Utter crap or real event?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bensonby, Jan 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been doing a bit of high-brow reading: A book of "Darwin Awards" - an inventory of how people have died in stupid circumstances. This one jumped out at me as a supposed "near miss" but it isn't verified properly (as a lot of them are - through newspaper references etc.) and personally, for a couple of reasons, I don't think it rings true I wonder if anyone can shed any light:

The above is from the book,"The Darwin Awards" by Wendy Northcutt, 2000. pp. 158-159
  2. I dont remember a petrol station in York St, We had to drive out to Palace barrecks in Hollywood to refuel when I was there
  3. i read a story in a book about an ira asu that planted a car bomb with command wire and where watching it from a hill, a unit of royal marines was passing the car and noticed something funny inside it, he then called the unit over and there where about 6 or 7 of them all looking in the windows when the ira blew it up, the bomb failed to explode the correct way and there was a small thud from inside the car.

good drills eh?
  4. No. Anything but.
  5. complete balls empty car " Fetch Felix "
  6. I can’t verify nor deny the incident, however, I would ask the question as to why they would be filling up at a civilian petrol station.

It doesn’t ring true in that respect

Edit to add: But then again I never had the responsibility of filling white fleet in the province in that era
  7. Did PIRA really attempt to fire RPGs from moving vehicles in the early 70s? I heard there was a few players frazzled in the early days. True or urban myth?
  8. No but here's one that got hit by a fekcer notice where the car door ended up the rocket motor carried it that far after the warhead had exploded

Attached Files:

9. I do remember seeing the footage one security camera taken from XMG (if memory serves) which showed a team from a multiple from a certain unit patrolling up to what was a suspicious vehicle. vehicle was well low at the back, hence the reason the camera operator was zooming towards it. Point man patrols past without a second look, second man strolls over to have a shufty, team commander joins him....bang. Not very nice.

Also remember a rather clever young man who climbed up one of the trees along the Whiterock road (behind the wall) one evening to present a passing patrol with a 'sweety jar'. I believe he was found twenty minutes later still out cold underneath said tree
  10. I've heard that story a few times although each time some of the details are slightly different ie in another version instead of an off duty copy it was a Sherpa van with prison service bods who on seeing the shooting going on opened fire at both sides as they drove by.

I've always thought it was a possible event.
  11. heard the tale very similar, para's and UDR, both gave same location on contact reports. I haven't been in the province since 1985 so its a very very old tale ( or urban myth )
  12. another version has them breaking down not filling up.

I'd bet there is some truth to the story.
  13. There is no doubt that there were a number of blue on blues, but this one, I think is a bit "urban myth" made up of a number of incidents, over a long time
  14. Its happened on a number of occasions where a device has partialled, and people have got extremely lucky.

Only about 5 months ago the PSNI were driving over a bridge and a device partialled underneath it.
  15. Anybody going anywhere near an empty car in NI must have a death wish, infact it was illegal to leave an un-searched car in Belfast City Center, When a device has partialled, that is differant, even the odd ATO has come unstuck with them. Secondarys are differant matter. I was involved in one down near Clougher and lost two good friends

These stories are probably bassed on fact but have been "Mythed Up" to tell a better tail