Utter crap or real event?

I've been doing a bit of high-brow reading: A book of "Darwin Awards" - an inventory of how people have died in stupid circumstances. This one jumped out at me as a supposed "near miss" but it isn't verified properly (as a lot of them are - through newspaper references etc.) and personally, for a couple of reasons, I don't think it rings true I wonder if anyone can shed any light:

Personal Account: 5 Soldiers, 6 Police, 0 brains

Early 1970s, Northern Ireland

An undercover military intelligence squad was patrolling a notorious Belfast area in plain clothes. After a long and perilous evening they emerged onto a York Street and stopped for petrol and a few smokes. One of the soldiers asked the attendant if there was a pay phone, and the attendant pointed to the rear of the store.

As the soldier turned toward the phone, the attendant caught the flash of a concealed weapon. Alarmed and fearing a terrorist holdup, he vanished into the back room, where he phones the local police station a hundred yards up the street. But instead of phoning the front desk, which new about all the military patrols in the area, he phoned a pal in the CID.

The CID was so excited by the thought of a good action going down, that they failed to consult with the local police at the front desk. They drove out, mob handed, to rescue their friend from terrorists.

The soldiers were just preparing to leave the petrol station when a car screamed to a halt across the street and disgorged six plainclothes policemen brandishing an assortment of weapons. Believing they were under attack by terroristsm the soldiers drew their own weapons, dived behind their vehicle, and opened fire. The police returned fire in earnest. For good measure an off-duty officer around the corner drew his weapon and fired four shots into the air.

The exchange lasted many minutes before a lone voice sounded, "Stop! Police."

Another voice shouted back, "Cease fire! Army."

Over one hundred rounds were fired across the busy intersection during the exchange. Not a single person was hurt and the story was kept from teh media to protect the identities of the "intelligence" officers involved.

source: A personal account of a Lt. who new the participants well
The above is from the book,"The Darwin Awards" by Wendy Northcutt, 2000. pp. 158-159

I dont remember a petrol station in York St, We had to drive out to Palace barrecks in Hollywood to refuel when I was there

i read a story in a book about an ira asu that planted a car bomb with command wire and where watching it from a hill, a unit of royal marines was passing the car and noticed something funny inside it, he then called the unit over and there where about 6 or 7 of them all looking in the windows when the ira blew it up, the bomb failed to explode the correct way and there was a small thud from inside the car.

good drills eh?

Uladh said:
i read a story in a book about an ira asu that planted a car bomb with command wire and where watching it from a hill, a unit of royal marines was passing the car and noticed something funny inside it, he then called the unit over and there where about 6 or 7 of them all looking in the windows when the ira blew it up, the bomb failed to explode the correct way and there was a small thud from inside the car.

good drills eh?
complete balls empty car " Fetch Felix "

I can’t verify nor deny the incident, however, I would ask the question as to why they would be filling up at a civilian petrol station.

It doesn’t ring true in that respect

Edit to add: But then again I never had the responsibility of filling white fleet in the province in that era

Did PIRA really attempt to fire RPGs from moving vehicles in the early 70s? I heard there was a few players frazzled in the early days. True or urban myth?

Rudie said:
Did PIRA really attempt to fire RPGs from moving vehicles in the early 70s? I heard there was a few players frazzled in the early days. True or urban myth?
No but here's one that got hit by a fekcer notice where the car door ended up the rocket motor carried it that far after the warhead had exploded

Attachments

I do remember seeing the footage one security camera taken from XMG (if memory serves) which showed a team from a multiple from a certain unit patrolling up to what was a suspicious vehicle. vehicle was well low at the back, hence the reason the camera operator was zooming towards it. Point man patrols past without a second look, second man strolls over to have a shufty, team commander joins him....bang. Not very nice.

Also remember a rather clever young man who climbed up one of the trees along the Whiterock road (behind the wall) one evening to present a passing patrol with a 'sweety jar'. I believe he was found twenty minutes later still out cold underneath said tree

bensonby said:
I've been doing a bit of high-brow reading: A book of "Darwin Awards" - an inventory of how people have died in stupid circumstances. This one jumped out at me as a supposed "near miss" but it isn't verified properly (as a lot of them are - through newspaper references etc.) and personally, for a couple of reasons, I don't think it rings true I wonder if anyone can shed any light:

An undercover military intelligence squad was patrolling a notorious Belfast area in plain clothes. After a long and perilous evening they emerged onto a York Street and stopped for petrol and a few smokes. One of the soldiers asked the attendant if there was a pay phone, and the attendant pointed to the rear of the store.

