USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Looks like a fire has broken out on the USS Bonhomme, whilst alongside in San Diego

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Not good, one of my old old SO2s is a section head onboard, some burns and smoke inhalation injuries but hopefully not too much else.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
Wikipedia trolls are quick off the mark. At the bottom of the intro paragraphs on uss Bonhomme Richard.
“It is currently on fire after being attacked by chinks”

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
As a nautical type, is it possible to recover the ship or would it be a total loss with that kind of damage?
All depends. She's been in the yards for about 18-24m having a post deployment refit, she'll have had all manner of work being done.

Mostly depends upon how well they closed it down and suppressed it, luckily sailors are quite adept at firefighting, so it might look bad, but could be recoverable.

RBMK

Old-Salt
Usual cause of ship fires alongside is someone not following safety procedures with a welding torch.
Fire, then cylinders explode. Oxy-acetylene is nasty stuff, especially when exposed to heat.

Usual cause of ship fires alongside is someone not following safety procedures with a welding torch.
Fire, then cylinders explode. Oxy-acetylene is nasty stuff, especially when exposed to heat.
Hot works fire? Shurely shome mishtake.

Augustus

War Hero
I’ll be watching this over the next few hours to see if they follow the Indian Navy solution as demonstrated on the Hermes/Virat when she caught fire alongside.

They filled her with enough water to sink her. Put the fire out though.

Yes, and this is the result.
I was being facetious, hot works fires are just far too common given the 'special precautions' supposed to be in place.

Not a good look . I would guess a total loss.
I wouldn't jump straight to a loss. We have brought ships back from worse fire damage, and the yanks have just brought back two Destroyers with worse structural damage. I think the large Hanger is allowing the smoke to spread everywhere making it look worse.
In the end it will all depend on the money.

Been a while since I did my fire fighting training at Phoenix. If they can't fight it directly wouldn't the best thing be to close compartment doors to prevent the fire having access to oxygen? I suppose it depends how hot it is.

The problem with filling compartments up with water in the ship is that the added weight could destabilise it and cause it to capsize.

endure

GCM
I’ll be watching this over the next few hours to see if they follow the Indian Navy solution as demonstrated on the Hermes/Virat when she caught fire alongside.

They filled her with enough water to sink her. Put the fire out though.

I did my merch firefighting course at Hull fire station. The fireman who trained us said they hated fires on ships in the docks. If it's a house fire and you use a lot of water the house gets waterlogged. If it's a ship fire the ship sinks.

Checks it's not tied up alongside at Bandar Abbas

Definitely not Mossad for this one.

wheel

LE
37 minutes for an arrse expert to arrive :)

philc

LE
Yes and no. I remember a fire in Pompey, can’t remember the ship but it was big plus 20,000 tons. It was in dry dock and all the mess mattresses were packed in to an aft mess. Jam packed in as they were to be thrown away. Any way all well and good but they left the mess lights on. All those mattresses jammed in tight, hot mess lights, and it went up. God knows how many mattresses but made a right mess. Never went to sea again.

I know the name will come to me 3 o’clock this morning.

Latest Threads