V Max Bullets

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Marc_St_Hilaire, Aug 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick one. Does anyone know if V Max bullets, the ones with the plastic tip, are considered 'expanding' as far as your FAC is concerned?

2. Yes, as are Nosler ballistic tips (same design).
  3. Thanks Scratch. Not what I wanted to hear but thanks anyway.
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Any ammo that has a polymer tip does so to aid the expansion of the 'jacket' on impact. The soft polymer tip is forced back into the jacket, against the bullet core, thus forcing the jacket outwards or expanding it.

Here's some reference material:

Polymer (Ballistic) Tip
    Ful Metal Jacket
    Hollow Point
  5. Thanks Biped.
    Very interesting. Looks like I'll have to use solids, with my target only FAC.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

With a target-only FAC you'll find that you are not allowed to purchase expanding ammo as it is deemed suitable only for hunting. Also, most clubs and ranges will take a very dim view of you if you start lobbing expanding ammo down the range, not that it makes any difference to the butts.
  7. Not quite true - the Hornady A-Max has a polymer tip, but is designed as a target bullet. I gather that some people still use them for hunting though!
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well bugger me with a pineapple! Wasn't aware of that one. I presume that the use of polymer-tipped bullets for target shooting has come about through their initial success as an accurate hunting round, and then developed with target-use flight stability in mind.

The thing is, on reading about the A-Max, it does mushroom out and disintegrate a little like the standard hunting polymer-tipped bullets, though there's some question marks over its ability to penetrate past solid bone. Some hunters say it's fantastic, whilst others say it runs a danger of causing terrible wounds to an animal that might still get away. I would suggest that if you smack a deer with 168gn .308 A-Max, even with the jacket shearing off, and even if it does hit bone, the thing is going town in short order.

Is the ammo as good as people are saying for target use?
  9. Wanna see the holes a 17g Remmington ,17HMR makes in 2mm plate at 50 yards?
    In fact I may drop in Monday pm so I'll bring one with me- oh and coffee/white/1 sugar please
  10. A-Max are completely legal for target shooting, as is the impressive Lapua Scenar bullets (with a hollow tip). Results on animals is inconsistent, either pushing right through with little disruption or blowing all to shit.
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yes, do bring your metal plate with you. I shot at a 2p coin a little while ago and it punched a very neat and tidy .17 shaped hole straight through the middle without distorting the coin. I've been using the Federal V-Shock in preference to the Hornady in my CZ because it seems to group better. I also stuck an N550 Digiscope on it. This means I'm walking up to within 20 yards of rabbits in the pitch black before turning them inside out with that little explosive 'lovely'. :headbang:

All my rabbits come pre-paunched.
  12. Been using 52 grain Amax in 5.56 to remove problem seagulls lately. Killed over a hundred last week, every one exploded when hit. At up to 250m the Amax performs exactly like the Vmax (in 5.56 anyway).
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

General licence or non-protected species? It's a £5,000 fine if I knock out (or explode) the local seagulls. I've been trying to raise a collection locally because I think it's a fine per session rather than per bird. Give me £5,000 and a day, I reckon I can get them for £1 a bird.
  14. All killed under the schedule ( 1, 2 and 3) covering an airport. Hence not only herring gulls black backed gulls but also black headed gulls (and some other species best not mentioned in open forum but covered by the licence).
  15. Fair enough I'll take your word for it, but to quote the Hornady website
    Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
    Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
    These bullets are not recommended for hunting medium and large game.

Sounds like an expanding projectile to me.