As the soldier turned toward the phone, the attendant caught the flash of a concealed weapon. Alarmed and fearing a terrorist holdup, he vanished into the back room, where he phones the local police station a hundred yards up the street. But instead of phoning the front desk, which new about all the military patrols in the area, he phoned a pal in the CID.

The CID was so excited by the thought of a good action going down, that they failed to consult with the local police at the front desk. They drove out, mob handed, to rescue their friend from terrorists.

The soldiers were just preparing to leave the petrol station when a car screamed to a halt across the street and disgorged six plainclothes policemen brandishing an assortment of weapons. Believing they were under attack by terroristsm the soldiers drew their own weapons, dived behind their vehicle, and opened fire. The police returned fire in earnest. For good measure an off-duty officer around the corner drew his weapon and fired four shots into the air.

Over one hundred rounds were fired across the busy intersection during the exchange. Not a single person was hurt and the story was kept from teh media to protect the identities of the "intelligence" officers involved.

The above is from the book,"The Darwin Awards" by Wendy Northcutt, 2000. pp. 158-159
I've heard that story a few times although each time some of the details are slightly different ie in another version instead of an off duty copy it was a Sherpa van with prison service bods who on seeing the shooting going on opened fire at both sides as they drove by.

I've always thought it was a possible event.

CAARPS said:
I can’t verify nor deny the incident, however, I would ask the question as to why they would be filling up at a civilian petrol station.

It doesn’t ring true in that respect

Edit to add: But then again I never had the responsibility of filling white fleet in the province in that era
another version has them breaking down not filling up.

I'd bet there is some truth to the story.

There is no doubt that there were a number of blue on blues, but this one, I think is a bit "urban myth" made up of a number of incidents, over a long time

tropper66 said:
Uladh said:

good drills eh?
complete balls empty car " Fetch Felix "
Its happened on a number of occasions where a device has partialled, and people have got extremely lucky.

Only about 5 months ago the PSNI were driving over a bridge and a device partialled underneath it.

Anybody going anywhere near an empty car in NI must have a death wish, infact it was illegal to leave an un-searched car in Belfast City Center, When a device has partialled, that is differant, even the odd ATO has come unstuck with them. Secondarys are differant matter. I was involved in one down near Clougher and lost two good friends

These stories are probably bassed on fact but have been "Mythed Up" to tell a better tail

From a book by Ian Phoenix on a SB operation early 90s. They heard that an arms move by the UVF was going down in Tandragee so HMSU was sent to intercept it, they pulled the car over just outside the town , searched it but no weapons. During the search one of the detainees mobile phone goes off and is answered by an RUC. "Where the F uck are ye" a west belfast voice comes down the phone, the RUC also from west belfast replies "we're just down the road trying to find the place, where the F uck are YOU" ? "We're behind the garage at the top of the hill". HMSU straight up the hill in Tandragee 3 more arrests and a healthy weapons find. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bensonby said:

Yes it's true,though not early 70s more 77-81 firing only stopped when an RUC Land Rover appeared, observer in the truck was the late Const G--- "Dog" D----- a good mate of mine ,apparently both lots stopped shooting with the words "They're over there".

Tytus_Barnowl said:
From a book by Ian Phoenix on a SB operation early 90s. They heard that an arms move by the UVF was going down in Tandragee so HMSU was sent to intercept it, they pulled the car over just outside the town , searched it but no weapons. During the search one of the detainees mobile phone goes off and is answered by an RUC. "Where the F uck are ye" a west belfast voice comes down the phone, the RUC also from west belfast replies "we're just down the road trying to find the place, where the F uck are YOU" ? "We're behind the garage at the top of the hill". HMSU straight up the hill in Tandragee 3 more arrests and a healthy weapons find. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hmm mobile phone in the early 90s? Those terrorists were quite ahead of the army in technology back then! we had only just got hold of bleepers!

ashford_old_school said:
Tytus_Barnowl said:

hmm mobile phone in the early 90s? Those terrorists were quite ahead of the army in technology back then! we had only just got hold of bleepers!
Bollox, I was responsible for backloading the mobile phones in 1991 after it was discovered they were not in the least bit secure. This was discovered due to a Junior NI minister badmouthing Thatcher and being taped and broadcast by Loyalists.

PS they were at least the size of a car battery or a compact one was like a breeze block with buttons.