USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

Would that have been the old carrier Victorious? It seems odd that no purge of combustible material took place until aftet the Falklands War.

Call me paraniod but it does not seem long since that fire aboard a French submarine. Who would benefit from this?
I nominate the 'Anti Hong Kong Freedom Party', begins with a C but for the life of me I am unable to remember the name.

Hot works fire? Shurely shome mishtake.
This ship is the third one to carry the name. The first was commanded by John Paul Jones.

Jones's main claim to fame is that he served for two years as First Mate on a slaver.

It's clear, therefore, that this ship has links to slavery so it's understandable that there will be people who are justly aggrieved by its continued existence and will take righteous action to remove a ship with such strong racist vibes.

dabber69

Swinger
Unfortunately, this type of shitp is my day job....

ETA: Try explaining to some brain free squaddie that the bit of hot metal he's just been welding / burning / runining will be hot enough to cause a fire for 60 minutes after he's turned the gas axe off, and that when welding a bracket to a bulkhead one should always check what is on the other side.... before starting.
They joys of being welding sentry on one of HM's war canoes.

dabber69

Swinger
A right mess mattress mess, then.
we had a matress fire on the Bulwark in 80 I think. One disgruntled member of the ships company set fire to all the bootneck mattresses in the FWD hanger. It was before the Falklands so they were all foam. Proper went up big time. The ship was scrapped shortly after. Smoke damage was mahoosive

NSP

LE
Usual cause of ship fires alongside is someone not following safety procedures with a welding torch.
Fire, then cylinders explode. Oxy-acetylene is nasty stuff, especially when exposed to heat.
Welding on deck without anyone bothering to remember what is beneath it is another common cause - despite the PtW system.

NSP

LE
I did my merch firefighting course at Hull fire station. The fireman who trained us said they hated fires on ships in the docks. If it's a house fire and you use a lot of water the house gets waterlogged. If it's a ship fire the ship sinks.
Yeah - there's a reason they labour the point about prevention being better than cure on the fire-fighting part of our refresher course. If you're pumping it in faster than you can pump it out...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone else reckon there is a sprog WE roundsman on there frantically running around with the tipex, trying to hide the fact he’s signed off 4 hours worth of rounds in a oner?

Either that or a gash bin fire.

Every matelot knows that the number one cause of spontaneous combustion is overfilled gash bins, closely followed by fag ends and leaves being ingested by helicopters.

Anyone else reckon there is a sprog WE roundsman on there frantically running around with the tipex, trying to hide the fact he’s signed off 4 hours worth of rounds in a oner?

Either that or a gash bin fire.

Every matelot knows that the number one cause of spontaneous combustion is overfilled gash bins, closely followed by fag ends and leaves being ingested by helicopters.
With us its twats making toast in the mess when pissed.....

EcyUmaAXYAA_ea_.jpeg

Photo from Navy Lookout Twitter account.
Tweet reads (in case some Arrsers can't access Twitter):

'... fire still burning - bridge engulfed in flame.

17 sailors + 4 civilians in hospitalised but all crew accounted for.

Fire started in lower vehicle deck while ship in maintenance. No munitions onboard.

Suspect ship will be total constructive loss'

Attachments

philc

LE
Would that have been the old carrier Victorious? It seems odd that no purge of combustible material took place until aftet the Falklands War.

Call me paraniod but it does not seem long since that fire aboard a French submarine. Who would benefit from this?
No it was Bulwark, I thought the fire was in Pompey but no, off Norway, some one else said started deliberate but I was told they stuffed mattresses in to a mess, left on the lights and away it went. Either way it was mattresses.

No the mattresses were not replaced, in fact I cant remember new mattresses after the Falklands, new No 8s but not mattresses.

From Wiki.

On 28 June 1979, Bulwark was involved in exercise Whiskey Venture, with 820 Squadron (flying Sea Kings) and 45 Royal Marine Commando embarked. Also during 1979, Bulwark was involved in trials of the Sea Harrier.[3] At the start of 1980, Bulwark visited the United States of America; participating in Exercise Safe Passage off the east coast of the United States in late February. On 15 March, while alongside in Philadelphia, a fire destroyed one boiler, which could not be repaired to operational status. The carrier returned to Portsmouth on 2 April, and on 15 April embarked 45 Commando for Exercise Dawn Patrol off Sardinia. In August, Bulwark was involved in Exercise Teamwork 80 off Norway. On 9 November, a major fire damaged the forward hangar and some messdecks. Minimal repairs were performed to both areas in order for her to stay in service until HMS Invincible was commissioned in the spring of 1981.

So two fires in a year, she sat in one of the basins, looking rather forlorn, when they said it might go to the Falklands, how we laughed.

philc

LE
View attachment 489285

Photo from Navy Lookout Twitter account.
Tweet reads (in case some Arrsers can't access Twitter):

'... fire still burning - bridge engulfed in flame.

17 sailors + 4 civilians in hospitalised but all crew accounted for.

Fire started in lower vehicle deck while ship in maintenance. No munitions onboard.

