V.E Day....(perfect day for it of course)

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Goatman, May 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I wrote today's date (in English) and thought....hmmm.

Well done forefathers...tick,vg,splice the mainbrace there. Awfully good show.

VE Day London (1945) - YouTube

Goats
    --

• Like Like x 2
  2. Watching the live broadcast from a wet Arc de Triomphe ... just spotted an RBL MBE member ...

3. What's that then, is it on ITV and will there be a phone vote?

4. The random female heckler is getting the most votes at the moment ...

5. Tomorrow we celebrate Den Pobedy in Russia, Victory Day. The most sacred day in the Russian calender, any heckler would be lucky to be alive two seconds after starting the abuse.

6. A heartfelt and wholly inadequate "thank you" to those who fought and returned home. And a quiet moment of remembrance for those whose sacrifice means we are writing in English not German and who lie buried forever young far from home.
    The Kohima Epitaph comes to mind.

7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

On 8 May 1995 I finished my consultancy contract at the Bank of England*, office window looked across the road at St Paul's. I'd been writing the GUI front-end for Crest, the new paperless share trading system. At mid-day we hit a number of pubs in the area. It was a gloriously hot day and a good few beers were consumed.

Back to the office, packed up my stuff ready to move to (iirc) Abbey National Shareholder Systems at Bletchley to write ... their Crest paperless share trading system back-end.

I arrived in the foyer and spoke a few words to the old bloke on the door (in pink frock coat as was The Bank's way) and stepped back out into the sunlight ... to find a pair of Second World War vintage searchlights had been parked either side of the entrance. I thought it was a strange way to bid me farewell and staggered off in the general direction of Waterloo and home.

That night, Trevor McDonald introduced the News at Ten as usual.

"And finally ..." it being the 50th anniversary of VE Day, the closing credits of News at Ten scrolled over a live feed from St Pauls recreating the iconic photo of two searchlights to create a V behind the dome.
    _____
    * Technically for three months I was on the official payroll of The Bank because they'd screwed up their finances. We'd won the bid, then The Bank realised they'd forgotten about VAT on services. So we were taken on strength of The Bank for the duration to save the VAT. Easy when you know how eh?

8. So, you'd come out of the Bank of England entrance face to face with St Pauls??? I think not!

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Clearly you have no idea how many buildings in the square mile belong to the BoE, or which is used for software development. It may come as a surprise to you that the mainframes, the tape and disk drives and networking equipment are not in the room behind the tellers dishing out dosh to punters out front. It clearly never occurred to you that large computer facilities don't fit into just about any old building. Barclays do software development at Radbroke Hall in Cheshire (Been there? Check) and there isn't a bank branch in sight. And Poole. Midlands Pensions computer centre used to be in Nelson House opposite Southampton Central Station (been there? Check) but there wasn't a branch there (it's now HSBC anyway). NatWest's software development was at Goodman's Fields near Aldwych (check) but no branch. Abbey National Shareholder Systems (check). Barclaycard, Northampton (check) don't even have banks. Lloyds TSB, Newport (check). Do you see a pattern forming. Do you have the first clue what you were talking about? Do you think the RAPC Computer Centre (check) was at the back of your Unit Pay Office? Really? Really really?

Since you ask. Come out of St Paul's tube station, turn right down New Change, BoE occupy the east side of the street, St Paul's Churchyard and the Festival Gardens the other. Entrance to the building was halfway down the crescent. To be fair to you, I took Zero Alpha down for a mooch a couple of years ago: the New Change building seemed to have undergone a facelift. But evidently you didn't know this (or half as much as you thought you did.) The dome fills the windows of the BoE building.

Really. You simply cannot get the hecklers.