ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

USS John S McCain collides with merchant ship

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rampant, Aug 21, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sea Riders?

2. NSP

NSP LE

The caption said something about it being Belfast-affiliated HMS Duncan entering Belfast harbour on an inaugural goodwill visit or somesuch, so they might all be there to witness the spcial occasion or similar BS.

Most captains I know tend to say forcefully, "Anyone who doesn't need to be here can now foxtrot oscar, please," when they're doing entry/exit of ports. Most of them feel it's bad enough having the harbour pilot on the bridge, let alone a load of hangers-on rubberneckers cluttering up the place as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NSP

NSP LE

We've got some of that, too. Not surprisingly for the oil and gas support industry it's based around beige...

Floor.jpg

4. No. Fost staff would all be in berets/green foulies.
    As NSP suggested- PR phot

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. ...any suggestions on the most appropriate cushions and curtains? Vanilla or almond scented candles? ;-)

6. According to a book I was reading recently, it is common practice for the pilot, the CO, and the XO to stand on the roof of the bridge. None of these three appear to be in that photo.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Where's the kettle?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I've sailed with an OM who was in the RNR (or whatever it was called in the 70s) who insisted on everybody and his dog being on the bridge when we entered/left harbour. All they did was get in the way.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Er... no.

• Like Like x 1
  10. That's where they keep the monkeys...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Err yes. The book was BRd167 and it was talking about the mandatory requirements for WaH PTW.

PS. Fosties don't wear green foulies.

12. When did they discard the green foulies?

Throughout my service on T22/23s I never witnessed the skipper and pilot on the bridge roof as a routine serial.
    Things may have changed though so I defer to your higher knowledge ;)

13. Cal Mac seem to do OK into some tight places with a lot less than that.

14. Is someone excused gloves?

15. I'm only going off something I read in a book, and the reason I remember it was because it struck me as odd. It's not something I've seen myself, but then again, it's not something I'm likely to see.

Oh, and Sept 2003.