USS Fitzgerald Collision

The US Navy are reporting that the USS Fitzgerald collided with a Merchant ship off the coast of Japan

The Fitzgerald is an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer with a crew of approximately 330 sailors. The collision was with a Philippine-flagged merchant vessel ACX Crystal. with a 29,000 ton displacement and approximately three times the size of the U.S. warship.

Neither vessel is expected to sink even though extensive damage is being reported.

Last edited:
7 Dead, ''Ships Captain fighting for his life'', ship rapidly taking on water in danger of sinking

56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka

How does this happen? More than one crew member has seriously screwed up.

How does it happen? A US warship hit an oil tanker in the gulf a couple of years ago.

And......

Last edited:
How does it happen? A US warship hit an oil tanker in the gulf a couple of years ago
With 7 crew members on deck with a Collision hard enough to send them swimming?

7 Dead, ''Ships Captain fighting for his life'', ship rapidly taking on water in danger of sinking

56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka
Ahhhh Yokosuka. Lovely lady.

With 7 crew members on deck with a Collision hard enough to send them swimming?
It's not just the spams our own crowd have previous for hitting merchant ships, trawlers and sand banks.

It's not just the spams our own crowd have previous for hitting merchant ships, trawlers and sand banks.
Not forgetting that HMS Southampton had a run in with a Tanker in the late 80s - It has to be said that the damage to Southampton looked far worse in the images**

**And yes I'm aware looks are deceptive and that damage below the water line cant be seen etc - hence careful usage of Looked

BBC reporting she is now "listing badly"

How does this happen? More than one crew member has seriously screwed up.
Why do I have the feeling that the phrase, or something eerily similar to the phrase, "Don't worry, I've done this hundreds of times, I know what I'm doing" will appear at some point in the investigation....

Steering gear breakdown?. I was on the Montrose when we arse-ended the FGS Emden, which was at flying stations, just leaving Plymouth sound. Wrote off their helo and bits of rotor blade were stuck in our 45 housing. We had a machy breakdown during coordinated departure. For them...the BOST was over.

The Yanks never learn do they? They have a habit of doing this....

I was serving in Singapore on 3rd June 1969 there was a collision between HMAS Melbourne and USS Frank E Evans in the South China Sea. Apparently Evans went underneath the Melbournes bows and the stern was ripped off - 74 dead.

I was in the Britannia Club with a couple of mates when the crews of both ships turned up....some idiot had allowed both ships to berth in HMS Terror(?) and then allowed both crews ashore at the same time.

The ensuing fight was memorable - anyone (and I mean anyone) who was present was alleged to have been fighting and the Shore Patrol was kept busy arresting folk - including me and my mates.

More info here:
Melbourne–Evans collision - Wikipedia

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Looking at the photos of the starboard side of Fitz's bridge and the merch's port bow this does not look good from a Rule of the Road pov.