Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

USN Blue Angels to Convert to Super Hornets

Silly me....I thought that's where the supply of retreaded Flight Lieutenants came from, to fly the Grobs and give cadets a tour of the parish or operate the UAS aircraft.

UAS QFIs and AEF pilots come from a variety of backgrounds.

Most Flt Lt UAS QFIs (if not all, I believe) are ex-QSP (Qualified Service Pilot) FTRS Limited Commitment posts. As I understand it, the only full-time officer on a UAS now will be the Sqn Ldr OC.

AEF pilots are either the self-same UAS QFIs, retired VSOs, the odd FL pilot who is bored at weekends, and the occasional pilot in a ground tour. It's not mandatory at all for aircrew posted to ground tours to fly anything at all during that tour - in fact it's very much the exception rather than the rule.

As an aside, contrary to popular belief there are no 'hours-that-must-be-flown-per-year' to retain RRP (Flying), previously known as Flying Pay. Once awarded, RRP (Flying) is continually paid unless the recipient loses their med cat or re-branches for reasons various. I believe that 'non-traditional aircrew' (eg E3 back-end mission crew / airborne techs, and shiny AT fleet cabin crew) have bespoke pay spines to reflect the variations in their airborne / ground borne roles. Magic Mushroom may know more about this latter than I.

I thought they gave you desk jockeys a go in a jet once a year to keep the wings up.

Err, nope.

Maintaining currency (let alone competency) is just a tad more complex than that.

@Magic_Mushroom not even some sim time?...

Still nope.

Silly me....I thought that's where the supply of retreaded Flight Lieutenants came from, to fly the Grobs and give cadets a tour of the parish or operate the UAS aircraft.

Nope again!

...Once awarded, RRP (Flying) is continually paid unless the recipient loses their med cat or re-branches for reasons various...

Not quite correct. RRP(F) is reduced over several years and then removed if an individual refuses a return to flying or flying related posts.

...I believe that 'non-traditional aircrew' (eg E3 back-end mission crew / airborne techs, and shiny AT fleet cabin crew) have bespoke pay spines to reflect the variations in their airborne / ground borne roles. Magic Mushroom may know more about this latter than I.

Most ‘non-traditional’ aircrew (E-3D ABMs/ATs, ATs on RJ and IAs on Sentinel) receive normal RRP(F) while on flying tours but lose it immediately they’re posted.

Stewards receive only crew pay, again only while on a flying tour.

RPAS(P) get no RRP(F) although I suspect that this will change soon.

Regards,
MM

So, for example, would you be able to maintain your Instrument Rating or even an SEP rating, as a most basic level?

No. But what purpose would it serve for a staff officer - whose original type may no longer even be in service - to take valuable flying hours from front line aircrew?

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Err, nope.

Still nope.

Nope again!

Not quite correct.

Regards,
MM

@Magic_Mushroom behind his desk these days.

$_86.JPG