Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

USN Blue Angels to Convert to Super Hornets

It's been announced that the USN will trade in their existing FA-18C/D 'Classic' Hornets for FA-18E/F Super Hornets by 2022.
us-navy-blue-angels-2014-3.jpg

Regards,
MM

Pffft.

The Black Cats are now a 4 man display team.

Still only two aircraft, mind. Not sure if the other two blokes do the mapreading stuff, fix them or just strut about on the ground looking cool. All three probably.

Using training aircraft is like having a bicycle display team with tricycles.

Really? How many Hawks have we sold, and how much is this down to the advertising by the Red Arrows? I seem to remember seeing a documentary about the Reds years (eons!) ago in which someone (the OC?) stated that it was about demonstrating pilot skills as opposed to the aircraft.

Are you suggesting reforming them with Typhoon? Or F-35B?

Using training aircraft is like having a bicycle display team with tricycles.

Fast jets can go fast in straight lines and make lots of noise. However, in my view the more intricate formation aerobatics by Teams such as the Reds and Frecce are far more entertaining than what the T-Birds and Blue Angels do.

Either way, we can neither afford nor need to go back to a Typhoon display team.

Regards,
MM

Fast jets can go fast in straight lines and make lots of noise. However, in my view the more intricate formation aerobatics by Teams such as the Reds and Frecce are far more entertaining than what the T-Birds and Blue Angels do.

Either way, we can neither afford nor need to go back to a Typhoon display team.

Regards,
MM

What are you trying to sell?
Cheap trainers or cutting edge fighters and the image they project?

If you want wizzy aerobatics, hire the Brietling display team.

What are you trying to sell?
Cheap trainers or cutting edge fighters and the image they project?

If you want wizzy aerobatics, hire the Brietling display team.

That is why you have a Typhoon (maybe F-35B in future) solo or pair for display, in addition to the Reds. Not so long ago I was talking to a RAF Media Ops type who said the Reds had contributed to some serious diplomacy/deal making in the Far East.