Utah adopts Browning M1911 as first ever "state gun"

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Blogg, Jan 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The attendant article "Profile: John Moses Browning, the world's most inventive firearms designer" is appallingly bad. Riddled with inaccuracies and just plain rubbish.
  2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

As the 1911 was produced by Colt, and FN have owned the Browning trade mark since 1977 HTF can they call the 1911 a Browning since J M Browning sold the Colt company the pistol design in 1911, the first production being in January 1912
  3. Great logic that

So what would you call the Browning .50 now? it was made by SACO, ERMCO, FN, Colt, General Dynamics, Kelsey Hayes Wheel co., AC Delco Sparkplug, Savage Arms, Buffalo Arms, Hi Standard Arms co, Springfield Armory, RAMO, Manroy, Wayne Pump co, Frigidaire, General Motors, Saginaw Steering, etc............

do you say bring up the AC Delco and the Buffalo Arms and suppress?
  4. Surely the most important part of that article is that Utah has a State Cooking Pot !
  5. Gun Violence Prevention Center board member Steve Gunn said that honouring the M1911 is wrong because the people who opened fire in most recent US mass shootings used semi-automatic pistols. That includes the Arizona, shooting in which six people were killed and 13 – including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords – were wounded with a Glock pistol.

Nomen ist omen?

My bold.
  6. I don't think that anyone calls an M1911 a Browning except the Daily Telegraph. (See my previous comment about the attendant article.)

And Colt don't call it the M1911/M1911A1, that is the US Government's designation. Colt call it the "Colt Government Model". That's what is on the side of my 1914 Commercial model.
  7. John moses Browning deserves the recognition. Lord knows his firearms have done more good than evil over the years.
  8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

As a designer he is without peer, but he did not make any weapons after 1883, When he and his brother parted company
  9. [​IMG]

The Tec 9 could be the gun of columbine.
  10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

And the Mannlicher Carcano would have be the gun for Dallas Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  11. It is, because it opens the door to a whole world of inane "State" things:

State Symbols USA - official state and national symbols, emblems, icons

Thus we find Minnesota with a State Muffin (blueberry), Wyoming somehow felt it necessary to proclaim a State Language (English....) and Nebraska a State Soft Drink (Kool-Aid)
  12. The SMLE could be the gun of Jallianwala Bagh.......
  13. So I'm assuming that Surrey would adopt the smelly?

14. Good question where James Paris Lee from?