USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

I suspect using the well deck as a huge dumpster will cease to be an accepted practice,

Original build started 18 April 1995, delivered 12 May 1998.
Entered San Diego May 8, 2018 scheduled to undergo upgrades to operate the F-35B.
A big refit, needs a bit more now.

I saw this article from the US Naval Institute which might be of interest.

USNI article.

DarrenC

Swinger
I suspect using the well deck as a huge dumpster will cease to be an accepted practice,
Well if you haven't got a fully functioning Fire Suppression system there then yes its probably not a good idea, it's not really a good idea any time really.

Well if you haven't got a fully functioning Fire Suppression system there then yes its probably not a good idea, it's not really a good idea any time really.
well, Greta Thunberg will be happy, tonnes of Halon gas were not dumped into the atmosphere to melt polar bears.

Yokel

LE
Do you go to your bank once per week and demand that the manager count out your balance in notes and coins?
No but it had no impact on my activities.

I have done things that have involved regular masters of sensitive items, which I put my name to, which was then checked. The point is that a formal process prevents anyone from being able to say they did not know. It also creates a chain of accountability.

It's melted, and the right hand circle shows where one of the masts has collapsed.

Constructive total loss.

Given the current doctrinal angst within the Corps, which could be described as "big ship, little ship, big ship little ship, cardboard box" it's far from certain she'll be replaced.

It's not like the USN shipbuilding budget is flush at the minute.

It's melted, and the right hand circle shows where one of the masts has collapsed.
So knowing nothing about naval architecture... Is any of the upper works built on monocoque principles rather than built on a structural frame? Big holes in a monocoque are normally a bad idea...

Constructive total loss.

Given the current doctrinal angst within the Corps, which could be described as "big ship, little ship, big ship little ship, cardboard box" it's far from certain she'll be replaced.

It's not like the USN shipbuilding budget is flush at the minute.
There might, however, be a different view in both the White House and Congress and an additional hull gets added to the America-class LHD programme.

So knowing nothing about naval architecture... Is any of the upper works built on monocoque principles rather than built on a structural frame? Big holes in a monocoque are normally a bad idea...
The sum total of my knowledge of NavArch is "ooft, that's not going to polish out".

Not sure why you think the Navy will be asked its opinion on replacing it....Trump will put on Twitter the following "Richard Bonhomme...rise from the ashes....MAKE IT HAPPEN"!!

Dafty duck

On ROPS
On ROPs
Various news sites now quoting "US Navy experts" that it is indeed a write off.

NSP

LE
Various news sites now quoting "US Navy experts" that it is indeed a write off.
Be interesting to see the insurance claim form for this one.

I do hope they went with a decent provider - Churchill, Direct Line, maybe LV...

Dafty duck

On ROPS
On ROPs
Be interesting to see the insurance claim form for this one.

I do hope they went with a decent provider - Churchill, Direct Line, maybe LV...
Genuinely curious what the cost of that one would come out at. A good few years depreciation on her but probably with her recent refit it would be North of $1B.

Latest Threads