USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

I was onboard for both those fires Boiler room one we had every firefighting appliance in Philadelphia taking part. The mattress one was far worse, foam mattresses giving off BFO amounts of toxic fumes. Amazing no one died. Took months to clean up the smoke damage. The bloke that started it got away with it as well. Not enough evidence
Do they call you Lucky ... .;-)

We called them "Fire sentry".
"We" call them "dicked for duty" to "pull fire watch."

Our crayon eaters "Marines" just call them, and the duty, "fire watch." Most of them also think that their National Defense Medal ribbon is for "fire watch" and will call it their "fire watch ribbon"

Indeed. If it turns out to be some wholly avoidable negligence, or worse, horseplay gone wrong, I can see teddies being firmly thrown in corners. Do they still court martial COs for loss of their ship other than to enemy action?
This seems to be the relevant bit.. USN Navy Regulations Chapter 8 Section 3 regs 0870 0871...

"Chapter 8 THE COMMANDING OFFICER Section 3. Special Circumstances Subsection A. Ships in Naval Stations and Shipyards .
0870 Movement of Ships at a Naval station.
1. No ship or craft shall be moved or undergo dock trials during its stay at a naval station, except by direction or with the approval of the commanding officer of such station.
2. A ship arriving at, or departing from, a naval station shall be furnished such assistance, including tugs when available. as in the opinion of the commanding officer of the naval station or of the ship may be necessary for her safe handling.
0871. Responsibility for Safety of Ships and Craft at a Naval Station or Shipyard.
1. The commanding officer of a naval station or naval shipyard shall be responsible for the care and safety of all ships and craft at such station or shipyard not under a commanding officer or assigned to another authority, and for any damage that may be done by or to them. In addition, the commanding officer of a naval station or shipyard shall be responsible for the safe execution of work performed by that activity upon any ship located at the activity.
2. It shall be the responsibility of the commanding officer of a ship in commission which is undergoing overhaul, or which is otherwise immobilized at a naval station or naval shipyard, to request such services necessary to ensure the safety of the ship. The commanding officer of the naval station or naval shipyard shall be responsible for providing requested services in a timely and adequate manner. "

The bloke that started it got away with it as well.
Unlike the contractor who started the fire on USS Miami, who is still paying off the $400 million fine the judge imposed upon him along with the nigh-on 20 year prison sentence. And that was with the mitigation due from a guilty plea applied...

On a brighter note the stores department are happy as **** - "oh that one, sadly it melted in the fire"
Had a parked Humvee take a mortar hit in 2005 baghdad, you'd be amazed at all the stuff it apparently had inside

at least they claimed it had inside

I still have an A/N PAQ-4 and a set of PVS 14's from it

Blogg

LE
USN still making brave noises but
Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck says he intends. she will ‘sail again shortly’.
well, full marks for optimism.
Sobeck appears to have been more content neutral as befits a senior being standing in front of the meejia with a gopping disaster to talk to. Said that he was “absolutely hopeful” that everything possible was being done to make sure the Bonhomme Richard could sail again.

Perhaps in the sense that many are absolutely hopeful that everything possible is being done to make sure HS2 will come in on time and under budget

dabber69

Swinger
Do they call you Lucky ... .;-)
Bought her out of preservation 78 and put the key under the mat in 3 basin when we de-stored in 81. Happiest ship I served on. Dirty, manky, old and VERY rusty however brilliant ships company and good runs ashore.

Ships Fires believe it or not in those dark days of the 70/80s were fairly common.

Unlike the contractor who started the fire on USS Miami, who is still paying off the $400 million fine the judge imposed upon him along with the nigh-on 20 year prison sentence. And that was with the mitigation due from a guilty plea applied...
I'm not sure he'll be starting to pay it off yet, he'll still be in clink. I think you get 20 years to work on it after release.

ETA: Just looked him up... he's in pokey at Ft Dix

Bought her out of preservation 78 and put the key under the mat in 3 basin when we de-stored in 81. Happiest ship I served on. Dirty, manky, old and VERY rusty however brilliant ships company and good runs ashore.

Ships Fires believe it or not in those dark days of the 70/80s were fairly common.
A propos of nothing: a few years ago, two of my colleagues, were, respectively, late RNR (boss or XO of one of their Ton-class during the mid- to late- 1970s) and late RN. One morning coffee, the former was regaling his audience about some dramatic moment he'd had to deal with, involving, if memory serves, some French fishermen doing something they shouldn't have been and not expecting to run into the might of the RNR.

He ends the story and turns to the former RN chap: 'Harry, you must have had something interesting like that happen to you?' he says brightly. Harry thinks for a moment.

'Well, there was that moment my aircraft carrier caught fire...'

I'm not sure he'll be starting to pay it off yet, he'll still be in clink. I think you get 20 years to work on it after release.

ETA: Just looked him up... he's in pokey at Ft Dix
LOL when they were converting barracks at Dix for the new prison, My unit was using them. Had a Cpl who bought 144 box cutters and was hiding them all over the building, as the next tenants would be Federal prisoners

Cheaper to rebuild or scrap and buy another?

Not going to sea anytime soon
The WASP class are no longer built. I'd suggest that repairing her would be a huge (and v expensive) undertaking.

Surely the load-bearing structures are weakened beyond use and there'll be warping of the hull?

I'm no expert but it looks like a write-off.

Latest Threads