USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck says he intended she will ‘sail again shortly’.
"Once. Then it becomes a tourist attraction - if you can hold your breath, and a haven for aquatic life."

dabber69

Swinger
No it was Bulwark, I thought the fire was in Pompey but no, off Norway, some one else said started deliberate but I was told they stuffed mattresses in to a mess, left on the lights and away it went. Either way it was mattresses.

No the mattresses were not replaced, in fact I cant remember new mattresses after the Falklands, new No 8s but not mattresses.

From Wiki.

On 28 June 1979, Bulwark was involved in exercise Whiskey Venture, with 820 Squadron (flying Sea Kings) and 45 Royal Marine Commando embarked. Also during 1979, Bulwark was involved in trials of the Sea Harrier.[3] At the start of 1980, Bulwark visited the United States of America; participating in Exercise Safe Passage off the east coast of the United States in late February. On 15 March, while alongside in Philadelphia, a fire destroyed one boiler, which could not be repaired to operational status. The carrier returned to Portsmouth on 2 April, and on 15 April embarked 45 Commando for Exercise Dawn Patrol off Sardinia. In August, Bulwark was involved in Exercise Teamwork 80 off Norway. On 9 November, a major fire damaged the forward hangar and some messdecks. Minimal repairs were performed to both areas in order for her to stay in service until HMS Invincible was commissioned in the spring of 1981.

So two fires in a year, she sat in one of the basins, looking rather forlorn, when they said it might go to the Falklands, how we laughed.

I was onboard for both those fires Boiler room one we had every firefighting appliance in Philadelphia taking part. The mattress one was far worse, foam mattresses giving off BFO amounts of toxic fumes. Amazing no one died. Took months to clean up the smoke damage. The bloke that started it got away with it as well. Not enough evidence

Yokel

LE
Stock control 18th Century style...
Are you saying you cannot see the value of those with certain areas of responsibility taking charge and putting their names to a legal document, which is then handled in a formal way and signed to prove that it has been read?

Too many accident reports comment on information being lost or not passed up the chain, or on a lack checks and balances.

I was onboard for both those fires Boiler room one we had every firefighting appliance in Philadelphia taking part. The mattress one was far worse, foam mattresses giving off BFO amounts of toxic fumes. Amazing no one died. Took months to clean up the smoke damage. The bloke that started it got away with it as well. Not enough evidence
Why did they not steam drench?

How does the Navy actually account for shit like this? I should imagine the CO at any one time has no idea how many small arms are in the armoury. Say it’s scaled for 1000 rifles. He isn’t going to know or care if it’s 996 because 4 were u/s and backloaded, and are awaiting replacement. Or how much beef is in the POs Mess kitchen fridge, or whether the JR’s Mess has 3000 or 4000 eggs on hand.

I suppose they rely on department heads to erm, run a tight ship, but if it’s gone up in smoke, so have the stores and the records. Perhaps they do, but I don’t imagine computer records of stores issues and receipts are backed up to shore. That would use a shit ton of bandwidth when at sea. How many mattresses are we supposed to have, Billy? 2500 Sir, but I’m pretty sure we had to burn about 50 after the last run ashore, and they haven’t been replaced yet.

Must be a nightmare to quantify what you should have, what you actually have, and where the difference is, especially when the whole shooting match is on fire.
All companies do inventory counts and investigate and account to losses or gains. I bet the military does the same especially with weapons. I for sure know once a month know what our inventory state is.

Last edited:
Are you saying you cannot see the value of those with certain areas of responsibility taking charge and putting their names to a legal document, which is then handled in a formal way and signed to prove that it has been read?

Too many accident reports comment on information being lost or not passed up the chain, or on a lack checks and balances.
Do you go to your bank once per week and demand that the manager count out your balance in notes and coins?

dabber69

Swinger
Why did they not steam drench?
The boiler room fire was self combusting you could not steam drench just boundry cool. Hanger wise the fire curtain was lowered and stopped a lot of smoke damage. With the mattress fire we were told post fire that if it were an Invincible class carrier she would have been a write off. How they worked that out I dont know

Who’ll refit it and put it back out to sea as a functioning warship. Like they did that Russian one.....
Given the little scamp's tendency to rob stuff, do you think they don't have the plans to build that particular class of vessel already? :twisted:

Do you go to your bank once per week and demand that the manager count out your balance in notes and coins?
You bloody well should do. Make the beggars work to have the pleasure of holding onto your hard-earned :twisted: .

Because the boilers would be cold alongside and under maintenance

ETA: because all the steam was hiding in the bottom of the condensers.
HMS Bulwark under maintenance in Philadelphia - unlikely.

Dead steam doesn't hide in the bottom of the condensers, the extraction pumps put it into buckets and takes it to the main feed tank.

dabber69

Swinger
HMS Bulwark under maintenance in Philadelphia - unlikely.

Dead steam doesn't hide in the bottom of the condensers, the extraction pumps put it into buckets and takes it to the main feed tank.

We were getting steam up to sail the following day. The grease monkeys stuck their lit rag into the boiler to ignite the pre heated FFO and that was it up she went. All the airlock doors worked and no one was as far as I know hurt apart from the grat issue of new undercrackers. Stokers and FRRP bods did a sterling job except we ran out of AFFF pretty rapidly.

Bonus extra week in Philly

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
How does the Navy actually account for shit like this? I should imagine the CO at any one time has no idea how many small arms are in the armoury. Say it’s scaled for 1000 rifles. He isn’t going to know or care if it’s 996 because 4 were u/s and backloaded, and are awaiting replacement. Or how much beef is in the POs Mess kitchen fridge, or whether the JR’s Mess has 3000 or 4000 eggs on hand.

I suppose they rely on department heads to erm, run a tight ship, but if it’s gone up in smoke, so have the stores and the records. Perhaps they do, but I don’t imagine computer records of stores issues and receipts are backed up to shore. That would use a shit ton of bandwidth when at sea. How many mattresses are we supposed to have, Billy? 2500 Sir, but I’m pretty sure we had to burn about 50 after the last run ashore, and they haven’t been replaced yet.

Must be a nightmare to quantify what you should have, what you actually have, and where the difference is, especially when the whole shooting match is on fire.
There's a whole storing/destoring process we use. All accountable items, crypto, weapons, ammo the whole shebang gets accounted for and processed. I imagine the USN won't be too different, ships in refit are ripped back to pretty basic states.

There's a whole storing/destoring process we use. All accountable items, crypto, weapons, ammo the whole shebang gets accounted for and processed. I imagine the USN won't be too different, ships in refit are ripped back to pretty basic states.
'Cos dockies are theiving bastards that will nick anything not nailed down!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Latest Threads