Utility Warehouse

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by MiracleBill, Sep 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before I dive in with both feet, does anyone have any experience with this utility provider good, bad or otherwise? I can't see how they can offer a decent 'service' as a third party.

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

You seem to get the cheapest service by having Everything with them. Good friend of mine used to be an agent, his argument was they keep cost down because theres no infrastructure.

Seems a reasonable argument, and I've got no reason to distrust him.

3. The way it works these days is that you don't buy the electricity/gas generated by your supplier

The 'service of supply' you get is based on your infrastructure (national grid unless you are in some remote location or on a landowners infrastructure). (Eg in flats, mobile home sites etc your supplier may be your landlord, and for many SFA and private homes in the Salisbury plain area the army installed and own the infrastructure)

Each 'utility retailer' buys in bulk in advance trying to estimate usage and timing things right for the lowest advance rate
    They then sell it on to you for a profit, hoping that they don't have surplus that month and that customers don't exceed what they bought in advance as they then have to pay current trade prices and probably excess capacity fees

If you just want supply then buy cheapest, (and check for consistency on consumer websites to see if they just offer cheap prices then slip them up later) if you want customer service such as a phone that get answered then take that into account

4. A friends with them & has got a good deal, but do check the small print just in case.

5. Use them for everything bar mobile phones as I got a good deal with O2. BIG difference in all my bills. Also do the monthly phone in meter readings so no inflated direct debits to companies then having to fight to get overpayments back. Check out the stuff in the Which? guide. No worries from me on using them.

6. Hi I have used them for over a year and 6 months ago signed up as an Independent Distributor. We have saved money and have already started to make money for recommending it to family and friends. If anyone wants any information let me know. Paul

7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Question. What commission rate do you get if you sign someone up?

8. It depends on what services they sign up for but on average you get £4 to £5 commission each month of every person you sign up and as long as they remain a customer you continue to get that income. Take a look at this link Business Opportunity it explains better than I can and you can request an email pack to take a look at.

9. They caused me a major headache where they ignored written instruction from a previous occupant of my quarters (Salvation Army, not military property) and during a period when it was unoccupied gained entry and switched the meters to prepayment meters, then refused to address their failings. However, I accept that might be a one off.

10. I have heard of something similar with problems about moving into a property already receiving the utilities from Utitlity Warehouse and the new occupant trying to cancel and go with someone else, but not the prepayment thing.

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Was it a rented property? They really have gone off of rental properties in a big way, been stung to often as I understand it.

12. I'm sure there is a rather large thread on utility warehouse on moneysavingexpert.com

13. Because it's a club and discounts are passed onto its members, if people don't pay their bills then those costs would have to be recouped somewhere and that would effect the cost to everyone.

14. While we're on the subject cheapest energy deal I could get last year was with E.on. They guaranteed no price increases this year. My tariff doesn't exist anymore so yes my price has increased. They had of course guaranteed no price rise this year, it's true it was increased last year!
    I've just switched to Scottish power, fixed until Feb 2014. It's £100 more expensive than my non-existent E.on tariff, but £200 cheaper than the tariff E.on moved me to. I complained to E.on and there were cheaper tariffs than the one they'd changed me to. Scoundrels.

15. Registration Cost for Distributor £100

Customer Gathering Bonus - On Average £20 (Depending what they sign up for)

Residual Income
    Earn on average 3.5% per customer
    Customer spends approx £150 per month - approx £5 income per customer

So if you gathered 100 customers = £500 per month every month.

If you introduce other distributors you will receive up to 50p per month on their customers and their group customers.

I hope this gives you some idea.