Suspect ship will be total constructive loss'

Lower deck to bridge, thats a write off, lot of damage.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Good thread on what it's like to fight a shipboard fire

Illustrious you say? Gearbox fire off the Island having just sailed, April 86?

I did that. Arrse Search appears to be temporarily down. Sure I'd told this before. Sigh.

Christmas 85 a member of Lusty's crew totalled my car head on. Unsupervised learner, no L-plates, insurance, non-roadworthy car. Thames Valley Police were going to throw the book at him. I was to be star witness at the trial.

Local TV news announced that Lusty was sailing on a two-year round the world cruise. Apoplexy in the Alien household. I phoned Portsmouth Naval Dock yard* and I was as surprised as the next man to be put through to Lusty's OOW. I ranted at him for some time that if Lusty sailed and he was on board, I'd curse the whole ship. He had his day in court to look forward to.

I knew nothing would happen. Really spoilt my day. Next morning, into the Computer Centre, still furious. "Didn't you hear the news? She set sail overnight, and promptly blew a gearbox."

On 3 April 1986[8] she suffered a catastrophic gearbox failure which almost saw the end of the vessel's naval career. Just starting out on her "fly the flag" around the globe trip, at about 23:30 whilst reaching full engine revs, due to an over tightened clamp causing friction and heat it ignited the oil vapour within the gearbox exploded causing a fire lasting well over four hours. Sea Harriers were flown off whilst firefighting continued below decks, and one Sea king took the only casualty ashore (smoke inhalation) Although it was a serious fire it was contained within the forward gearbox room and vertical trunking. Additional vessels including the destroyer HMS Nottingham and Ferry Sea Leopard were in attendance, however Illustrious crew managed to extinguish the fire and she returned to Portsmouth under her own power provided by her aft engine room. Although the ship went to emergency stations at no time was any abandonment considered. There was no loss of life or serious injury, but the trip was put off for several months whilst the ship was taken out of service for extensive repairs. In due course once repairs were completed Illustrious sailed directly to the Far East arriving at Singapore to resume the Eastern end of the Global 86 deployment.
Bastid got his day in court. but I didn't get mine. Rocked up at Bicester Magistrate's Court and after hours waiting to be called, I was informed that TVP had fúcked up his charges. He walked on a technicality. Then they told me they couldn't pay my expenses.

Returned home, wrote a snotty letter to TVP's Chief Constable. Got a cheque the following week.
_____
*could've been embarrassing. Speelchucker chose Portsmouth Naval Rock hard.

Last edited:
A final tweet with an interesting video:

Text from Tweet:

'Fire in the CONEX boxes on the flight deck forward.

CIWS aft of the bridge collapsed.

#BonhommeRichard now developing a more pronounced starboard list

FDs have set up fire monitors on the pier to hit the ship defensively.'

philc

LE
Illustrious you say? Gearbox fire off the Island having just sailed, April 86?

I did that. Arrse Search appears to be temporarily down. Sure I'd told this before. Sigh.

Christmas 85 a member of Lusty's crew totally my car head on. Unsupervised learner, no L-plates, insurance, non-roadworthy car. Thames Valley Police were going to throw the book at him. I was to be star witness at the trial.

Local TV news announced that Lusty was sailing on a two-year round the world cruise. Apoplexy in the Alien household. I phoned Portsmouth Naval Dock yard* and I was as surprised as the next man to be put through to Lusty's OOW. I ranted at him for some time that if Lusty sailed and he was on board, I'd curse the whole ship. He had his day in court to look forward to.

I knew nothing would happen. Really spoilt my day. Next morning, into the Computer Centre, still furious. "Didn't you hear their news? She set sail overnight, and promptly blew a gearbox."

Bastid got his day in court. but I didn't get mine. Rocked up at Bicester Magistrate's Court and after hours waiting to be called, I was informed that TVP had fúcked up his charges. He walked on a technicality. Then they told me they couldn't pay.my expenses.

Returned home, wrote a snotty letter to TVP's Chief Constable. Got a cheque the following week.
_____
*could've been embarrassing. Speelchucker chose Portsmouth Naval Rock hard.
Again vague recollection, but was that not some Stoker who did not want to go on a long deployment throwing a spanner in the works or something to that effect?

Unfortunately, this type of shitp is my day job....

ETA: Try explaining to some brain free squaddie that the bit of hot metal he's just been welding / burning / runining will be hot enough to cause a fire for 60 minutes after he's turned the gas axe off, and that when welding a bracket to a bulkhead one should always check what is on the other side.... before starting.
and to this day, I still hang around my workshop for an hour after doing any hot work on the car or bikes. Old habits and all that.

This ship is the third one to carry the name. The first was commanded by John Paul Jones.

Jones's main claim to fame is that he served for two years as First Mate on a slaver.

It's clear, therefore, that this ship has links to slavery so it's understandable that there will be people who are justly aggrieved by its continued existence and will take righteous action to remove a ship with such strong racist vibes.
The bassist with Led Zep?

@SPROCKET321: you know you said you wanted a new project with an American flavour...

clowns putting batteries in the gash, which then make it into the incinerator. Still never seen the end of Human Traffic.

Latest Threads