Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

endure

GCM
If they're desperate for a replacement for a few years until they can build a new one, a container ship conversion? Been done before.
I suspect that a container ship conversion would be as costly as rebuilding the original. Container ships are just like bathtubs with guides built in.

Why do their baby 40k Ton carriers cost near enough the same as our 65k?

I think the America class is only about 100ft shorter, but it’s a different kind of ship. They’re intended to lift a Marine Expeditionary Unit with all its vehicles, so most of them will have well decks (but not the first two, bizarrely). So the $4bn replacement cost will include the well deck. I think the QE class was a bit less than 8bn pounds for both, so that‘s about $5bn each. Seems about right.

I think the America class is only about 100ft shorter, but it’s a different kind of ship. They’re intended to lift a Marine Expeditionary Unit with all its vehicles, so most of them will have well decks (but not the first two, bizarrely). So the $4bn replacement cost will include the well deck. I think the QE class was a bit less than 8bn pounds for both, so that‘s about $5bn each. Seems about right.
But isn't a well deck just empty space?....

Either they're really not getting VFM or we over paid for ours...

No idea mate, but as a layman, it seems about right to me - I would have thought the design of the Americas might be a little more complicated than the QE class, with the need to flood part of the ship, the back ramp, pumps, accomodation and messing for another 1000 blokes etc. But then again the QE, having more aircraft will need more fuel tanks, magazines etc. Isn’t that just empty space?

I really don’t know, so I’ll leave Naval matters to Naval types!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Flight 0 Americas, USS America & USS Tripoli, do not have a Well Deck. Flight 1s, USS Bougainville onwards, do.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thought that’s what I said? Bizarrely the first two don’t, the rest will.

Apologies, missed that part. Replying to too many threads across several devices

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The other question: would restoring to fleet condition be any quicker than a new-build?

My £5 is on new-build for all sorts of reasons.

5-7 years quoted for a rebuild, may as well just open a new slot in the America build program

Why do their baby 40k Ton carriers cost near enough the same as our 65k?

because theyve (more or less) the same number of radars radios Bridge instruments, CIC, Engines, gearboxes, All of which cos bigmoney compared to the additional 20K Tonnes of steel and wiring

empty space engineered for amphibious vessels surround by all the engineering, ballast tanks, pumps etc to enable the well deck to be flooded down and later raised above the water when the various amphibious vessels have deployed.

bob231

War Hero
empty space engineered for amphibious vessels surround by all the engineering, ballast tanks, pumps etc to enable the well deck to be flooded down and later raised above the water when the various amphibious vessels have deployed.
I suspect the pumps themselves are relatively cheap (they're just big fire pumps...).

All the additional design work - particularly if you're mad enough to want flying and dock ops at the same time - will have eaten a lot of the budget. And the action of docking will impose additional structural considerations, along with making a baby carrier that needs to be able to get close in to shore so your LCs don't run out of fuel on the way in...

riksavage

Old-Salt
Sad loss, but could be RNs gain. USMC F35B presence could be the norm for the next five years or so now they’re down one hull. Plus the remainder of the class are not all F35B compliant.

endure

GCM
I suspect that a container ship conversion would be as costly as rebuilding the original. Container ships are just like bathtubs with guides built in.
Replying to myself I know but here's what a container ship looks like without containers

boxboat.jpg

Latest Threads