USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

apparently the found some co2 cannisters and fuel bottles - this discussion is very interesting - listen to the 2 min point to the chap who read the official report and the point he is making about no obvious evidence against this sailor

Some interesting stuff swiftly followed by crap; 5:55 "did what the Japanese couldn't do at Pearl Harbour." The guy on the left has just enough knowledge to make himself look like an idiot.

Some interesting stuff swiftly followed by crap; 5:55 "did what the Japanese couldn't do at Pearl Harbour." The guy on the left has just enough knowledge to make himself look like an idiot.

totally agree but the guy on the right (Jack pasobec) is an ex navy intel officer who has done some very interesting and detailed investigatory journalism over the last year or so, always well evidenced and sourced

totally agree but the guy on the right (Jack pasobec) is an ex navy intel officer who has done some very interesting and detailed investigatory journalism over the last year or so, always well evidenced and sourced

Yes, he came across very well. Informed and articulate.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Very interesting! I'm going to share that with many of my professional colleagues!

totally agree but the guy on the right (Jack pasobec Pasobiec) is an ex navy intel officer who has done some very interesting and detailed investigatory journalism over the last year or so, always well evidenced and sourced
Pizzagate was well sourced?

Certainly come a long way from the days of the USS Yorktown CV-5

In fact, 187 of the ship’s 216 fire stations – 87.5 percent – were in Inoperable Equipment Status condition at the time of the fire, the report said

I did wonder if the work she was undergoing - would have rendered much of the emergency equipment inoperable - power / water supply disconnected - equipment removed or inaccessable (floors up etc).

My other thought that - cables - airlines required by maintenance teams would be strung out accross the ship - through doorways etc - which is unavoidable since power and air to run them is shore based - would have prevented closing hatches - has been determined to have been a factor.

Im not sure how on a large overhaul programme you can avoid any of the above and theres not a huge amount you can do to mitigate it

The problem is the USN don’t handover refitting ships to the yard; concurrently they keep 1000+ sailors living onboard.

That is the major lesson to take away from this.

The strangest thing is the ships XO, Capt Ray only has 3 medal ribbons. How does an American navalist get to Captain with only 3 gongs?! They get more than that just for joining up don't they?

The problem is the USN don’t handover refitting ships to the yard; concurrently they keep 1000+ sailors living onboard.

That is the major lesson to take away from this.
That does explain the local fire departments arrival - then departure

I can fully support them buggering off so they are availible to deal with residential fires etc in the city - that is after all their job and I doubt they have much experience operatingon ships - Oncce its clear the only people on board are those fighting the fire.

Equally It explains their arrival in an unfamiliar environment when you consider that hundreds could be trapped.

Quite right in my opinion they buggerred off in order to deal with life threatning emergencies rather than saving property

The strangest thing is the ships XO, Capt Ray only has 3 medal ribbons. How does an American navalist get to Captain with only 3 gongs?! They get more than that just for joining up don't they?
It’s called wearing your “top 3”, and generally reflects an individual’s “personal” awards rather than the broader run of the mill stuff they collect. He’ll be entitled to a whole host more.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Both BHR and MIAMI were arson?

I think that's the biggest problem right there.

Both BHR and MIAMI were arson?

I think that's the biggest problem right there.
Indeed.
I just read about the Miami incident on wikipedia, the bloke who set the fire was jailed and ordered to pay...... $400m restitution!

Blogg

LE
That does explain the local fire departments arrival - then departure

I can fully support them buggering off so they are availible to deal with residential fires etc in the city - that is after all their job and I doubt they have much experience operatingon ships - Oncce its clear the only people on board are those fighting the fire.

Equally It explains their arrival in an unfamiliar environment when you consider that hundreds could be trapped.

Quite right in my opinion they buggerred off in order to deal with life threatning emergencies rather than saving property

This is the guts of it.

"After San Diego Fire’s initial response and fire attack, fire crews did not reenter the ship after it was evacuated. SDFD officials said they would support from the pier but not reenter the ship, citing their manual that reads: “‘[a]ctivities that pose a significant risk to firefighters shall only be taken when there is potential to save lives.'”

But it prompted frustration and disagreements with FedFire and the Navy over the city department’s safety policies, investigators noted. After discussing it with the Expeditionary Strike Group 3 commander, the FedFire chief said he told the SDFD chiefs to leave “if they were not going to provide meaningful assistance to fight the fire.”

Clear conflict of objectives. USN types trying to save ship at all costs (knowing what kind of career death would follow failure) SDFD looking at a ship afire stem to stern across three decks, forming a view it is probably done for and not worth the risk especially after the near miss:

"....a city firefighting official told his teams: “This compartment is about to blast.”

At 10:37 a.m., the on-scene command ordered all firefighting teams to evacuate the ship.

At 10:50 a.m., “approximately 90 seconds after the last firefighters had departed the ship, a massive explosion occurred” aboard, according to the report. The ensuing shock wave knocked down people on the pier and blew debris across to Fitzgerald, and massive smoke billowed high into the clear sky across San Diego Bay. The report said that if sailors and firefighters had been aboard, several would have been killed"

he's wearing his top three, a USN option

Latest Threads