Vaccinations. Whose responsibility? MoD/NHS/Individual.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by EX_STAB, Oct 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I've asked this in this thread:

    but I think it needs raising as a subject of its own.

    For my Phase1 I have been "Advised" by my joining instructions to be immunised against meningitis and requested to provide written evidence that I have had this or to get an up to date one done. In my case the vaccinations are time expired.

    My GP has written to me advising that the NHS is not responsible for vaccinations when they are required for "Occupational Health" reasons which they deem this to be - it is after all my employer that is requiring it.

    Neither will they carry out the vaccination if I pay for it.

    The Coy office says it is up to my GP , that I should change doctors and that I can't go on the course without it (Next Friday :roll: ). The unit MO is being consulted at some point.

    So, when the Army (my employer) requires me to receive medical attention of some form that I wouldn't otherwise require i.e. for "Occupational" reasons, whose responsibility is it to sort it out and pay for it?
  2. The TA is not funded for any (primary healthcare) medical treatment, in theory if you get injured on exercise you should be sent to a NHS GP (but obviously the penny pinchers don't win all the time)
  3. Look on the world helath org site and find a country where you need to have a meningitis jab, if you were going there on holiday. Book an appointment with doc, say you're off to Timbuctoo on holiday and require the following jabs. Job jobbed.
  4. Sixty

    Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

    Do what I did. Pay for it yourself (£20.00 at the time, not sure now) and claim it back. Your GP or Practice Nurse will do it on a private basis, even if they're NHS.

    Edit: Sorry, didn't read your post properly. I see that your doctor won't do it if you pay which surprises me.
  5. JUst checked back with my GP's administrator (who I know personally) and she has confirmed that it's the same case for emergency services, hospital workers, first responders etc and anyone else. A residential course (TSC (A) in this case) is still classed as "Occupational Reasons)

    They have no stock to do it privately either.

    Am enquiring with a private outfit near here. Can I claim it back?
  6. I think they'd see through that now they've written to me about it but it might work for others. Ta.
  7. Sorry, just missed that. Was there any bother in claiming for it?
  8. Sixty

    Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

    None at all. I was advised to do it that way by my unit.
  9. Thanks. Will look into that. :D
  10. On a slight tangent – if you’re on a course, you’re generally medically covered by the Army. I’ve done a Summer Challenge with an RTC and took two recruits to Frimley Park Hospital and treatment in both cases was covered.

    On a personal note, I smashed two back teeth during a fall on my detties course and the DO took great pleasure in removing offending teeth courtesy of HM the Queen. Even provided a weeks worth of antibiotics so I could redeploy back in to the field!
  11. Yes you were treated but strictly speaking they shouldn't have done so. APHCS is funded for the regular army only, this includes a wide variety of things.

    An obvious example is at Chilwell, regular camp staff goto the med centre and reservists attend the other one. The reservists one is funded by operations not APHCS (so one is using a new computer system and the other one 70/80's IT and/or paper).
  12. OldSnowy

    OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

    If you are in London, go to the Baird Med Centre in St Thomas' and get it done there free (bring ID).

    Otherwise, call your local helpful TA Med Unit - and they'll probably help.

    Failing that, go to a Medicare walk-in centre, pay, and claim back.

    I've used all 3 methods over the past few years, so can vouch for them all.

    Oh, and finally - change your GP to a Human being.........
  13. One point to note is that you need to have the men c jab seven days before you attend any training (at least that was the case for me last year). Odd that your GP won't help, mine bent over backwards to get me sorted out in time for my recruits course.
    Annoyingly when i got there one of the first things they got us to do was sign a form saying that if we hadn't had all the various jabs we wouldn't sue the Army if we caught anything.
  14. Oh and i was also told that Chilwell will do them for you (this was by the nurse in the med centre there)