UUP leader discovers squaddie humour and politics are poor combo.

'Dugout' Doug Beattie is to take his leadership to the party. I reckon they'll vote to keep him but have their minds changed for them in the election campaign.

It's 2022, he'll fall on his sword as his public image is now a smouldering heap regardless of mitigation/ circumstance/ contrition.
I'd agree wholeheartedly were it not for the dearth of potential replacements. Doug was useful because (until this week) he was 'posh' enough to pull swing voters from Alliance and he was "in" so could attract the undecided away from DUP/TUV/Indies in some quarters. He's only good for 50% of that now, but that's probably still better than most of the rest of the UUP.

Why does every public figure apologise for things they posted? Why do none of them own it, and stand by what they said?

So that when they're forced to resign they have more credibility successfully applying for another job outside the public eye.

Imagine being sat in front of HR at your next interview trying to condone misogyny/ racism? Good luck with that.

Why does every public figure apologise for things they posted? Why do none of them own it, and stand by what they said?
Probably because they like getting paid.

I'd agree wholeheartedly were it not for the dearth of potential replacements. Doug was useful because (until this week) he was 'posh' enough to pull swing voters from Alliance and he was "in" so could attract the undecided away from DUP/TUV/Indies in some quarters. He's only good for 50% of that now, but that's probably still better than most of the rest of the UUP.

I'm sure on the surface he seems a top bloke. Unfortunately there seems a significant amount of purple mist surrounding him when he was using social media.

I'm sure on the surface he seems a top bloke. Unfortunately there seems a significant amount of purple mist surrounding him when he was using social media.
He seems aa dcent enough spud, which is probably why he'd little chance in politics here.

Mbongwe

Old-Salt
I've not been able to find Beattie's tweet about Poots' wife; am I missing much? ;)

I've not been able to find Beattie's tweet about Poots' wife; am I missing much? ;)
doug.jpg

So that when they're forced to resign they have more credibility successfully applying for another job outside the public eye.

Imagine being sat in front of HR at your next interview trying to condone misogyny/ racism? Good luck with that.
If someone's hauled into a meeting with HR because of a Tweet, it's more or less game over anyway.

If someone's hauled into a meeting with HR because of a Tweet, it's more or less game over anyway.
An apology, contrition and agreeing to go on a course works wonders.
Doug's problem here is that it's not a tweet, but multiple instances of tweeting.

Is that it? FFS i have heard young kids tell better jokes.
Meh. I dunno I think it was a pretty bloody stupid thing to post, I can't imagine how he thought he was going to get away with it.

It was a twitter pile on by Irish Nationalists/Republicans.

Then the Alliance Party (UUP target audience to steal Unionist middle class votes) reps got involved and they were equating his tweets to beginning of the road to gang rape and genocide ffs.

Now the media has sniffed a wounded animal and have gone in to kill his political career.

And Sinn Fein of all people are now ranting about womens rights etc.. fcuking hypocritical cnuts.. Jean McConville ring a bell.

It was a twitter pile on by Irish Nationalists/Republicans.
Of course and it was a nailed on certaintly to happen. Which is why I can't get my head around him tweeting the joke. (the older tweets can't be helped frankly).

Latest Threads