USS Winston Churchill reports for Texas Mardi Gras

GALVESTON — Add the U.S. Navy to the participants in Mardi Gras! Galveston.

The Galveston Park Board of Trustees on Monday announced that the USS Winston Churchill will ease into Pier 21 Friday. Twenty- two of the ship’s 380 sailors will participate in the Momus Grand Night Parade at 7 p.m. Saturday.

With its homeport in Norfolk, Va., the Winston Churchill was built four years ago in Bath, Maine.

It will be an imposing sight on the waterfront. The 511-foot ship is part of the Guided-Missile Destroyer Class.

Navy publications say that destroyers in the Churchill’s class are the most capable surface warships ever built.

The ship has a MK 41 Vertical launching System, which can fire 90 surface-to-air or surface-to-surface missiles. It also has eight Harpoon anti-ship missile launchers and six MK 46 torpedo tubes.

When the Churchill was commissioned March 10, 2001, it became the only active warship in the Navy to be named after a foreign national, and only the fourth-ever to be named after an Englishman.

The Churchill is also the only U.S. Navy vessel to have a Royal Navy officer assigned to it.

Churchill himself was half-American, but on his father’s side, he was pure English aristocrat. Descended from John Churchill, the first Duke of Marlborough, Winston Churchill was born in 1874 in Blenheim Palace.

He served as a soldier or a war correspondent — or both — during conflicts in Cuba in 1895, in India in 1897 and in Sudan in 1898. A lifelong writer, Churchill would later win the Nobel Prize for literature.

In 1901, he began his political career with his first election to Parliament. Ten years later, he was named First Lord of the Admiralty — a post he held as World War I broke out three years later.

Then in 1940, as the Nazi juggernaut spread across Europe, Churchill ascended to the British premiership based on his long record of anti-fascism.
http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=48303d60a30bc30d

Portsmouth, England, Aug. 22, 2001, the guided missile destroyer USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG 81) is greeted with a fly-by from a British WWII Spitfire as she enters Portsmouth, England. U.S. Navy photo by Chief Photographer's Mate George Chen. [010822-N-2482C-003] Aug. 22, 2001.

8)

WEATHERMAN1956 said:
Sleeper_service sez:

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast!"

Say Ss... ahh... which end of that 'kipper' do ya light up?

8)

(Party at Galveston! gotta love it!)
This could be a wah, but I shall take it at face value.

Kippers, kedgeree and porridge laced with scotch. Now THATS a breakfast! :D

Sleeper_service wrote:

Kippers, kedgeree and porridge laced with scotch.
The 'porridge laced with scotch' sounds like the 'whiskey oats'
I feed my horse when he's down...

Man...that 'kedgeree' stuff...isn't that a 'poached fish'?

Last time I[/] 'poached' a fish...the mescalero apache 'game warden'
who caught me with a flyrod on a reservation creek nearly scalped my wallet!

8O
[/quote]

You're kinda on the right track, but the kipper is a smoked herring, Kedgeree is a traditional dish of rice, flaked/smoked fish and hard-boiled eggs.
I dont know about your "whiskey oats", but it sounds to me like you spoil that horse! :wink:
Our porridge is what you call oatmeal, and as its a Scottish dish, it has to be served with scotch which is Scots whisky (no e) whiskey is Irish, and at the risk of a barrage of abuse from the culchies, its an inferior product.

I've gotta say, the chance of being scalped by Apaches, does make the UK sound dull by comparison. 8O

Like the Red Dwarf qoute!!

Ain't Porrdige supposed to have salt with it and not suger? Apparently brings out the oat taste more and its a savory food.

(Useless info for you!)

Anya1982 said:
Like the Red Dwarf qoute!!

Ain't Porrdige supposed to have salt with it and not suger? Apparently brings out the oat taste more and its a savory food.

(Useless info for you!)
Yeh, well thats the theory, but trust me, leave both the salt and sugar alone (unless you want to get fat and/or have a heart attack! :lol: ) and go with the scotch, its sheer bloody ambrosia! (food of the gods, not the tinned rice pudding :roll: )

Galveston! I still have my Galveston RFC shirt. The last stop on a gruelling fortnight long tour....I tore an intercostal muscle and didnt feel it til I was back in the UK for 3 days.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Portsmouth, England, Aug. 22, 2001, the guided missile destroyer USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG 81) is greeted with a fly-by from a British WWII Spitfire as she enters Portsmouth, England. U.S. Navy photo by Chief Photographer's Mate George Chen. [010822-N-2482C-003] Aug. 22, 2001.
That's one brave pilot !

Would you fly anything past a septic ship that has live AA/AAA onboard ? 8O

Cutaway said:

That's one brave pilot !

Would you fly anything past a septic ship that has live AA/AAA onboard ? 8O
:lol:

not feckin' likely!! 8O

Yup. That's it. Oatmeal with Whisky (or Wiskey, and yes, we know the difference) is what we feed the horses. :D

Gets them a bit tipsy and cooperative for grooming chores of a delicate nature.

Never imagined people ate this mix. 8O

Oatmeal is eaten with butter, brown sugar and sometimes raisins and milk.

:D

HellonWheels said:
Yup. That's it. Oatmeal with Whisky (or Wiskey, and yes, we know the difference) is what we feed the horses. :D

Gets them a bit tipsy and cooperative for grooming chores of a delicate nature.

Never imagined people ate this mix. 8O

Oatmeal is eaten with butter, brown sugar and sometimes raisins and milk.

:D
I probably dont qualify as "people" due to my fairly extreme nature, but most people who eat this, are Scots, and they are not, technically speaking, people either! :D

Latest Threads