USN Blue Angels to Convert to Super Hornets

I don't know where that Bo**ocks comes from but you can put it back. It is as inaccurate as it is unnecessary. The total mass of the combat aircraft in the RAF, whether crewed, fueled and bombed up or just the airframes is a meaningless number, what we have is 'not enough aircraft'.
Lack of aircraft numbers is certainly the main factor although remember that Combat Air is not only provided by the RAF but also the RN (and technically the Army with AH). However, ‘mass’ also includes factors such as payload, endurance, sortie generation rate, munitions stocks as well as aircrew and groundcrew numbers and experience.

For instance, we could have 300 F-35s. However, if we only have 100 pilots of whom most are inexperienced, and a tiny stock of weapons, you have no mass/depth/capability (whatever you want to call it).

...WTF does a desk jockey 2 , 3, 4 Star need to fly ? Just because he was a pilot 20 years ago?

Would he fly in combat?
‘Desk jockeys’ (in whose ranks I must now sadly include myself) do not fly (other than occasional sorties as supernumerary/pax to keep in touch with current op issues).

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
What are you trying to sell?
Cheap trainers or cutting edge fighters and the image they project?

If you want wizzy aerobatics, hire the Brietling display team.
Really??? Your knowledge of actual military affairs and the requirements of UK Defence is so small it is worrying. But that said you don't really need that much exposure to just get the wets in at Whale Island do you????

From an amateur observer’s perspective, over 50 years of watching air displays, I, and my friends, have become terminally disappointed with the modern aerobatic display teams. In my youth I watched the Red Arrows in Gnats do tight displays virtually within, or very close to the airfield boundary. Nowadays, my friends and I call them ‘The Red Wherearetheys’ - the displays seem so gentle, spread-out and over such a vast area that they disappear for ages.

I have the greatest respect for all involved, but to this curmudgeonly old git it seems that the excitement has been greatly reduced because risk and danger has to be greatly reduced. Air displays aren’t what they were ... for better, or worse. I’m just glad I was a kid when I was.

Fast jets can go fast in straight lines and make lots of noise. However, in my view the more intricate formation aerobatics by Teams such as the Reds and Frecce are far more entertaining than what the T-Birds and Blue Angels do.

Either way, we can neither afford nor need to go back to a Typhoon display team.

Regards,
MM
Quite. Think of the time and cost of building Hawker Typhoons from scratch.
RB396 will be an interesting restoration.
Hawker Typhoon RB396 » Restoration

Last edited:
You've got the Red Arrows and the BBMF flying the flag for you. Short of the massed ranks of the Armed Forces walking down Oxford Street naked, what more do you need to attract attention?!

Bear in mind too that a combination of the turning circle of an FJ plus various post-Shoreham restrictions on venues (see the Reds doing just a fly by at Farnborough this year) means that as well as being very expensive, the FJ team would be more limited in both its display formations and UK airshows at which a display could be conducted within the confines of the airfield and the constraints of the regulations.

I bow to PhotEx Red 1's direct experience as I simply derive the above from working with the likes of Andy Offer, Pablo O'Grady, Boomer Keith and Dave Montenegro in the past few years and discussing such matters en passant, and assuming they might know what they're talking about.
We all know a Red 1, so don’t think you’re special or anything...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
From an amateur observer’s perspective, over 50 years of watching air displays, I, and my friends, have become terminally disappointed with the modern aerobatic display teams. In my youth I watched the Red Arrows in Gnats do tight displays virtually within, or very close to the airfield boundary. Nowadays, my friends and I call them ‘The Red Wherearetheys’ - the displays seem so gentle, spread-out and over such a vast area that they disappear for ages.

I have the greatest respect for all involved, but to this curmudgeonly old git it seems that the excitement has been greatly reduced because risk and danger has to be greatly reduced. Air displays aren’t what they were ... for better, or worse. I’m just glad I was a kid when I was.
You'd have loved Shoreham.

Lack of aircraft numbers is certainly the main factor although remember that Combat Air is not only provided by the RAF but also the RN (and technically the Army with AH). However, ‘mass’ also includes factors such as payload, endurance, sortie generation rate, munitions stocks as well as aircrew and groundcrew numbers and experience.

For instance, we could have 300 F-35s. However, if we only have 100 pilots of whom most are inexperienced, and a tiny stock of weapons, you have no mass/depth/capability (whatever you want to call it).

‘Desk jockeys’ (in whose ranks I must now sadly include myself) do not fly (other than occasional sorties as supernumerary/pax to keep in touch with current op issues).

Regards,
MM
I thought they gave you desk jockeys a go in a jet once a year to keep the wings up.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

Red Arrows - Morris Dancing for jets.