UVF Centenary celebrations

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blade-Runner, Apr 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the piece......

"In a nod to the UVF's historic past, many of those taking part in yesterday's parade wore period costume from 1913.
    But the paramilitary chiefs who make up its current leadership stuck to suits similar to those favoured by Mafia dons."

2. Bunch of scumbags. Doesn't matter which side of the divide, i despise all the terrorists.

• Like Like x 9
  3. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

UVF flags all over lamposts in east Belfast. Billed as the 1913 flag and nothing to do with the current crop. It has a head and shoulders drawing of Carson Craig and Crawford ( Crawford may actually have been cashiered from the British Army)
    Despite the protestations that this was a community cultural affair. No cameras were allowed and the speeches weren't recorded or reported.
    TV crews were told to stop filming.
    A perfectly acceptable example of loyalist culture.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  4. In light of the recent celebrations of the formation of the U.V.F , we must not forget that the U.V.F formed in 1913 are clearly not the same organization as the modern day so called U.V.F, and have no direct link to the real one, and are only masquerading under the same name from the late 60s early 70s. The U.V.F is held in quite high regarded by unionists in Ireland as an important part of their Britishness and willingness to fight for that right in foreign battlefields. after its formation it went n in 1916 to fight in the battle of the Somme as part of the 36th (ulster) Division and made up one of the 12 or so British Divisions who took part in the opening offensive on the 1st of july. Similar to many other English Div. on the line at that time , it was part of the new army, and due to its locality directed recruiting and manning, when its casualty toll of the 1st day of the offensive came in at 5500, and ulster being not a overly populous place at that time, means that barley a family was untouched by the worst kind of news shortly after the battle. Again this is an important part of N. Ireland Unionist heritage to this day and must and means a lot to a lot of people. Also not forgetting the reasons it was formed, which was to fight the Nationalists in the impending civil war between the pro British and pro independent in Ireland , which was only prevented by the outbreak of war with Germany. Again a testimony to the will of Unionists wish to remain British .The modern day so called U.V.F yes have taken a part in these celebrations (who I am in no way trying to defend) but must not be the focus point by spectators and media, but we must remember THE U.V.F who walked the bloody road to the Somme.

5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

While we're at it the Newfoundlanders, the Newfies hold the record for greatest percentage loss on the Somme.
    By day two they were for all intents and purposes wiped out.
    Sometimes you get the idea that the 36th Ulster Division were the only crowd who showed up on July the 1st.
    These days, dope dealers and thugs. Its probably a good job there are no surviving members of the original UVF to see whats being done in their name.

6. And that it was the last "good" thing to happen in history.

Observance of history is a good thing, but you can bang a drum too long.

7. I merely stated that this was part of the contribution that was made by Ulster men and the U.V.F was there, and im quite sure that I didn't indicate it was a competition of casualties, just stated some of the reasons for there place in Unionist heritage, and I absolutely did not state that '36th Ulster Division were the only crowd who showed up on July the 1st' I didn't know it wasn't allowed to celebrate units on an individual basis?
    Again I don't defend the modern day lot called the same, just trying not to let more modern day events or circumstances overshadow history.

8. I beg to differ, when the drum being banged is for the fallen I don't think that is true.
    how long are we going to continue with the act of remembrance in November? when will it be deemed too long????

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh you mean that they did the same thing a young men from all over Europe and beyond did?

Well, whoopty do! Let's have a parade.

10. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

About thirty seconds after a United Ireland's declared:)

11. Perhaps a century after the last lad dies in war, who knows?

12. ok so forget the fallen , forget history, do not acknowledge past, and dare not celebrate anything that didn't happen 30 seconds ago??? sound about right??? and the was no United Ireland 30 seconds later, a thing called partition the creation of the Irish republic and Northern Ireland which remained part of the United Kingdom, United???? no.

13. The rest of the world seem to be remarkably adept at remembering those who serve/served, those who live with the costs of service and those who fell.
    And they seem to do it without the marching around all & sundry, "honouring" of domestic terrorists and tootling flutes that amuses one section of the NI community.

I'm afraid the rest of your post makes no sense to me whatsoever.

• Like Like x 2