V-Eng - has anyone in REME been offered it yet

I got till oct 2009, anyone know how much I am going to lose?
I will probably get out as SSgt.

My rought estimate is around £2100 from my total commuted?

I'm sure this only affects people who joined after April 2006. I have 4 and a half years left and am unsure how this affects myself. One thing I do know is that it was not written on the OTT when I signed to stay on AFPS 75. If they change it without a persons knowledge surely this is a case for the courts. Much like the soon to be contested BFG lighting check for March 2008.

The_IRON said:
EX_REME said:
pot_aussie said:
headgear said:
I got the feeling that they'd rather sacrifice the old guys to keep the younger ones in.
WHAT'S NEW??

1. Paycut 2000
2. Pension AFP 05
3. Cutting the level of Commutation for those left on AFP 75
4. Upgrading JNCO and Junior Officer's accommodation. SNCO's Messes left in a shi*e state.
5. Huge pay hikes for JNCO's (Not that they don't deserve it, just that we all do!)
When did/is this about to happen?
Ive heard this aswell.
Ive read about it in another thread but havent seen the DIN yet, i believe its in the Small print but will only affect those who are just joining when pensions due. I hope so as i think my missus has got most of mine targetted for in the next few years when its due. :roll:
Another look after your troops idea gone pear shaped. :x

TRY HERE.

Had a briefing about this on friday last. depending on when you are due out, you will go to a selection board automatically (no need to apply) and will either be selected or rejected! You will be informed of the result (either way) by letter from MRO.
eg: if you are due to finish in Dec 09, you will go to the board in Nov this year!!
Leaving dates are from between the april and march- no suprise there!
that is all i know at the moment. DEME (A) has an officer concentrating on just this topic. call for clarification.
Apparently, all those who go to the board will be successful due to the rate ofsoldiers leaving.
The only qualifying criteria is that you must be class 1!

REME VERSATILE ENGAGEMENT IMPLEMENTATION PLAN

A. APRC/P(06)29 Versatile Engagement Implementation Plan (APRC Version) dated 2 Jul 07.
B. 2007DIN01-038 The Implementation Plan for the Introduction of the Versatile Engagement (VEng) for Army Other Ranks.
C. D/DMCM/12/1/04(MS(C)) Transfer of Serving Soldiers to the Versatile Engagement – APC Coordinating Instruction dated 5 Sep 07.

1. The Versatile Engagement (VEng) will be introduced for Army Other Ranks on 1 Jan 08 as endorsed at Reference A and subsequently articulated in Reference B. All soldiers enlisting on or after 1 Jan 08 will be engaged on a Short Career, up to 12 years, under VEng Terms of Service, and subject to meeting certain criteria will be able to convert to Full, up to 24 years, and Long Careers, up to 30 and then in 6 year blocks as required. Soldiers currently serving on Open or Notice Engagements will be offered the opportunity to transfer to VEng Full Career or be considered for an Offer to Transfer (OTT), dependant upon their career stage and the manning need.
2. The REME Versatile Engagement Implementation Plan received out-of-committee endorsement by the REME Command Group on 30 Aug 07, and following a few embellishments is attached at Enclosure 1. The Plan explains the steady state progression of soldiers on VEng, and the transitional arrangements for REME soldiers currently serving on other engagements, which will be implemented over a period of 5 years to avoid a 2 year stagnation of promotion by large scale extension of service from 22 to 24 years.
3. For those soldiers whose Run Out Date (RoD) is on or soon after 1 Oct 08, time is very limited to board candidates for transfer to VEng and determine those who will be offered conversion against the manning need, however where possible a minimum of 12 months notice prior to RoD will be given to soldiers being offered transfer. The Manning Need for each CEG is currently being modelled and will be advised in Oct 07. Offers to Transfer will be distributed in accordance with Reference C to those meeting the conversion criteria and in accordance with manning need.
4. This Implementation Plan is to receive a wide and rapid distribution across the Corps, and I would therefore be grateful if you could distribute to those under your command as soon as possible.

Read into that what you will. Next years leavers go to a board this month!!!

Viking_of_the_sky said:
REME VERSATILE ENGAGEMENT IMPLEMENTATION PLAN

4. This Implementation Plan is to receive a wide and rapid distribution across the Corps, and I would therefore be grateful if you could distribute to those under your command as soon as possible.
Well someone here hasnt read para 4 obviously!!!

Am I glad I got out 4 years ago and am happily employed with a better salary that I was on, company car, five weeks holiday a year, free BUPA health care and (another) final salary pension.

Oh yes, home every night, no out of hours or weekend work unless they pay me a wedge.

Did I mention my pension as well. :D

been told that if your run out date is after 1st oct 08 then you will not be considered for V eng from a man in glasgow.

The problem I would see with extending service for "non-deployable " tradesmen is that there could be a situation where no "deployable" tradsmen were available. Manning must look at a worst case scenario in which case all tradesmen would need to be available for deployment (and we're not far off there already) . While it would be great in an ideal world to retain all that experience it would be of little use if it could not be used where it is most needed.

Twist to Open,

Having seen the paper and attended a brief methinks you've got the facts 100% wrong.

Anyone with a 22 year point before 1 Oct 08 definitely will not be offered VEng Full (24 year career). Those with a 22 year point on 1 Oct 08 or after may be offered it based on the manning need in their rank and trade - those who have served over 15 years from PSD as of 1 jan 08 will be boarded and only some will get it. Those with a 15 year point from PSD that occurs before 1 Jan 08 will almost certainly get VEng Full.

Please note:

To get the offer of 24 years you must be:

Class 1
have a Conduct grade of Satisfactory
have a CR grade of D or above (=C on SJAR)
PES of P7 or above

Just had a reply from my boss who has just been on the phone to MCM; WO Artisans will not be considered for VENG (or continuance while it lives) as we will hold up SSgt Artisans coming up behind. Still it's been a good run...

e-c,

The decision is made on manning need - so it may be that there are no suitable posts for certain trades/ranks to be extended. It's still early doors, so wait out. VEng also extends the time people will be spending in each rank, by about 6-9 months, so the holding up issue is not as clearly cut and dried.

Spanner this is the email I received from regarding ;

RQ,

As you are one of the lucky few Artisans to be promoted to WO2, unfortunately you cannot be considered for continuance as it would prevent the promotion of other SSgt Artisans. I spoke to REME MCM Div today to see if continuance was a possibility in the RQ stream but they have said no as they would rather fill any shortfall with more promoted Artisans. Unfortunately this also means Artisan WO2 will not be considered for extended service under the VEng scheme.

It does kinda make sense as we will just hold others up but the thought of staying on a bit longer gets more and more attractive as civvy street gets closer and closer...

I have asked for a formal response from MCM regarding this and they have assured me it is in the post! I am lucky enough, however, to be through to the final round of the Reader's Digest Draw so I'll not need to work soon... :lol:

tiff_biff said:
Am I glad I got out 4 years ago and am happily employed with a better salary that I was on, company car, five weeks holiday a year, free BUPA health care and (another) final salary pension.

Oh yes, home every night, no out of hours or weekend work unless they pay me a wedge.

Did I mention my pension as well. :D
Just a small observation; if life is so great out of the Corps, why are you on ARRSE, answering REME threads? Maybe life isn't that great after all? As I said, just an observation.

Spanner said:
e-c,

I'll get someone to look into this. If I get anything I'll PM you.
Spanner; many thanks but there is little point as this info has been passed down from my desk officer who is clear that there is no continuance for Artisan Unspec.

Still waiting for the formal response/ram though... :roll:

The DEME (A) paper came out today. Speak to your CoC as it is now available for all to read.