USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Yes and no. I remember a fire in Pompey, can’t remember the ship but it was big plus 20,000 tons. It was in dry dock and all the mess mattresses were packed in to an aft mess. Jam packed in as they were to be thrown away. Any way all well and good but they left the mess lights on. All those mattresses jammed in tight, hot mess lights, and it went up. God knows how many mattresses but made a right mess. Never went to sea again.

I know the name will come to me 3 o’clock this morning.
Then i expect a full report at 0315. Carry on.

Well I was being optimistic earlier. I don see them bringing her back easily! Cost as much as a new ship now.

Someone's going to be having multiple interviews without coffee for this.

I have to say that I'm amazed it managed to get this out of hand. But then maybe I'm just used to us being lucky.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Not good, one of my old old SO2s is a section head onboard, some burns and smoke inhalation injuries but hopefully not too much else.
Hope him and his shipmates make full recovery and could be a be a lot worse ..with full complement of marines and sailors, armoured vehicles, MEU ACE (AV-8B Harrier II Plus/MV-22B/CH-53E/AH-1Z/UH-1Y) ..and anything from AGM-65 Mavericks to AGM-114 Hellfires to artillery shells, Zuni rockets, infantry ammo..

Plus during the height of the Vietnam war ...

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Unfortunately, this type of shitp is my day job....

ETA: Try explaining to some brain free squaddie that the bit of hot metal he's just been welding / burning / runining will be hot enough to cause a fire for 60 minutes after he's turned the gas axe off, and that when welding a bracket to a bulkhead one should always check what is on the other side.... before starting.
Back in my day, before any welding or cutting could start, we had to have someone with an extinguisher on the other side of the bulkhead.

The foremast is being reported as collapsed.

Bonhomme Richards is unlikely to return to service.

Apart from an enjoyable day out at HMS Havoc in 2008, I know nothing about shipboard firefighting. How did this fire get so out-of-control that the ship is now a total loss?
the aim on a ship-borne fire is to either a) maintain a continuous aggressive approach and b) if you can't do that, close down all 6 sides of the box and sacrifice the compartment. Closing down also means all the services into the "box" (vent, electricity, HP/LP air) are isolated.

BHR was in teh middle of an "availability", which amongst other things means running lots of cables and pipes throughout the ships, impeding the ability to shut the box down. Hot smoke running through the ship will catch alight things like soft furnishings, chairs etc, starting secondary fires, and now you have lots of boxes to close down, but you still can't.

Add in teh fact we always say that cable coverings etc are fireproof, but I wouldn't be surprised if there have been instances where the fire has been conducted along a cable and started somewhere else.

E2A - there's been speculation from US guys I know that the vent trunking became a chimney, and moved the hot smoke around efficiently. The island is where there are significant amounts of cabins and offices, which won't have fixed firefighting and are stuff full of combustible material.

the aim on a ship-borne fire is to either a) maintain a continuous aggressive approach and b) if you can't do that, close down all 6 sides of the box and sacrifice the compartment. Closing down also means all the services into the "box" (vent, electricity, HP/LP air) are isolated.

BHR was in teh middle of an "availability", which amongst other things means running lots of cables and pipes throughout the ships, impeding the ability to shut the box down. Hot smoke running through the ship will catch alight things like soft furnishings, chairs etc, starting secondary fires, and now you have lots of boxes to close down, but you still can't.

Add in teh fact we always say that cable coverings etc are fireproof, but I wouldn't be surprised if there have been instances where the fire has been conducted along a cable and started somewhere else.
So, in the circumstances that you have described above, what would you have done to try to contain the blaze? Was there a failure in USN damage control procedures?

Yokel

LE
It is not going to buff out.
Lewis Page, Alex Clarke, et al are demanding that the UK purchase the hulk, clean her up, and convert her to a carrier with catapults etc.

Apart from an enjoyable day out at HMS Havoc in 2008, I know nothing about shipboard firefighting. How did this fire get so out-of-control that the ship is now a total loss?
The report of the investigation will be sobering reading and likely to identify multiple events or conditions that made her vulnerable. The saving grace is that no lives have been lost.

By the copper getting hot and causing secondary fires in things in contact with the cables?

So, in the circumstances that you have described above, what would you have done to try to contain the blaze? Was there a failure in USN damage control procedures?
In all honesty, once they lost the first two minutes you need to go big and hard. The hangar/well deck in one of those things is massive, and frankly between that size and the impingements in shutting down, they probably couldn't have saved her after the first couple of minutes.

It'll be easy to monday morning quarterback this, but frankly my heart goes out to the CO and his Ship's Company. This makes me feel genuinely queasy, and we're already re-reviewing our procedures to see how we can be a little bit better.

Mate of mine whose ex U
A Youtube video showing, among other things, the fire being fought by helicopters.
When attended Heli Expo 2020 back in Jan...saw San Diego Fore Department new Sikrosky S-70i Firehawk. In fact their Air Ops is new, hasn’t been around for that long maybe a decade maybe less as they operate Bell 212/412.

Anyhow here are my photos ..

E0622F8A-6BBB-4138-89DD-F37F52996472.jpeg
34882499-1845-4222-B4D1-2D946BFD8F73.jpeg
E93F9D51-2054-4AD0-B17A-8E0827460316.jpeg
0637F47B-9AD6-495D-835D-6A10259D74FF.jpeg
3216EFD9-76F8-454D-901D-CE056CBA6BAE.jpeg
3216EFD9-76F8-454D-901D-CE056CBA6BAE.jpeg
9A350556-00FE-4D8C-B0F2-A2A458F42C89.jpeg
6A5D1246-A2DE-4474-A7C0-3FE5C0FB3956.jpeg
BA6C53AE-4BA4-4974-A8A1-6C280AB2F083.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads