USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

RBMK

War Hero
37 minutes for an arrse expert to arrive :)
Unfortunately, this type of shitp is my day job....

ETA: Try explaining to some brain free squaddie that the bit of hot metal he's just been welding / burning / runining will be hot enough to cause a fire for 60 minutes after he's turned the gas axe off, and that when welding a bracket to a bulkhead one should always check what is on the other side.... before starting.

arfah

LE
Yes and no. I remember a fire in Pompey, can’t remember the ship but it was big plus 20,000 tons. It was in dry dock and all the mess mattresses were packed in to an aft mess. Jam packed in as they were to be thrown away. Any way all well and good but they left the mess lights on. All those mattresses jammed in tight, hot mess lights, and it went up. God knows how many mattresses but made a right mess. Never went to sea again.

I know the name will come to me 3 o’clock this morning.
A right mess mattress mess, then.

Been a while since I did my fire fighting training at Phoenix. If they can't fight it directly wouldn't the best thing be to close compartment doors to prevent the fire having access to oxygen? I suppose it depends how hot it is.

The problem with filling compartments up with water in the ship is that the added weight could destabilise it and cause it to capsize.
I think it's on the hanger deck so they can't close it down due to the lifts. Plus she's in maintenance and probably got things in the way of any smoke curtains they have on that hanger deck

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

wheel

LE
Unfortunately, this type of shitp is my day job....

ETA: Try explaining to some brain free squaddie that the bit of hot metal he's just been welding / burning / runining will be hot enough to cause a fire for 60 minutes after he's turned the gas axe off, and that when welding a bracket to a bulkhead one should always check what is on the other side.... before starting.
I,m pretty sure they will not have squaddies welding on a USN ship. But well done.

Live feed here.

Gone back (the vessel) to black smoke after about half an hour of mainly white.

Unconfirmed reports that local fire dept radio has bren heard saying they are letting fire burn itself out. That seems odd but I wholly defer to the views of the Arrse Board of Inquiry.

Usual cause of ship fires alongside is someone not following safety procedures with a welding torch.
Fire, then cylinders explode. acetylene is nasty stuff, especially when exposed to heat.
FTFY

I did my merch firefighting course at Hull fire station. The fireman who trained us said they hated fires on ships in the docks. If it's a house fire and you use a lot of water the house gets waterlogged. If it's a ship fire the ship sinks.
Mate of mine became a firefighter with Humberside Fire & Rescue after discharge. Well, after discharge from MCTC, having inadvertently set-fire to a helicopter.

37 minutes for an arrse expert to arrive :)
It's almost like what you get at an accident scene. Fire, Police, Paramedic, Incident Controller, Doctor and...
20200712_223455.jpg

'Nah mate. It's hydraulic cutters you need for that! Oy mate! CO² for ****'s sake. You'll have someone's eye out if you use dry powder! Do 'ave a word guv! Hold the bells!'

Last edited:
the two DDGs on the pier with her were sailed with just the duty watch to get them to a place of safety. Ballsy call, but done well. One of them was FITZGERALD.

I think this is not going to end well.

maritime

Old-Salt
Usual cause of ship fires alongside is someone not following safety procedures with a welding torch.
Fire, then cylinders explode. Oxy-acetylene is nasty stuff, especially when exposed to heat.
Thats why in the RN we have 'welding sentries'. Where ever there's a 'jan dockie' welding , then a member of the ships company would be literally within arms reach of him with a fire extinguisher.

Yokel

LE
Yes and no. I remember a fire in Pompey, can’t remember the ship but it was big plus 20,000 tons. It was in dry dock and all the mess mattresses were packed in to an aft mess. Jam packed in as they were to be thrown away. Any way all well and good but they left the mess lights on. All those mattresses jammed in tight, hot mess lights, and it went up. God knows how many mattresses but made a right mess. Never went to sea again.

I know the name will come to me 3 o’clock this morning.
Would that have been the old carrier Victorious? It seems odd that no purge of combustible material took place until aftet the Falklands War.

the two DDGs on the pier with her were sailed with just the duty watch to get them to a place of safety. Ballsy call, but done well. One of them was FITZGERALD.

I think this is not going to end well.
Call me paraniod but it does not seem long since that fire aboard a French submarine. Who would benefit from this?

Thats why in the RN we have 'welding sentries'. ...
We usually call that "fire watch" over here... to watch out for fire... not watch the fire.

Latest Threads