USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

Be interesting to see the insurance claim form for this one.

I do hope they went with a decent provider - Churchill, Direct Line, maybe LV...
Bank of Taxpayer...

It'll depend if this is a Government or Private yard as to whether there'll be loss cover...

NSP

LE
Bank of Taxpayer...

It'll depend if this is a Government or Private yard as to whether there'll be loss cover...
I was not being entirely serious...

Mr._Average

Old-Salt
Constructive total loss.

Given the current doctrinal angst within the Corps, which could be described as "big ship, little ship, big ship little ship, cardboard box" it's far from certain she'll be replaced.

It's not like the USN shipbuilding budget is flush at the minute.

Wonder if this might develop into a semi-permanent positioning for one of our carriers for a few years to provide the USMC with some support? We've already worked through a lot of the cross-decking issues and HMS QNLZ is apparently scheduled for a spell in the Pacific so, at a casual glance, it might be feasible.

Yokel

LE
Constructive total loss.

Given the current doctrinal angst within the Corps, which could be described as "big ship, little ship, big ship little ship, cardboard box" it's far from certain she'll be replaced.

It's not like the USN shipbuilding budget is flush at the minute.
One less STOVL platform. Not what Uncle Sam needs. Is the number of LHDs (and the like) mandated by law as CVN numbers are?

spray over and buff with a shammy, she'll be right :p :)
Are you from the MoD and looking for a cheap RFA Argus replacement?

Genuinely curious what the cost of that one would come out at. A good few years depreciation on her but probably with her recent refit it would be North of $1B.
The cost of replacing that capability needs to be considered. Ignoring the uncertainty over the future of US amphibious operations, she is a STOVL platform. In 2003 she took twenty AV-8Bs to the NAG, more recently the LHD based Harriers have been operating against Daesh, and this ship type can carry a dozen or so F-35Bs.

This will be embarrassing for the USN's carrier plot.
They were relying on using F-35 kitted out LH platforms as de facto Fleet Carriers to fill the gap between their mandated 11 big carriers, and their actual 8 on a good day.

Flight 1 LHA's are still in build.

There might, however, be a different view in both the White House and Congress and an additional hull gets added to the America-class LHD programme.
Huntington Ingalls will be tapping up the long lead suppliers as we speak.

They were relying on using F-35 kitted out LH platforms as de facto Fleet Carriers to fill the gap between their mandated 11 big carriers, and their actual 8 on a good day.

You never know, if the next round of defence cuts here bite deep enough there might be a spare one going cheap.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
well, Greta Thunberg will be happy, tonnes of Halon gas were not dumped into the atmosphere to melt polar bears.
I was about to say something suitably crushing like 'Catch On Hey?'

Halon Fire Suppression systems ( as fitted to our old River class boats) were banned in line with the ...ahem... *licks finger, adjusts half-moon rimless specs* ....Montreal Protocol banning the commercial use of CFC's in Jan 1989.

But then I had Second Thoughts:
- has it been rescinded since I was last awake?
- what if the old bozo is right ?
- will the moon-faced Greta become a scorching hotty in her 20's?
- oooh, squirrel !

ETA

Maritime and Coastguard Agency Marine Guidance Note 191 published in 2002 also refers:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ploads/attachment_data/file/282284/mgn191.pdf

* polishes half-moon specs*

Ahem, to my knowledge M'Lud , the published MCA guidance remains extant ?

Last edited:

Halon Fire Suppression systems ( as fitted to our old River class boats) were banned in line with the ...ahem... *licks finger, adjusts half-moon rimless specs* ....Montreal Protocol banning the commercial use of CFC's in Jan 1989.

- oooh, squirrel !
Certain exemptions, particularly for military use, apply. Fire suppression systems are one, but they tend to be in enclosed volumes, and quite clearly that hangar deck wasn't an enclosed volume.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Wonder if this might develop into a semi-permanent positioning for one of our carriers for a few years to provide the USMC with some support? We've already worked through a lot of the cross-decking issues and HMS QNLZ is apparently scheduled for a spell in the Pacific so, at a casual glance, it might be feasible.
With respect to todays open source reporting on QLNZ deployments, you mighty think the RN were already considering this....

- oooh, squirrel !

'Montreal Protocol banning the commercial use of CFC's in Jan 1989'.

Still in military use.

With respect to todays open source reporting on QLNZ deployments, you mighty think the RN were already considering this....

Will they call her USS Robin for comms purposes like last time?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Still in military use.
Show me a picture of one in current Royal Navy service then ?
As I was still serving when they stripped ours out so I am intrigued to know where these holdouts may be? Boomers?

On Second Thoughts dinna fash yer sen - looks like somebody had a quiet word with the Treasury shortly after 2010.

The RN has a moderated bye until ' We are all long-retired and drawing our pensions thank Christ'

Critical uses of halons

Last edited:
Show me a picture of one in current Royal Navy service then ?
As I was still serving when they stripped ours out so I am intrigued to know where these holdouts may be? Boomers?

Under the Montreal Protocol Halon 1301, Halon 1211 and Halon 2402 is illegal in developed countries with the following exceptions.

Use of Halon 1301 is permitted:
  • in aircraft for the protection of crew compartments, engine nacelles, cargo bays and bays, and fuel tank inerting,
  • in military land vehicles and naval vessels for the protection of spaces occupied by personnel and engine compartments, for the making inert of occupied spaces where flammable liquid and/or gas release could occur in the military and oil, gas and petrochemical sector, and in existing cargo ships,
  • for the making inert of existing manned communication and command centres of the armed forces or others, essential for national security,
  • for the making inert of spaces where there may be a risk of dispersion of radioactive matter,
  • in the Channel Tunnel and associated installations and rolling stock.
Use of Halon 1211 is permitted:
  • in military land vehicles and naval vessels for the protection of spaces occupied by personnel and engine compartments,
  • in hand-held fire extinguishers and fixed extinguisher equipment for engines for use on board aircraft, in aircraft for the protection of crew compartments,
    engine nacelles, cargo bays and dry bays,
  • in fire extinguishers essential to personal safety used for initial extinguishing by fire brigades,
  • in military and police fire extinguishers for use on persons.

Still in military use.
But being phased out where possible. And as the production of many of these has ceased, it tends to drive the adoption of alternatives.

Yokel

LE

How many LHA/LHD platforms are based on the USA East Coast and committed to the Atlantic? NATO theatre security concerns have not gone away - and NATO still relies on resupply and reinforcement across the Atlantic. The UK has declared a carrier capability to NATO.

Operations in the Middle East continue.