Vacancies at 4 Div RTC Malta Barracks

bibo_boy said:
oliverreed said:
Already there and yes its pretty good.
As you say lots of chances to lead and train large groups of troops.
Shame about the food and accommodation.................................. yes I know, nowt can be done about it.
Agree about accomodation.... :(

But the food was good and plently of it when I was doing Pre-para there many years ago :)
Forget what I said about the food!!!!! :roll:

Priority bids for courses, under the eye of the OC so maningfull CRs...

fatmini

War Hero
bibo_boy said:
bibo_boy said:
oliverreed said:
Already there and yes its pretty good.
As you say lots of chances to lead and train large groups of troops.
Shame about the food and accommodation.................................. yes I know, nowt can be done about it.
Agree about accomodation.... :(

But the food was good and plently of it when I was doing Pre-para there many years ago :)
Forget what I said about the food!!!!! :roll:
are they still eating off paper plates ?

No, except when we have picnics.

Dry_Clean_Only

War Hero
One my Cpls has been supporting training at RTC Malta Barracks and apart from him getting priority on mil courses e.g. MQUAL and SAA, the coaching and instructional practice is resulting in growth in confidence and leadership in his innate abilities and this has made him shine amongst his peers.

So yes, supporting the RTC's will certainly help you get promoted, however that does depend on the RTC talking to your unit's chain of command and vice versa.

tiggrsown

Clanker
Dry clean only has I think summed it up, promotion is definitley not automatic its subject to all the standard stuff
1) promotions board
2) glasgow
3) service/arm requirements
4) sjars
5) suitably ranked vacant PIDs
etc
However what can be promised at Malta Barracks is
a) Support, priority bookings & MTDs to do all the required career courses
b) Gaining useful instructor skills that will make you extremely useful when you return to your unit
c) Incredible practice in commanding/leading/instructing large numbers of troops
d) Getting the satisfaction of being a key part in the preparation of soldiers who will deploy - nits a buzz seeing how individuals develop over the 6/9 weekends

Poochie

Swinger
tiggrsown
A couple of questions - How long is a tour at the RTC? and are the vacancies limited to people in 4 Div AOR only?

tiggrsown

Clanker
Poochie & Right of Arc
Good questions:

1) Initial tour of duty is 2 to 3 years with a possibility of extention
2) Vacancies open to all TA irrespective of Division, obviously geography will play a key part ie needs to be capable of getting to Aldershot.
3) Staff posted to RTC's are exempt the requirement to attend a 15 day camp for bounty purposes - so its basically a minimum of 50 days pa either through weekends or attendance at Career/Promotion courses or Instructing on one of the Recruit camps or any combination of all of them
Hope this helps

Give it a taste as a visiting intsructor. If you have MATTS quals you'll be welcomed with open arms, particularly if you are RMP as they dont seem to send DS ( even the MI do now, Gawd bless 'em. :D )

tiggrsown

Clanker
Totally agree with BB, if any of you out there want to really use your instructor qualifications and get experience in commanding very large numbers of soldiers why don't you give it a go as a visiting instructor?

Boxy

GCM
50 days......bunch of part timers, FFS ours is 80 , maxed out at 90 am currently on 95!

As I keep saying RTCs are a good place to achieve job satisfaction, there is an end product and you see the wee ones developing confidence as they progress.

tiggrsown

Clanker
FFB, 50 days is the minimum requirement but you can certainly do loads more up to the 117 cut off, you really don't want to see mine!
And I totally agree with you - the RTC's are a great place to get great satisfaction

Boxy

GCM
lol, yeah I know what you mean it's only too easy to rack them up, esp the higher up the food chain you are, although our fullscrews are about the same as me right now.

This WC 09 is a nightmare,12 w/es in a row, there's 30 days straight away, one guy has been in for all of them, no time off since Jan 5th!

But if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it so................

ExRanker

Swinger
I hear that 4 Div RTC have given places to Units who support them on a SAA course, this must be a massive bonus as it difficult to on this course

tiggrsown

Clanker
Ex ranker
Aswell as trying to recruit against our own establishment we are always keen on good visiting unit instructors which we will always try and nuture etc and yes you are right we are always prepared to use some of our priority places on courses like SAA Instructor for keen and willing instructors - its really part of the reward/payback for helping us out

I've worked down at the RTC as a guest instructor for the last 8 months.
I can honestly say it's worth giving it a try, and the professional benefits make it worth it.
It is really rewarding when one of your cadres "passes off the square" and it's an opportunity for qualified and motivated DS to set the example that the soldiers under training will take forward with them into their TA career.

It's a good establishment to get involved with. I recommend you come down and see what it's all about.

By the way, there's a new CMSR coming into effect as of the 1st weekend of April. Your recruits will be out in the field on the 1st weekend, so make sure they've got their full kit issue.

FFBox said:
50 days......bunch of part timers, FFS ours is 80 ,
That because you need the time, given that you are cr@p instructors with thick as mince recruits.*

* its not really, I'm just feeling cheeky.

Latest Threads