the shed for up to twenty eight days at that temperature with no problems. I have to say that folks seem to be terrified of eating bad meat. Just shows how the hygiene Nazis have infiltrated the mindset. Even if it is green and rotten, as long as you cook it well it will not kill you.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Which I do.
    However I need to flog a lot of it - and green fur is not popular with city folk....
  5. Fair point. Much like the supermarkets with their pasty pink meat, supposedly just the way the housewife likes it!
  6. Thats what curry is for!
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ffnar ffnar
  8. You're going to have to bite the bullet and buy a chamber vacuum packer - the ones that use ridged bags are shite and at least a third of the bags don't seal properly.

Look for a bankrupt restaurant or butcher to buy one from, otherwise you'll get no change out of two grand if you buy new.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Cheers, I'll hit the net.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator