Utterly useless figures, generated through boredom

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Fugly, Jun 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Mrs Fugly is out, and I am utterly bored. In the course of my dull evening, I have realised that Arrse isn't as large as we percieve.

Out of (at time of posting) 27,696 registered users, only 16,003 have actually bothered posting anything. That's only 58%. There are vast amount of users registered back as far as the "big crash" in 2003 who have never uttered a word.

Also, less than 2000 have posted more than 100 times. That's only 7%.

Yes I know, post counts mean jack squat - it's what you actually post which counts. But the 27,000+ membership of Arrse is mentioned quite often, when in reality it seems we are a very small clan indeed, with only a few regulars offering serious input.

Feel free to ridicule my sad evening :)
  2. Don't know whose sadder, you for posting it or me for reading it!!
  3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Me, definately.

You, a close second :)
  4. Agreed. Time for another beer, methinks and a look at the Woodworkers' International website....

5. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Actually it wasn't a big crash in 2003, but a big upgrade!

As far as numbers go, I think those are pretty good as forums go. There is no doubt that the vast number of people tend to lurk on sites like ARRSE rather than actively contribute. In fact I'm certain that I read somewhere that all Web 2.0 sites are similar. I think less than 1% of YouTube users have ever uploaded a video for instance .....
  6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

New Yankee Workshop

Norm Abram is God!
  7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Did the big hack of the site happen before that, then? Was enduring an alcohol-fuelled course at the time....

Without doubt, there are far more lurkers on Arrse than posters. With reference to Youtube, the reason for the low upload stats is that you have to register to view adult content. People therefore register just to get the best of the smut/gore.

I just wonder why 11,000 people have registered here to post nothing, when it free to browse / lurk anyway?
  8. The stats for ARRSE are very good. Generally, a site like this could expect 1 in 10 registered users to make the odd post and 1 in 100 to actually contribute properly to the site.