USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

Dafty duck

On ROPS
On ROPs
View attachment 489285

Photo from Navy Lookout Twitter account.
Tweet reads (in case some Arrsers can't access Twitter):

'... fire still burning - bridge engulfed in flame.

17 sailors + 4 civilians in hospitalised but all crew accounted for.

Fire started in lower vehicle deck while ship in maintenance. No munitions onboard.

Suspect ship will be total constructive loss'

Well that's that fooked then.

Edit to add: Just seen an update on Twitter that part of the forward superstructure and mast have collapsed, no pictures to confirm.

Defo only good for scrap now.

Last edited:
I was being facetious, hot works fires are just far too common given the 'special precautions' supposed to be in place.
Fire watch is a boring job
Sometimes you might nod off or just cycle the other side of town to go and shag some rattley single mother you pulled the week before.
For example.

Well that's that fooked then.

Edit to add: Just seen an update on Twitter that part of the forward superstructure and mast have collapsed, no pictures to confirm.

Defo only good for scrap now.
Someone on Twitter got a photo at dusk.
There's meant to be a lot of fuel aboard but Navy reported to have said its below seat of fire.
EcyVaFNWAAAlUoz.jpeg

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Someone on Twitter got a photo at dusk.
There's meant to be a lot of fuel aboard but Navy reported to have said its below seat of fire. View attachment 489306
1594628744757.png

Far from being an emergency, it may just be trying to disguise itself as a Russian aircraft carrier.

JJWRacing

Clanker
the two DDGs on the pier with her were sailed with just the duty watch to get them to a place of safety. Ballsy call, but done well. One of them was FITZGERALD.

I think this is not going to end well.
Really not that hard, with tugs etc, and as the report said there is a shed loads of sailors on hand to help form all ships.

I did my merch firefighting course at Hull fire station. The fireman who trained us said they hated fires on ships in the docks. If it's a house fire and you use a lot of water the house gets waterlogged. If it's a ship fire the ship sinks.
Did my annual marine firefighting course last week. Totally different to a normal shout. Different kit, procedure etc. And it gets hotter than a hot thing as its just a giant metal box. Can't even just smash it with water as it'll sink! Still, we'd put it out.

Really not that hard, with tugs etc, and as the report said there is a shed loads of sailors on hand to help form all ships.
it really is.
putting out a major shipboard fire is like trying to fight a fire on a tall building starting from the roof down.

I did my merch firefighting course at Hull fire station. The fireman who trained us said they hated fires on ships in the docks. If it's a house fire and you use a lot of water the house gets waterlogged. If it's a ship fire the ship sinks.
remember the old fire fighting training film they used to show us on board? That was one of our old tankers used in filming. Looked very realistic, well, it was, the carefully staged fire got out of hand.

it really is.
putting out a major shipboard fire is like trying to fight a fire on a tall building starting from the roof down.
With the floor hot enough that you can't kneel on it, or stand still for too long or your boots melt!

Anyone else reckon there is a sprog WE roundsman on there frantically running around with the tipex, trying to hide the fact he’s signed off 4 hours worth of rounds in a oner?

Either that or a gash bin fire.

Every matelot knows that the number one cause of spontaneous combustion is overfilled gash bins, closely followed by fag ends and leaves being ingested by helicopters.
Funny you should mention that.

I’ve been in a number of fires in my career (fortunately mostly small ones), but one of them dates from the time when smoking was permitted anywhere on the boat.

We’d been closed up at action stations for bloody ages (can’t remember why), when the main broadcast pipe of ‘one all round’ was made and everybody on the boat instantly disappeared in a massive cloud of cigarette smoke as everyone ventilated their lungs with nicotine.

Anyway, this was very soon followed by the somewhat worrying pipe of ‘Fire, fire, fire. Fire in the control room’.

The cause?

The prat of an officer of the watch had lobbed his dog-end into the (full) gash bin without stubbing it out first.

It focused everybody’s attention, at least.

D

Deleted 3147

There's about 1,000,000 gallons of fuel onboard and the fire was raging well into the night, evident it has encroached into the upper superstructure, she now also has a significant list. It's not looking too good.

RBMK

War Hero
Not mil, but in a certain civvy factory of my acquaintance [I worked there] ... we had a fire in the Joiners shop. One of the prat welders had been arc welding up some Gucci new racking. The sprog apprentice on fire watch wandered off to make a brew so it would be ready when they finished the job. According to the accident report few sparks fell into a skip containing shavings and sawdust which hadn't been moved because it was too heavy and the fire blanket wasn't big enough to cover it...

Our own fire crew put the fire out, but only after it had ruined about 1/4 of the joiners' shop including the wooden roof beams. Apprentice removed from company never to be seen again.

Last edited:

Latest Threads