UXB - what is the procedure?

I entered the Royal Corps of Signals as a Territorial, with some Regular attachment. Money was good and I was lucky enough to be accepted for training, even though my entrance test scores weren't brilliant. Though good enough to be an operator trade rather than a line-man, which I was offered at first.

And here is Flying Felix face gauge.

There isn't one for HE117, photography wasn't invented then.

... actually Chloroform would probably be better!
Which leads us nicely to my guaranteed chat up lines.....

"Does this smell like chloroform to you love?"

and if that doesn't work....

"Roses are red violets are blue, this is a knife, get in the back of the van".

Credit Emo Phillips.

Stumbled into this website, quite by accident, and found the digitalised 1940 War Office manual on German shells, fuzes, and bombs.
Handling German munitions

Download options after clicking the link.

Hi all

I posted one of these on the Vietnam thread as I am there running some EOD training. We've just had this reported (Friday afternoon, what a surprise) and are going to have a look tomorrow.

Pretty sure it's a Mk82 but will confirm that when we see it. All the 80 series look similar esp when there's nothing in the pic to give scale.

Note the JCB gouge marks and the black clump on the tail. We're thinking that there was an attempt to heat up the tail to get it off to expose the tail fuze. No nose fuze visible but that could be just that it sheared off (common with the 904).

Initial suspicions are that the home team had a go at this using an expedient approach, then reported it to us when it got complicated...but we haven't seen it yet of course.

B

You can just see the excavator that was apparently used for the precision handling...

IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

Hi all

I posted one of these on the Vietnam thread as I am there running some EOD training. We've just had this reported (Friday afternoon, what a surprise) and are going to have a look tomorrow.

Pretty sure it's a Mk82 but will confirm that when we see it. All the 80 series look similar esp when there's nothing in the pic to give scale.

Note the JCB gouge marks and the black clump on the tail. We're thinking that there was an attempt to heat up the tail to get it off to expose the tail fuze. No nose fuze visible but that could be just that it sheared off (common with the 904).

Initial suspicions are that the home team had a go at this using an expedient approach, then reported it to us when it got complicated...but we haven't seen it yet of course.

B

You can just see the excavator that was apparently used for the precision handling...

View attachment 346990

View attachment 346991
Ahh, that's just a lump of inert scrap...........................................just cut it up with a gas axe :slow:

Just set up the video camera before hand and leave instructions for it to be uploaded onto this thread :pc:

FN as well - apparently when Browning tested the HP made in WW2 and used by the Germans, they found deliberate 'design changes', misalignments etc etc etc, which would lead to jams, inaccuracy etc
Spotted this post when the thread rose from the dead.

Many years ago, here in the US, I was an active Red Cross volunteer and on one occasion ended up spending a night managing a shelter full of flood victims with another older volunteer named Slavko. Slavko was from the Ukraine and was just finishing a degree in mechanical engineering in Prague when the Gerrys marched in and took over. He ended up working as a slave in a weapons factory making guns for the Germans. He spent the night telling me stories of making very bad guns for the Germans. At first they made guns so that the receiver had bits at the top of the specs tolerance and the slide would have clearances at the bottom end of the specs so the guns would work when clean and oiled but jam when the tiniest bit of dirt entered the gun. Eventually the Germans caught on and shot several of the workers to set an example. Slavko and a colleague then figured out a way to **** up the heat treatment of the back of the receiver of SMG's so that the gun would pass all the hardness etc tests when proofed. However after about 200-250 rounds through the gun the receiver would give up to metal fatigue and the bolt would blow back through the back of the gun into the eye of the shooter, hopefully going through the eye socket entering the brain. He risked his life by making bad guns but he really hated Germans (and Russians)
Oh, how Slavko laughed talking about the Germans getting killed.
Slavko went on to a career in the US doing engineering for candy factories, redesigning machines making bonbons into machines to make candy bars etc.

Ahh, that's just a lump of inert scrap...........................................just cut it up with a gas axe :slow:

Just set up the video camera before hand and leave instructions for it to be uploaded onto this thread :pc:

This is the helpful chap who found the bomb. Apparently the army were 'guarding' it over the weekend...

Mk 82

Nose fuze smacked
No tail fuze

Will pick up and carry away for disposal at our local Dems site.