ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

USS John S McCain collides with merchant ship

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rampant, Aug 21, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For those still interested:

According to reports, the Transport Safety Investigation Bureau (TSIB) of Singapore stated that they had reviewed the Maritime and Port Authority's (MPA) Vessel Traffic Information System recordings. They found that both combined chemical and oil tanker Alnic MC and guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain showed up on MPA's radar. TSIB added that it only received AIS signals from the tanker and not from the warship. However, the bureau said that, under the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, mandatory carriage of AIS does not apply to warships and troopships. The complete report of Singapore's investigations into the collision will reportedly be made public once it is ready, which usually takes up to 12 months. -- Correspondent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Baglock

Baglock On ROPs

Well this certainly jumped out at me.

"I am willing to bet that those ships involved in incidents with merchants had all their sexual orientation, transgender training, and environmental training all completed at the expense of the safety and operational training.

If you put the emphasis on social issues, you get a social force. If you put it on operational issues, you get an operational force"

Otherwise, the Captain sounds a bit chippy tbh

• Like Like x 1
  3. "There is no way on my ships that would have happened. We always had direct leadership. Leadership that was there, present and capable. I am willing to bet that those ships involved in incidents with merchants had all their sexual orientation, transgender training, and environmental training all completed at the expense of the safety and operational training."

On merch ships that I sailed on we didn't have 'direct leadership, leadership that was there present and capable'.

We just had people who were trained to look out of the ******* window.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Given that the Captain wanted to remain incognito, he was very forthcoming with his career history. If I could be bothered, I reckon I could work out the colour of his car in about half an hour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. NSP

NSP LE

On the ships I work on diversity training is delivered, thus: "We're all in the same boat. We're all adults. You will at all times treat each other with respect and courtesy, regardless*. Right; at 11:00hrs there will be a muster drill. Fire teams will assemble in full kit on hearing the alarm ready to conduct this or that drill, etc, etc, etc."

* This does not preclude robust humour, banter or shouting at someone when they act like an inefficient, time-serving tit**.

** Read; spends most of their shift on Faceberk.

6. NSP

NSP LE

At least they've avoided a Second Class or three days on bread and water.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

If the CO is not possessed of good judgment the fault lies with whoever gave him the job in the first place.

• Like Like x 1