USS John S McCain collides with merchant ship

Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Another prang

SOUTH CHINA SEA (NNS) -- The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) was involved in a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca, Aug. 21.

The collision was reported at 6:24 a.m. Japan Standard Time, while the ship was transiting to a routine port visit in Singapore.

Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft.

Search and rescue efforts are underway in coordination with local authorities.
Not again.
Another one? This is becomng a habit!
Up until now I had thought that Fraserburgh trawlermen were the biggest hazard to navigation on the high seas but now I see it is actually the world's policespam that is the real culprit...
Last edited:

Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Up until now I thought Fraserburgh trawlermen were the biggest hazard to navigation on the high seas but now I see it's actually the world's policespam...
It's not easy to steer when your smacked off your tits.

Remember the rivalry between the old boys on the West Coast and North East Fishermen. NE despised the Westies as secretive and backwards as they spoke Gaelic between themselves out in the grounds, the Westies never trusted the NE saying they would happily slit a man's throat for a crate of fish.
It's not easy to steer when you're smacked off of your tits.
For clarity, folks, that's Fraserburgh trawlermen not the USN.

So I've been told. Allegedly.

Grammar/syntax policing gratis.
Loss of life may be higher following this incident, as there are 10 crewmembers missing from the destroyer. Another few officers' careers down the tubes possibly, subject to the outcome of the board of inquiry of course!
Deleted in consideration of Rampant's post about missing sailors.

Book Reviewer
I think the USN need a root and branch reform of their Bridge Management System, starting with how they man their bridges and the training for their junior watchkeeping officers.
He was directly quoted when returning to the White House on Sunday night, responding to reporters’ questions about the collision by saying: “That’s too bad.”

Not particularly endearing or presidential really......:roll:
McCain is better at the presidential comments as he proved when debating Hilary Clinton once: Sorry I couldn't join you at Woodstock Hilary, I had a previous engagement.

At the time of Woodstock, McCain was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.

The missing sailors might be trapped inside compartments in the ship. Impact from a missile or another ship can bend the ship's structure requiring great force to open doors and hatches as happened on the USS Fitzgerald. Hopefully their missing shipmates will be found alive and well.

If they have gone into the water, Google tells me that the sea temperature is 29.4 centigrade. Lower than body temperature but they won't succumb to hypothermia soon, especially if they were on watch and went over the side while wearing their clothes. The exact location of the ship during the collision is known and there will be a very heavy search and rescue effort from Singapore, Japan and other ships in the area. Hopefully any sailors who went over the side will soon be back aboard ship for steak and chips with a salty yarn that they'll be telling for the rest of their lives.

Latest Threads